The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Offerings for the Novice Three Day

OK folks, one of my enablers and I were discussing prizes for our N3DE and T3DE this past week.

She was proposing a cash award for completion that would be drawn at random from all competitors that complete.

Would the possibility of a cash prize of $250 be motivating for you to enter?

What would you, as a competitor, like to have as prizes?

Other than the standard ribbons, we award the prize packages that are donated and then channeled through the USEA for the T3DE, plus the following:

Highest placed OTTB
    Best conditioned
    Best x/c Ride
    Best Turned Out

We have also offered highest placed from Indiana, Highest Placed Jr/YR.

Thanks for any input.

Lee Ann

I think the cash prize is great!! I always think a halter with the show name/division champion is nice, or a sheet. You could do a closest to optimum time award? Oldest horse award?

Would also loooove if a late summer/fall HT in the midwest could do a N3DE or T3DE. I have talked to several people (myself included) who wish they could go but the fitness/qualifications probably won't happen in time for the June event

Cash is boring . . . but a can of diesel fuel might be nice!

I personally like ribbons. Down to 12th place, 'cause that's where I usually finish!

Halters are also wonderful, as are saddle pads. I'm pretty traditional, I guess.
    Click here before you buy.

I have a friend with a chair like this (a bunch of other places carry them, maybe cheaper) that she takes to horse shows. What about embroidering it with IEA T3DE Champion or N3DE Champion? They'd be super-convenient for around the barn!!
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Mar. 14, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

i dont know why, but i've always though a nice eventing watch would be a good prize at the lower levels. 1. because most don't have them yet at BN/N 2. it helps you learn to rate yourself/horse 3. they are expensive and need to be replaced often (at least for me)

i would love to win one, but i am a practical gift lover!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Oooh, chairs.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    I think the cash prize is great!! I always think a halter with the show name/division champion is nice, or a sheet. You could do a closest to optimum time award? Oldest horse award?

Would also loooove if a late summer/fall HT in the midwest could do a N3DE or T3DE. I have talked to several people (myself included) who wish they could go but the fitness/qualifications probably won't happen in time for the June event

You do know the qualifications don't have to be in the same year?

There is the Hagyard Mid-South Team Challenge, Training 3day and Prelim 3day event. It is in October in Area VIII at the KHP.

Or, as LAZ suggested, you can get qualified to do the one in Indy next year.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I guess in general I'd rather have some sort of merit-based prize than a random drawing (so, attach that money to an award) but any money can't hurt!

I think if I were doing a N 3-day I'd probably like to see really nice completion prizes, maybe more so than a single lump sum award, just because that weekend will be the culmination of many dreams.

I always love picture frames as prizes, plus it makes competitors more likely to buy pics to put in them to commemorate.

Cash is great, maybe a picture of them receiving it if you feel they need something to hang on to.

I don't care - you have just Made My Year ... N3D ??? REALLY ??? OMG. I am SO excited !!!

I love the idea of something for completion, but even just one of the small, cheap ribbons saying that I survived would thrill me. Halters (or just the plate to put on a halter), saddle pads, chairs, and of course cash are all nice. I hope N3Ds catch on so that when my boy and I are done taking our time enjoying BN and move up there will be one within driving distance. Thanks LAZ for putting this one on!

I think doing completion ribbons as well as prize ribbons in a great idea.

I love picture frames and have them from my CCI* (with appropriate picture - one of my favorite things)

Not so into saddle pads (because I am fussy about them), but love halters, coolers, quarter sheets, galloping boots.

Because it is the N3DE, things for the "moving up" eventer a thought like an eventing watch, cross country boots, stud kit, etc. Stuff you don't really use at novice, but start to need above that.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

We already do completion ribbons for everyone, you get it pinned on when you go out of the show jumping ring.

We do additional prizes for all divisions of our HT's--we pin to 8th and 1st-3rd get prizes in addition to ribbons, I think this year we're giving coolers with the HT's and first place embroidered on them. The 3 days get more even more loot, and this question is for the additional stuff.

I really try to make the 3 days as big a deal for everyone as possible, but not everyone is going to finish in the ribbons or be one of the major prize winners. Hence the thought that we might do a drawing for cash prizes (which one of our COTH members has donated). We just need some help deciding the best way to use that prize money.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep them coming. We really appreciate the help!

Another ribbon "ho" here! The bigger the better. After organizing a show or two--I saw that gi-normous ribbons are not really that much more expensive than dinky ones. I feel like when we event, we could do all three phases really well, and still not go home with a ribbon. My dressage buddies come home with like, 6 huge ribbons from the weekend (most of which were from divisions of less than 5 riders). If we have a great weekend (all the stars align) we come home with ONE ribbon. And some of the really big horse trials sometimes give the smallest ribbons (*cough, cough* May Daze).

I love the completion ribbons for a 3-day--I remember those from my CTR and endurance rides--"to finish is to win".

Also--I like horse "wearables" to show off your achievement. Saddle pads, saddle covers, halters, and I like the chair idea.

Could the $250 go to the person who improves their score the most over the weekend? Maybe?

So someone who leads start to finish gets their ribbon, but the person who drags themself from last place after dressage to... 9th... just out of the ribbons but OH SO CLOSE... gets a bonus?

Or... Maybe this only works at BN when you're riding an opinionated mare who usually has a 50 in dressage and jumps clean without fail...

New horse came from Hunterland so he isn't qualified yet...we are still planning to do the regular HT at IEA though! I am excited to watch the 3DE's and it will motivate us even more to get qualified!

I love the idea of chairs, or what about embroidered stall guards?

For a recent 3rd at Ocala I got a nice Nunn Finer no slip pad. I thought that was pretty good for a third place finish! RH fall HT for 1st was a bucket of stuff: no bow bandages, vet wrap, linament, scraper, gift certificate from photographer for $20 off an order. Pretty neat stuff I would use.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com