The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flex Tree VS Ralide Tree?????

My husband and I are trail riders and his current saddle doesn't fit his horse. We are looking into buying him a new Circle Y trail saddle that has a Flex 2 tree. I have a Ralide tree in my saddle and wonder what the differences are. If the Flex tree is better, I may buy one myself! Does anyone know what the differences are between the two?

The flex tree has a very very little amount of "flexibility" or "give", its almost imperceptible, but it does give. A Ralide tree is manufactured using a molding process, which lowers production costs and makes Ralide trees more economical. Ralide, like its wood competitor, proves to be durable, flexible, and strong - but no give.

One is not better than the other, its personal preference.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Quote Originally Posted by horsefool View Post
    My husband and I are trail riders and his current saddle doesn't fit his horse. We are looking into buying him a new Circle Y trail saddle that has a Flex 2 tree. I have a Ralide tree in my saddle and wonder what the differences are. If the Flex tree is better, I may buy one myself! Does anyone know what the differences are between the two?
    I have a Circle Y Flex tree saddle and I love it. Here is some info on the different trees.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddle-trees.html
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

If the saddle is comfortable for the rider, why not try the corrector, flex panel in a pad with shims for adjustment. With careful shim adjustment it will take care of most fit problems. I have one I use to make a western reining saddle fit a paso fino, it took extra shim pads I made from closed cell foam, (cut from one of those thin sleeping pads) but it works.