The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

JumperRider95 Guest

Arrow Clinician Ring Usage and Auditing Fees??

Hi all! I have a question regarding boarding barns and dealing with clincians…

I board at a small open barn (no trainer on staff) with a mix of different disciplines...dressage, hunters, jumpers, eventers and a couple of semi-retired mounts. The facility is fantastic…two outdoor arenas, some cross country fences in the field and a tiny indoor arena (rare in my region) that makes rainy days workable.

BOs are fantastic and give excellent care to each of the horses as if they are their own. Board rates are average for the area, and I am very happy here. What’s more…a barn with NO drama!

Lately, though, BO has been bringing in a few different clinicians on the weekends. We’ve had a couple of BNTs come in a do a day here and there of private or group lessons, which is a nice option from time to time since there isn’t an on-site trainer, and I don’t have a trailer to haul out for lessons. Pricing is a little steep (for me) per hour, but they are BNTs and I am a believer in, “You get what you pay for”.

However, the frequency of these events are increasing, which means that the outdoor arenas are unusable more often than they used to be. This weekend a really BNT is coming, and will be using the arenas for both days, all day. They are even hauling some fences out into the field, so that will be off limits, too. Virtually all outdoor riding space is taken up for the clinic.

I am not able to afford this particular clinician, and my greenbean horse is not physically capable of the tasks that would be required of him after a year of layup…he just started back in the last week and a half and can barely canter around turns, let along work over fences.

As someone who works full time, the weekends are generally the only time I get to come out to the barn and be able ride, relax and not be rushed. I’m frusterated because not only will I not be able to use the arenas again this weekend, but they are charging an auditing fee, even to boarders of the farm! It’s not a huge amount of money, but on principle, I really don’t feel like I should have to pay to watch when I can’t even ride.

For the record, they are paying BNT a flat fee, and riders are paying the BO and the other boarder who is putting this on, so BNT is not asking for auditing fees…he couldn’t care less.
    Essentially they are trying to get their clinic for free, or for profit which I have no problem with until it comes to bite me in the butt for not wanting to (BNT is not of my discipline) or being able to participate.

Am I wrong for being frusterated with lack of ring usage on the weekends…and as boarder of the farm being asked to pay an auditing fee? How would you approach this if asked to pay?

Technically I could ride in the tiny indoor, but as I stated, my horse is coming back from an injury and can not sustain a canter through the short sides. I guess I just really don’t feel like I should have to be shut away on a weekend when it’s going to be beautiful and sunny out…I have to ride in the indoor during the week as it's dark by the time I can get out there...

1 members found this post helpful.

How is one clinician using both rings at the same time? Are you sure they aren't swapping rings based on the excercises for the different divisions? If so, can you ride in the ring they are not using? If not, and you don't want to use the indoor, why not take your horse out on a nice hack out of the ring?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

I can see how it would be frustrating. Kind of like boarding at a barn that has shows frequently when you are not the showing type.

I can not imagine they will charge you the audit fee if you show up to tend to your horse and happen to watch a bit.

I agree with RockinHorse. Find out what the ring schedule is.

If you are stuck inside make the best of it, do lots of trot work, etc.

I can understand charging an auditor's fee for everyone attending, regardless of whether you are a boarder or not. The short term solution seems to be pretty easy to me: save your money and take this weekend off from riding.

Long term, it sounds like your barn is making a change that may not suit your needs. I would ask the BO what the barn show/clinician schedule looks like for the upcoming riding season (without whining). If it looks like the barn is going in a different direction than it has been in the past, and it will not suit your needs, I would quietly begin barn shopping. Heck, it is spring, EVERYONE goes barn shopping this time of year, whether they are planning to make a move or not. Get yourself into a situation that better suits you and your horse, and move along without burning your bridges.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Do you have a boarding contract and does it say anything about ring use?

Contract probably doesn't have the complete answer, but it may be a place to begin discussions with BO. "My contract says I have full use of arenas, but lately I feel like the clinics are really cutting into my riding time. Can we discuss?"

If contract says "full use except when used for clinics ..." you may be out of luck.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

JumperRider95 Guest

Default To clarify...

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    How is one clinician using both rings at the same time? Are you sure they aren't swapping rings based on the excercises for the different divisions? If so, can you ride in the ring they are not using? If not, and you don't want to use the indoor, why not take your horse out on a nice hack out of the ring?
    They are using one of the rings (an Olympic size dressage arena) for warm-ups and watching whatever rider is on course or doing an exercise in the main jump arena. They are dropping a couple boards on the jumping arena fence so that they can have do a course a la a hunter derby...sounds like fun!

