The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default eventing watch substitution????

Looking to get an event watch and just wondering if the watches they make for runners (especially the triathlon ones--like Ironman etc.) would work just as well? I see they are priced much lower than the typical "event" watches? Anyone tried one to see if they work as well?

I ride with my everyday Timex Ironman in stopwatch mode. I know others who use a regular watch as well, but prefer the "timer" mode (which counts down instead of up). The only difference is the numbers are smaller and there's no beeping on the minute - but neither of those bother me at my smurfy level.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I have used a Timex Ironman for several years.

I start the Interval Timer a minute ahead of time, and start the stopwatch when they say go. That way I have both the minute beeps and the running time.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I love my Timex for every day, but I can't see the numbers on xc, plus the buttons are on the small side for me when I'm wearing gloves and juggling a whip and reins. But if you're not a dork like me, go for it. Maybe try the men's, as I think the face is a little bigger.

I have an Ironman and the Big Yellow Watch. The Ironman has too small buttons and too many options (wrong things I could hit/start) for me to be messing about with it at the startbox! Plus no way could I read it at gallop speed.

Jennifer

I have a $10 Wal Mart watch with a large display (maybe 2/3 the size of the numbers on the BYW) and a stop watch function. It doesn't beep, but beeps throw me off anyway. The bonus is I could get it in my colors.

I just went into Wal Mart and picked through every cheap watch until I settled on this one.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

I went to target and got the watch with the biggest display. It was on clearance for $4

Mrs. KS used a Soccer Ref's watch for many years - almost identical to the BYW and MUCH cheaper - still available here http://www.soccer-referee.com/watches2.htm

Must admit I've been very impressed by the Garmin GPS watches (as used in the Speed Study) that also give you speed & distance. The price for them has come down a lot recently (below $130 on Amazon).
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I have used my ironman watch and it works great, but it wasn't that much cheaper than an eventing watch. I recently purchased an eventing watch that matched my colors and I love it... it was about $60 after taxes (only $10 more than my ironman) from the local tack shop but i know they sell the same brand on Dover.

I've been interested in hearing the reviews on the new whip watch. I can't see how this would be any better than a regular watch, but it's still interesting...
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=II00172

I use my $30 Timex on the stopwatch function, works just fine for me!

Default cool watch, but not cheap

At the fancy running store near my house they have an awesome looking watch that I think is a Timex for just under $90 I think.

It has a huge screen, you can tap the screen with a finger to start and stop it, no fussing with buttons (unless you want to).

It has a pacing feature that you can use to see if you are ahead of or behind your pace. You set the timing, let's say you want to be at a certain spot at 1:57, another spot at 2:22. As you get to each spot, you tap the face and it will beep at you saying if you are ahead or behind your time.

It has interval settings to use for trot/canter sets and whatnot with a good number of intervals possible.

And it is not yellow. The ones I saw come in black and navy.

I bought the expensive eventing watch and it lasted one year. I got a sponge bob square pants watch out of a cereal box and it has lasted four years!