The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default cold weather collection tips?

Just what the title says We did our first test collection today and it was 37 degrees out. The collection shed is separate from the barn, so we have to run it up to the lab. What temps do you all fill your AV? I have a heated "hat" for the end of the AV that is supposed to help, but are there any other ideas to make sure the little swimmers don't get too chilly??? When I looked under the scope, I'm sure some of them had on fur coats....
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    Just what the title says We did our first test collection today and it was 37 degrees out. The collection shed is separate from the barn, so we have to run it up to the lab. What temps do you all fill your AV? I have a heated "hat" for the end of the AV that is supposed to help, but are there any other ideas to make sure the little swimmers don't get too chilly??? When I looked under the scope, I'm sure some of them had on fur coats....
    We'll heat the AV to the hotter end of the range - 130 degrees Fahrenheit. You know those nifty little heat packs you can get in the pharmacy department to put on your back? the ones with hte peel off adhesive? Get a few of those and stick to the bottle inside the hood. They need oxygen to activate them and you want to give them 15 or 20 minutes to warm up, so don't put a neoprene hood over them and don't get them wet. But, we've found they work really, really well in super cold weather. Those insulated hoods just don't cut it, especially if the boys are a bit slow to "warm up" to the task <no pun intended>

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Thanks Kathy! I'll try that
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com