The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Friesian Peeps- body clipping a friesian!!!

Nobody panic! Just breathe!

I know I am about to commit some sort of friesian fairieland high treason but my friend's friesian is not a good sweater. Doesn't handle Texas heat well, and has anhydrosis. As an aside, this is a nice horse, nice manners, doesn't go to shows. I am a good clipper and I just have the the horse's well being as my top priority and am doing the clipping at the owner's request.

In my experience (I have a nonsweater too), clipping helps them in the heat so much better. So, regardless of what the friesian 'rules' say, this hairy po is getting body clipped.

I give my own horse the full monty, but what do I do about all of this big boy's sparkly fairy magikal hair? Obvs, I want to leave his feathers so he can keep some of his magikal hair ...but my question is what do I do about the legs? Do I leave them alone from the the elbows and thighs down or from the hocks and knees down?
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I clip one here at my barn and stop right below the knees, so it looks like he has bell bottoms!

We just had Miss Priss clipped yesterday! She also doesn't do so well in the Texas heat and isn't a great sweater. We stopped AT THE KNEES - I don't even WANT to know what terrible curses will fall on you if you trim the majikal hair.... I think she looks pretty snazzy with her new trim!

Thanks Friesian Peeps! May the majikal friesian fairieland powers be with you!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Default Shave it all off! :)

Trust me, there is nothing magical about Friesian hair. It's a royal pain in the a$$!

When I give my mare a full body clip, I take everything off the head, neck, body AND legs, leaving only a little feather off the back of the fetlock to hide those ugly thickly skinned ankles and pasterns the breed has.

I clip all the way around her coronary band and pastern, the front of the ankle, blending the sides into the feathers I leave in the back for asthetic reasons. Trust me, if she had nice looking ankles I'd shave it all off! (I hate feathers)

I then clip front and sides of the cannon bone, blending the back of the tendons into the ankle about half way between the back of the knee and the fetlock.

I do this for the hinds too, just replace "knee" with "hock" and it's the same procedure.

I've even been known to pull her mane and trim the dock of her tail.

I have not yet been struck down by lightning.

Have at it, make the horse comfortable. To hell with all that hair!

ETA: http://daatje2009.webs.com/All%20New...0Meet%2013.jpg Here's a good look at how I trim her legs.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like to go until just below the knee so that there is nice definition--no stove pipe leg!!

Daatje--nice dapples!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Some Freisians look better with fully shaves legs anyhow as MANY have crap for feathers. Crossbreds almost always have to be shaved to avoid the "five oclock shadow" look like a man's beard. The feathers seem to not pass on unless they come from a the other parent if it is a hairy legged breed, lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Daatje--nice dapples!!
    Hey, thanks! She's got crazy dapples. Even now, coming out of winter, although her shedding coat is more of a chocolate-y color. It's all that good food she's so serious about eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post

ETA: http://daatje2009.webs.com/All%20New...0Meet%2013.jpg Here's a good look at how I trim her legs.
    Wow, wow, WOW! What a fantastic horse! Your turnout is lovely too.

Happy hunting!

And, I would clip whatever horse needed clipping, feathers be damned!

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    Wow, wow, WOW! What a fantastic horse! Your turnout is lovely too.

Happy hunting!
    Thanks! She's my baby doll. Happy hunting we will go! I can't wait until August, when our season starts up again.

When my friend's first arrived she clipped him completely ASAP!
    She keeps his feathers off always. I think he looks incredible. His feathers are so fast growing that she clips them often.
    He looks less "drafty" when cleaned up. Still has the nice mane and tail though.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"