The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Horse sore in sacral area, need chiro/alternative suggestions?

I know Haymarket has a vet that does chiropractic, but does anyone have any other suggestions? I've heard good things about Dr. Casey/Kasey??

My horse started acting funny during our ride last night, so I worked her on the ground today and checked her all over. Her back was fine until the Sacral area, she was sore and flinched a bit. It's not her legs, I did flexions and she was fine. I'm going to give it a few days and see how she does with light power walking and lots of stretching. She's been a bucking queen out in the pasture with the other critters, gotta love Spring Fever. I have a feeling she probably just tweaked it.

Anyone know if a massage might be more beneficial right now?

Oh....btw, I need something in NOVA.

http://talentmash.com/treating-equin...-light-therapy

http://www.thermotexhorse.com/

or a magnetic blankets.

I used infrared therapy on one of my horses that slipped on ice and damaged the same area, unbelievable results, but sounds like my situation was a little more extreme. Massaging the area helps with your fist or a human massage ball. It might not be out of place either could be more of a strained ligament and then fussing with it more could make it worse. Magnets help heal things faster due them creating more circulation in the given area. Yep bucking can for sure do some damage. Best of Luck!

This is like...a one time thing. I don't want to invest in magnetic blankets or anything.

By alternatives, I mean more along the lines of chiropractic, massage and acupuncture.

Joyce Harman is the BEST!

go to: www.harmanyequine.com

She is in Flint Hill.

IME sacroiliac pain is not just a quickie thing that responds to a little bit of something.

IME injections are the only way to go. Been there, done that with the mesotherapy, acu/chiro, massage, etc.---diddly poo.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    IME sacroiliac pain is not just a quickie thing that responds to a little bit of something.

IME injections are the only way to go. Been there, done that with the mesotherapy, acu/chiro, massage, etc.---diddly poo.
    yup. don't let a chiro touch that with a ten foot pole.

If the horse damaged the SI and you don't really know what the full issue is yet chiro may not be the ansser. And most SI injuries are in the soft tissue right over the top of the croup.
    If this soft tissue in inflamed the worst thing to do is let a chiro go torquing on the joint. That just adds to the inflamation.

you can have the soft tissue injected and the joint injected. But you need to know where the issue is first.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Totally agree with Deltawave. Massage therapist didn't even scratch the surface w/ my big guy's lower back pain, & I think the chiropractor actually made it worse. After xrays to make sure he didn't have a spinal issue ('kissing spine'), & a thermograph which showed some heat in the lower lumbar area, the vet suggested trying a SI injection to see how he responded. It seemed to improve a little bit after the first injection, so a month later he injected it again & within days he was noticeably feeling much better. He's been sound ever since (almost a year now).
    Back issues take lots of time & patience. No quick cure. If your vet doesn't do SI injections, get some recommendations for someone in your area who does.
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

Most of the folks in my chiro class quit doing injections (or greatly reduced the number needed) when they learned how to adjust, they found they didn't need them anymore.... Some of these people were injecting quite a few SI joints prior to coming to school....

My thoughts are sometimes you need an injection, sometimes you don't, I try the non-invasive things first.. If I can't get relief, then I'll send them for an injection.

OP, If you do go the injection route, have it done by someone that does a lot and preferably ultrasound guided, so you get it in the right place....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    My thoughts are sometimes you need an injection, sometimes you don't, I try the non-invasive things first.. If I can't get relief, then I'll send them for an injection.
    Sounds like my chiropractor..and the way I try to do things. After our stretch session this morning she's already looser and not as sore to the touch this evening. Going to stretch her one more time, continue in the morning then maybe watch her movement. If she keeps getting better I'm going to keep stretching her out for a few days before I make any decisions or phone calls.

I'm pretty sure this: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7404630_n.jpg is what did her in...she's been doing that constantly for days. Picking fights with everyone. Poor llamas...

Dr. Nolan at Piedmont is one of their top lameness vets, and a chiro also. He can approach it from the chiro side or medical/lameness too. I think he'd be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    Dr. Nolan at Piedmont is one of their top lameness vets, and a chiro also. He can approach it from the chiro side or medical/lameness too. I think he'd be a great choice.
    Thank you! If I can get her to load, I'll probably end up taking her to her current lameness doctor. But I'll keep Dr. Nolan in mind, I believe I've heard of him before.

If you find a vet that specializes in chiro they should know how to handle it. I've seen about half of horses with s/i issues need injections, the other half just chiro and rehab. Often seems to depend on the severity and how long the issue has been going on before the owner recognized it.

Best of luck, they can be extremely frustrating to deal with.

Joyce Harmon is good.

Even better is Stephen Dill. He is not local, but does travel into the NoVA area (he came to me when I lived in Fairfax). Hands down, the best chiro/acupuncture vet in the area.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Ok, just an update - that night I checked her there was no more tenderness in the sacral area. At all...

There was some minor heat in the lower lumbar area (last two of the lumbar vertebrae). Massaged it, put some mineral ice on it, stretched her out and walked her. Then this morning it was gone, she wasn't stiff or anything. Then tonight (after a bucking fest because I was paying attention to another horse) I rechecked her back and now there's mild heat in the upper lumbar area. Did the same thing, will recheck in the morning. If she's not showing any more improvement by tomorrow night, I will start calling vets/chiropractors.

Why not just call the vet/chiro and have her checked out? It's extremely rare that they would not find anything wrong with her anyway. That way you can make sure you are doing the right thing. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    Joyce Harmon is good.

Even better is Stephen Dill. He is not local, but does travel into the NoVA area (he came to me when I lived in Fairfax). Hands down, the best chiro/acupuncture vet in the area.
    Agree with the Dr. Dill recommendation, he's the best, IMO

(I posted to this effect on the OP's wall on FB too, she is a FB friend.) Good luck with this, and I hope it resolves!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    Why not just call the vet/chiro and have her checked out? It's extremely rare that they would not find anything wrong with her anyway. That way you can make sure you are doing the right thing. JMHO
    Because my horse is a chronically self-inflicting injuries on herself Normally, I give her a few days off, light massage and mineral ice then she's back at full speed.

I'm calling all the chiro's/vets suggested right now. I just came on to write down all their names.