The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neckstrap for turnout

I am considering switching everyone to neckstraps for turnout.

Have you found that it worked well for the more... hmmm... unruly ones to catch?

I have one mare that can play hard to catch sometimes and having the halter on helps a ton (I think it's totally psychological, she thinks "resistance is futile" as soon as I put a halter on her!).
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I would just leave a leather halter on her.

That's what I do for now, but it's really not my first choice. I'd much rather have them all without halters!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I envision a hoof getting caught in the neck strap when the horse puts its head down to graze. It seems like an accident waiting to happen.

I, too, would go with a turnout halter or nothing at all.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

seabreeze, I meant the real neckstraps used for turnout like on TB broodmares Not one to ride with!

I would think they are safe? Heck if they use them on their pricey TBs... No?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I used to use them for hurricanes only. However, the horses figured that out and then putting the neck straps would produce anxiety all over the farm.

So, I use them all the time now.

They will break and wear out but are inexpensive to replace.

I do not think they are any more dangerous than a halter.

My 30-year old TB wears one 24/7 (it's a leather one). He's out w/ my OTTB mare and it just makes things easier when I need to do stuff with him (blankets, pick feet, etc.) - I just grab a leadrope and snap it on so he'll stand. He's not bad at all but gets easily distracted sometimes and wants to wander off while I'm working on him. It's also easier if I have to bring them in (they come in for bad storms, farrier, vet, etc.). I don't like leaving halters on all the time for various reasons. He has worn his for quite a long time and it's never been an issue - I just make sure there isn't enough room to get a hoof caught in it or for him to get it stuck on anything. My mare goes naked - she'll follow me anywhere and will stand perfectly still while I work on her (inside, outside - doesn't matter) but if she was a problem at all, she'd wear one too.

So I'd go ahead and put one on your girl - it'll make life easier .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

If it makes your job safer and/or easier, go for it. That's the only purpose for any piece of equipment anyhow.

I prefer halters on hard-to-catch ones, but whatever gives you that little edge. the broodmare I had here last year didn't go out in the big pasture without a halter AND a short piece of rope attached. Yes, she stepped on it, about three times, and yes, she had a conniption, twice, after which she figured it out, after which it was not an issue at all. But it sure made MY life easier!
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I am considering switching everyone to neckstraps for turnout.

Have you found that it worked well for the more... hmmm... unruly ones to catch?

I have one mare that can play hard to catch sometimes and having the halter on helps a ton (I think it's totally psychological, she thinks "resistance is futile" as soon as I put a halter on her!).
    leave her head collar on with aplaited bit of bailing twine the width of your hand so you can grab her with it eventually she will get the message to come in

seabreeze, I meant the real neckstraps used for turnout like on TB broodmares Not one to ride with!

I would think they are safe? Heck if they use them on their pricey TBs... No?
    They use leather halters also

my QH gelding is retired at lawndarts and she uses neckstraps on all her horses.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

We have used Broodmare collars, or neckstraps for at least ten years, no problems. And I have a very unruly group of geldings. Sonny is one of them, there is a lot of playing, grabbing, etc.

My personal horses wear them on the trail too, and will stand tied for hours with just the collar. Cross tied too. It is surely easier to bridle/unbridle a horse with a neck strap.

If I am handling the retirees for the vet, farrier, etc., I put their leather halters on. Usually after wiping off the dust

Only one horse seems to have had any kind of an issue, he caught it on the edge of a corner, pulled very hard, and it broke at the buckle, like it is designed to do. But he is very much a Dennis the Menace type of horse, so I think overall the collars are pretty safe. YMMV
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    They use leather halters also
    Yes, but the halters are at least twice the price of the neckstraps!

I certainly won't cry if they play tag and break the neckstrap instead of a halter... It sounds like it could be an interesting solution... Plus it won't leave marks on their faces like halters (even without rubbing, it leaves marks in their winter coat, etc.)
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

Yes, but the halters are at least twice the price of the neckstraps!

I certainly won't cry if they play tag and break the neckstrap instead of a halter...
    Don't cry over broken halters, just repair them Don't know about marks, I haven't had that happen.

Let us know how the neck staps work out.

All horses at our barn are turned out with halters. Unfortunately, my guy is getting a ridge on his nose from the halter, so a neck strap may be ideal. Will an old stirrup leather work? What else can be used that will break easily?

Thanks!

My rub-prone horse wears a neck strap, he hasn't broken it yet although it is much thinner than halter leather (which he manages to break on a regular basis when wearing them) No rubs, no issues, his "brother" can't grab it as easily as a halter either, and MUCH cheaper.

I'll give it a try and post back!

I have a yearling filly and a gelding who just LOVE playing halter tag so we'll see how it works for them...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca

I have a leather neckstrap on a mare. Today, she had it caught over one ear, it was really tight on her, I guess that's why she let me catch her so easy. I put it back around her neck, and tightened one hole, maybe it won't slip forward.

Its really thin, if it caught on anything strong, it would break.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.