The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dear exceptional riders, where are you hinding?

Last edited by holaamigoalter; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:27 AM.

Maybe you should put a hint to where you are. You might some PMs from here.

They're probably riding. Being a barn manager/rider is a entirely different ballpark than being a rider. If that's what you're advertising for you are getting barn managers that can ride, not riders and trainers. If someone is an exceptional rider and trainer, they generally think they are past the barn manager point of their life. Sorry for your troubles, but a job that requires riding and working is going to be hard to fill if you're looking for a high-caliber rider rather than a human lungeline.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    They're probably riding. Being a barn manager/rider is a entirely different ballpark than being a rider. If that's what you're advertising for you are getting barn managers that can ride, not riders and trainers. If someone is an exceptional rider and trainer, they generally think they are past the barn manager point of their life. Sorry for your troubles, but a job that requires riding and working is going to be hard to fill if you're looking for a high-caliber rider rather than a human lungeline.
    Last edited by holaamigoalter; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:28 AM.

holaamigoalter

My boss is not an easy person to work for at all (and has a reputation for it)
    This.
    Unless it's riding for GM, why would a good candidate want to bother ? Lotta nice private barns to rde/work for.

We have only been advertising for riders. We only do sales and have 1-2 other full time people so "barn manager" really is just ordering grain and being at the barn when the boss isn't there. Not a real manager position.
    Ok, that's more reasonable. Well, if you are advertising (where?) specifically for riders, then it must be something else that is getting you unqualified candidates. Location, reputation (good or bad, one will bring all sorts of people out of the woodwork, one will only get you the people without the experience to have heard of you.), phrasing, or just dumb bad luck. Of course, most of the qualified candidates are in FL right now, and most get jobs by word of mouth and connections. Presumably your boss has explored all his connections to find out if they know someone who would suit? When you say you only do sales, does that involve showing, or just marketing from home? Lack of showing could turn some people off.

I'd say lack of showing would be a turn-off back when I considered this type of career. And a shitty boss. Maybe those are your issues?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Not saying this is the case with this barn, but some barn owners can get a reputation among the members of the equestrian community and can become avoided.

Some barns advertise for help in other states, and it sad to hear stories of people who feel they have move back home with all their possessions after only being able to remain in a situation for a few months.

With some barns it just seems like the same story repeats itself over and over again, and I wonder if the owners ever think to consider that the problem may be something that they themselves have the power to resolve.

Last edited by holaamigoalter; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    Not saying this is the case with this barn, but some barn owners can get a reputation among the members of the equestrian community and can become avoided.

Some barns advertise for help in other states, and it sad to hear stories of people who feel they have move back home with all their possessions after only being able to remain in a situation for a few months.

With some barns it just seems like the same story repeats itself over and over again, and I wonder if the owners ever think to consider that the problem may be something that they themselves have the power to resolve.
    Nope they just blame their staff/instructors/trainers.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I'd say lack of showing would be a turn-off back when I considered this type of career. And a shitty boss. Maybe those are your issues?
    In general, I'd say "I'm right here!" until I considered the above and read this part about your boss:

Quote Originally Posted by holaamigoalter View Post

Another side to this story is the girl that is leaving has been here forever and he created her from scratch and molded her into his little robot. He wants to replace something that he created which is a high expectation. Very, very big shoes to fill.
    Not to bash the guy, but it sounds like he wants a walking contradiction-- be a great rider which means you think, decide and improve a horse... but also be his robot.

You won't find that in one person. Call it ego, call it age or something that comes with the experience it sounds like you guys want in a rider. Maybe he does have to make up a new one for himself.

To help, then, can you think of ways to sweeten the deal for the rider?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Last edited by holaamigoalter; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:31 AM.

Why can't you fill the position and they hire a person to fill your role?

I worked for people like this. It doesn't take grit, it takes lack of self-worth. How many screaming matches go down in your arena? Being a rider is a tough, tough job. We are always replaceable. I hated watching over my shoulder, so I finally built my own place and went out on my own.

Your post has confused me a bit because you stated that it's a great place to become a great rider, yet you are seeking a "made rider" to jockey the horses. An exceptional "made" rider doesn't want to be yelled at.

A truly gifted rider does most of their best work in the sanctity of the moment they build with the horse they are sitting on. They won't tolerate a bully smashing up that moment.