Normally I would go out on a hack off the property, but this property is surrounded by yahoos that like to fire guns and ride around on ATVs...which is great for desensitizing, but not good for the horse that has just come back from injury and out by himself... Guess I'll be relegated to the indoor on a freaking beautiful weekend... Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I can see how it would be frustrating. Kind of like boarding at a barn that has shows frequently when you are not the showing type.

I can not imagine they will charge you the audit fee if you show up to tend to your horse and happen to watch a bit.

I agree with RockinHorse. Find out what the ring schedule is.
    Except that's why I chose this farm...no show pressure, no crazy schedules to avoid. Oh well.

As for the auditing fee, I know they would charge. A new boarder shipped in last week with two kids ponies. BO immediately started trying to sell them on the clinic (even though it is NOT a beginner friendly instructor, and these kids are very much beginners). When the mom mentioned that the kids would like to just watch some of it, BO told her, "Well, then paying the auditing fee would be appropriate." Really?! I mean, I know you're running a business here, but when you inconvenience the people who pay the bills and then ask for MORE money just to be there I find that ridiculous.

And I LOVE my BO. I really do. That is why I am having a hard time grappling with this a little bit. That, and I hate confrontation.

If you love your BO then talk to her.

Be honest. Tell her that you do not feel it is fair for you to have to pay an audit fee if you are just watching a little while you happen to be there to take care of your horse that you are not able to ride because of the clinic.

I can see asking you to pay if you are bringing a chair and hanging out all day.

You sound like a reasonable person, I would just talk to your BO. It may be that the income from these clinics (including the auditing fees) are what is keeping the board in the middle range when it sounds like an upper range facility. In that case, you may need to either suck it up or move. However, perhaps your BO could designate another field or area for boarders to ride in while clinics are going on, or she could adjust the clinic scheduling a little so that non-participating boarders would have a chance to ride on the weekends.

When you talk to her, keep in mind that running a boarding operation for riding horses is at best a break even business. Most barns make their money with training and sales. And business owners DO have a right to make some money for all of their time and effort.

I do not think it is reasonable for you to pay an audit fee just for being out at the barn at the same time as the clinic, however, if you want to stand or sit ringside and watch any of it then I think it is your BO's prerogative to ask for the auditing fee if she wants.

[QUOTE=JumperRider95;5482964]Hi all! I have a question regarding boarding barns and dealing with clinciansT;
    his is the time to make lemonade out oflemons; perfect ori.e., do halt transitions; iso the perfect halt or close to it half
    I board at a small open barn (no trainer on staff) with a mix of different disciplines...dressage, hunters, jumpers, eventers and a couple of semi-retired mounts. The facility is fantastic…two outdoor arenas, some cross country fences in the field and a tiny indoor arena (rare in my region) that makes rainy days workable.

BOs are fantastic and give excellent care to each of the horses as if they are their own. Board rates are average for the area, and I am very happy here. What’s more…a barn with NO drama!

Lately, though, BO has been bringing in a few different clinicians on the weekends. We’ve had a couple of BNTs come in a do a day here and there of private or group lessons, which is a nice option from time to time since there isn’t an on-site trainer, and I don’t have a trailer to haul out for lessons. Pricing is a little steep (for me) per hour, but they are BNTs and I am a believer in, “You get what you pay for”.

However, the frequency of these events are increasing, which means that the outdoor arenas are unusable more often than they used to be. This weekend a really BNT is coming, and will be using the arenas for both days, all day. They are even hauling some fences out into the field, so that will be off limits, too. Virtually all outdoor riding space is taken up for the clinic.

I am not able to afford this particular clinician, and my greenbean horse is not physically capable of the tasks that would be required of him after a year of layup…he just started back in the last week and a half and can barely canter around turns, let along work over fences.

As someone who works full time, the weekends are generally the only time I get to come out to the barn and be able ride, relax and not be rushed. I’m frusterated because not only will I not be able to use the arenas again this weekend, but they are charging an auditing fee, even to boarders of the farm! It’s not a huge amount of money, but on principle, I really don’t feel like I should have to pay to watch when I can’t even ride.

For the record, they are paying BNT a flat fee, and riders are paying the BO and the other boarder who is putting this on, so BNT is not asking for auditing fees…he couldn’t care less.
    Essentially they are trying to get their clinic for free, or for profit which I have no problem with until it comes to bite me in the butt for not wanting to (BNT is not of my discipline) or being able to participate.

Am I wrong for being frusterated with lack of ring usage on the weekends…and as boarder of the farm being asked to pay an auditing fee? How would you approach this if asked to pay?

Technically I could ride in the tiny indoor, but as I stated, my horse is coming back from an injury and can not sustain a canter through the short sides. I guess I just really don’t feel like I should have to be shut away on a weekend when it’s going to be beautiful and sunny out…I have to ride in the indoor during the week as it's dark by the time I can get out there...
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Why did you resurrect this old post?

1 members found this post helpful.