The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hi All!! Newbie needing advice!!

I am new to the sport and was hoping you veterans could give me some tips on beginning eventing. I have a 7yo 14.2 Morgan gelding that I have had since he is two. I just trail rode him for years until I moved to an H/J barn a couple years ago and started taking lessons and training. He is somewhat spastic but strangely dependable..hard to explain. He's a real character!! But he's super smart and willing so I think we would really enjoy it. What would be the proper way to begin conditioning him? Are you allowed to wear a watch? I am doing just the 18in class in a schooling show. Thanks!!

Welcome!
    Go to the top of the forum and click on "Eventing FAQs". Post #5 is all about getting started in eventing. Read through the threads there and that will give you an idea of what more you need to know.
    To answer your specific questions:
    1. Special conditioning is not terribly necessary at Tadpole/ 18" levels beyond the riding/schooling that you will need to do to prepare.
    2. Watches are allowed at all levels in recognized competitions, but schooling shows can set whatever rules they like so check with the show management.

Do you have a good event instructor? If you give your general location then people can help you find one.

If you do a search you might find posts about other people who event Morgans.

while CookiePony is right, normal training is probably enough conditioning for the 18" schooling Trial, there are still combinations of skills and fitness work that should be fun for both you and the pony. Keep trail-riding! long trail rides, with alot of trotting are great. and find a place that you can school over the typical logs and small jumps found in an 18" XC course, to make sure he will canter around confidently. you can look for hunter paces or look into fox hunting as a way to go on some longer rides.

Thumbs up

for a beginning, the tadpole will give you some idea how much fun eventing is.I would ALSO suggest that you become involved not only as a competitor, but as a VOLUNTEER, as you will be able to gain much knowledge by working with and observing others in the sport. the bigger events ALWAYS need volunteers, and it's a great way to 'give back' to the sport...you'll meet lots of great people, too!

Rick in VA

Volunteer! Jump judging is fun and educational. Depending on what events are near you, you may get to watch some world-class pros up close. You learn a ton about eventing and how the whole thing works. It doesn't improve your riding, but it does give you a lot of understanding about the process so it's one less thing to worry about.

I just looked for that thread about the various beginner levels. I think I hit the right thread button , but what came up from the link was gibberish on yahoo.

Please repeat the advice. I'm starting back in again after many years away. I have a Wofford clinic in May to prepare for. Horse has foxhunted without jumping. We have been doing small logs and a few cavaletti schools with an instructor. We do know from over-jumping that my horse has great form at 3 1/2 feet, LOL! The Wofford clinic organizer wants to put us in "novice". Do we need to be in "beginner novice"?

Default No special training needed for Tadpole/Intro level...

I have dabbled in Eventing with my Morgan too....only at Schooling/Unrecognized HTs.

I mostly love to do Hunter Paces with our local foxhunting club, though. You get the fun of XC, without the expense of doing a recognized HT.

Anyways - If you your horse is sound, sane & willing...you should be fine. They can literally step over the Intro stuff.

Morgans are pretty game and usually have some go....have fun!

Here's my Morgan (me up) at a schooling HT (or maybe it was a schooling Eventing Derby...can't remember which)
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k.../F_sj_HD07.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Thanks everyone for your messesages! Volunteering is an excellent idea. Cookie pony- I do not have an eventing trainer. The h/j trainer at my barn is outstanding but stays really busy. They are gone to shows every weekend. Does anyone have any ideas of any in my area? I live in the exact center of NC in a little town called Asheboro. I thought I would have to find a seperate dressage trainer but if I can get everything I need from one trainer why not? My trainer does not allow outside trainers to come to the farm (although I am sure she would reconsider a dressage trainer since dressage is not her discipline) so I would most likely have to trailer out to them. Very pretty morgan Fancy That!!

I don't think you HAVE to have an Eventing Trainer. Sounds like you are getting lessons/training at your H/J barn.

You may want a BUDDY to show you the ropes or go with you to your first few HTs. But Eventers tend to be a little more "do it yourself" than H/J peeps

You may want to find a dressage instructor to help, but a good H/J trainer would use dressage principles for flatwork (especially for Jumpers)

For just getting started (Intro/Tadpole, schooling level), just try it out

The Volunteering will help you understand the flow of a HT, and how people ride, what they wear, the tack used, etc.

Maybe just find a buddy who wants to dabble in eventing? I bet even one of the H/J peeps would want to try their hand at it for fun?

Dressage isn't "hard" at the lower levels. I've only done Schooling/Unrecognized HTs or CTs, and I've always used the same tack to keep things simple. I just use a white pad for dressage (and SJ)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

I'm somewhat in your neck of the woods, in the Winston Salem area and we go through Asheboro on our way to Southern Pines. You are not far from Southern Pines and if you decide you like eventing, there are several trainers I'd love to recommend. You're also not too far from Fenridge (Mebane) which holds some great schooling horse trials, you're also not too far from TTC and Hillcrest (Mocksville) and they both have great schooling horse trials. You may want to come down to Southern Pines II next weekend and just watch, many of the top riders in the country will be competing, and my daughter will be too, if you come we'd be happy to meet you and answer any questions you have. Have fun!

Becky, I can't make it next week but would love to come down later in the season to watch and hang out with some veterans. I may pm you in a month or so to work something out.