The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Deciphering Soil Test

I took soil samples all around my property. Anyone give me an idea what is the best way to fertilize and up the grass yields?

The pH is 6.8 in one pasture and is pretty high in all the other pastures - like at 8.0 level.

The Nitrogen levels are low everywhere - one area is VERY low. That is a place we cleared 3 years ago and buried the trees in the middle of the field. We did have the field fertilized by the Coop 2 years ago.

The Phosphorus very low.

The Potash is high to medium in all the pastures that have had horses in them but the 'new field' is low.

SO. What do you all recommend? And I would rather not call the coop again because it cost me $400.

Where are you located? What type of grass are you growing? Do you have a county agriculture extension agent? What did the coop charge $400.00 for?

if you wish you could fax it to us...I will pm you the number if you like....we pull about 30-50 every year here

Tamara in TN

Quote Originally Posted by Joannie Jumper View Post
    I took soil samples all around my property. Anyone give me an idea what is the best way to fertilize and up the grass yields?

The pH is 6.8 in one pasture and is pretty high in all the other pastures - like at 8.0 level.

The Nitrogen levels are low everywhere - one area is VERY low. That is a place we cleared 3 years ago and buried the trees in the middle of the field. We did have the field fertilized by the Coop 2 years ago.

The Phosphorus very low.

The Potash is high to medium in all the pastures that have had horses in them but the 'new field' is low.

SO. What do you all recommend? And I would rather not call the coop again because it cost me $400.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Sure Tamara! send me your fax number!

We have several fields and on the most part we have orchard grass/fescue/timothy - with some clover and rye grass mixed in. When we cleared the land several years ago - we limed everything and then let it sit and then we fertilized the next year and the Coop came out and put Nitrogen and Phosphorus on 20 acres. The pH around here is usually low and acidic but with the horses on it - it appears to keep our pH around 7.5-8.5 with one pasture bing 6.8 which is the most acidic. That field is shaded somewhat so we put shade friendly mix grass there.

In the back 10 where we were growing hay to cut - now it will be a turnout pasture as we have 100 acres to cut that a friend lent us - it is low in Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphorus - that was part of what the Coop fertilized. Its like the ground has nothing. We planted orchard grass and timothy there and in a watery corner - we put flood resistent blue grass. My horses love blue grass. But blue grass doesnt like droughts.

My mare pasture is fescue-free.

There are two 3-4 acre pastures that are SO over-grazed. I am going to try to rotate those more. They have a lot of potassium (manure?) and low in N and very low in K. pH is 7.5-8.5 in both.

So I am not sure if I should spread Nitrogen or Phosphorus or a 10-10-10 or have the Coop out again.

I am trying to give the grass the muscles to grow against the horses' grazing. I will be rotating - I have 5 pastures.