My assistant/ rider is invaluable to me. I encourage her and tell her when she's making good decisions. I don't belittle her and make her feel crappy. She knows when the ride is not good, the horse tells her and you feel crappy anyway.

When I was an employee, I knew the barns not to apply to. They were frequently advertising the same positions; the descriptions seemed a little make believe too. My best jobs were had by word of mouth. You might want to try posting through some of the equine colleges, I bet there are some talented riders there hungry for some experience, and niave enough to not be treated with respect.
    So... to tidy up my post, are your horses just so amazing that only John French can ride them? What is so special about "his" method that any well schooled, 1/2 way decent rider couldn't execute with some proper guidance?

If this guy has this reputation, well then. Sheesh. I'm not a "rider", but if you've got this reputation or I "smell it on you", I'll be nice and shake your hand. And then NEVER CALL YOU AGAIN.

Too old/smart for that kind of crap. And no, I wouldn't take it from GM either.

Ditto Mrsbradbury. People who put up with that kind of abuse are either too stupid to realize they are being abused, are *so* used to it from other parts of thier life that they already don't value themselves, or are just biding thier time and looking for something without the abusive boss. (and maintaining an income in the meantime)

I've worked for some of the best and worst on this side of the country. The ones who got me to stay were the ones that didn't treat me like crap.

I thought I knew who your boss was, but I realize that guy's been dead for 10 years. But OH the flashback!!

Definitely check out the equine colleges especially Virginia Intermont and William Woods College. Riders coming out of college are still used to being told what to do (and being yelled at) and may still be unformed enough (although good riders) for your boss to mold into his methods.

A person who is willing to accept your boss's word as God is what you're looking for. Someone who has learned enough to know what works for them and has had experience that proves it, will be unable to put aside their own methods for his.

I could've worked with the deceased trainer right out of college, and like you would've thrived and learned so much. Instead I went in another direction, gained lots of personal experience. 12 years after college I did have the opportunity to work for him and BOY did that not work out! I dared to question the great one and that was not allowed. Enjoy your time with your trainer and good luck with your search.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

"He wants to replace something that he created which is a high expectation. Very, very big shoes to fill."
    Oh, please. He needs someone with small feet to grown into the over-sized shoes.
    You say "the only ones who don't last here are the egos" -- but typically someone who is a talented (and proven) rider / trainer justifiably has some self-esteem / and self-confidence that perhaps can be interpreted as "ego".
    Having someone to be there when "the boss" is not... and ordering feed...and training / riding sales horses sounds like a pretty vague offer. Not all that enticing.
    Your "boss" most likely will need to lower his expectations for now and start from scratch if the rider must automatically know what he would have her do.
    Someone who has experience and has a successful career thus far will have some opinions, you know.

I agree with most of what has been said here. It sounds like you have a very, very narrow market of possible applicants. Add in the fact that a lot of people are down in Florida and your applicant pool has dwindled significantly.

I think the colleges would be a great place to look for an employee. On the technical side, how are you advertising? Word of mouth? Job postings online? If you have any kind of written ad, whether it's online or off, go through it again. Should it be rephrased? Is it giving the wrong impression?

Honestly it sounds like your boss' expectations are very high and somewhat unrealistic. Add in an... interesting work environment and I can understand why it's taking so long to fill the position.

It still doesn't excuse the resume padding though. Oh the fun stories I could tell about that.

Why work for someone who is hard to work for? Personally, I don't care how great the job is in all other aspects, if the boss is a pain in the rear to work for, and KNOWN for it, I wouldn't even bother. Life is too short to be unhappy. If I want to get hollered at, I'll take a lesson. There's nothing worse than dreading going to work every day.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Again where are you located ... So I can PM you if it's in an area that is desirable. The gruff old trainer isn't a concern , unless it's counter productive to good training and riding and thinking .. every good rider can read a horse and adjust his or her methods to a specific situation, indeed even create new methods on the spot. If the trainer in question methods are SOP for every situation and every horse then this isn't the type of job I would recomend to a good rider. Even old ancient trainers need to be open to new ideas and creativity. I teach this to the very few riders that I work with (the ones who can handle me) . So where are you located , the ones that aren't afraid from the posts may contact you .

Last edited by holaamigoalter; Apr. 19, 2011 at 02:31 AM.