The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Color for dressage jackets

Now that the rules allow color for a jacket in the show ring, where are the sources for jackets beyond black and navy? Keep waiting for the mfrs to get out in front of this trend, but so far not finding much. I've seen gray with black collar, and there is a brown pinstripe. The new rules actually allow dark hues of many more colors. But all the tack shops seem to be sitting on the sidelines.

(DR120 Dress), (At all test levels, riders may wear jackets in other colors within the international HSV color scale, as described in FEI Dressage Regulations, Art. 427.1. Contrast coloring and piping is allowed)

HSV scale color picker:

http://www.yafla.com/yaflaColor/ColorRGBHSL.aspx

Enter 32 in the Value box, and go color shopping! Anything color that appears, or any color darker than the colors that you see, is an allowed jacket color.

*subscribing*

I need a new jacket and would love to get a dark colour ... maybe dark green or turquoise or olive ... can't find sources though ...

Dark conservative colors have been allowed for years in non-FEI classes. I've shown in a dark or hunter green jacket for over twenty years. Only comment from a judge I've ever gotten about it was a verbal one after the ride. "Lovely color combintation with your chetty".
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

I've been coveting a charcoal gray jacket with black collar for years. If you find a hunter jacket you like it would be easy to tailor it to what is considered dressage standards. Though I doubt most people will even notice the difference (unless you are talking about tails... and then I *really* want a beautiful dark blue with yellow piping.... sigh)

I've been showing my one black horse in a grey jacket with black collar for years now.
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2660902_n.jpg

I will sooooo be getting this shad next year for his FEI debut
    http://www.coolequestrian.co.uk/inde...roducts_id=887

I just bought a nice brown one for my young liver chestnut as well.
    They also have that shad in brown!! AHH!! It will be a while until my liver chestnut is at FEI though

Wow, that shad is gorgeous, Sabovee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Pikeur now has the Diana in Chocolate, it's gorgeous, as well as Anthracite (dark gray) and even a black pinstripe. I also have a maroon Pikeur that I bought second-hand (and could be persuaded to part with it, ahem), and have seen one or two others on eBay.

I love that colors are going to be worn more as well. I am curious though - in all the color combos ya'll are discussing, you would still be wearing white breeches, yes?
    I just got a beautiful dark green coat that I can't wait to wear. I would like to wear it with my white breeches, but don't want to commit a no-no.
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by fargonefarm View Post
    I just got a beautiful dark green coat that I can't wait to wear. I would like to wear it with my white breeches:
    White breeches, yes, or cream. Where did you get the dark green coat? That's what I want.

I'm wearing white breeches (with grey full seat) with my grey coat and cream breeches with my brown coat.

I got the dark green coat at a local 4-H type tack sale - it's my one stop shopping for the year - and it was only $30!!
    I REALLY like the idea of wearing it with cream breeches. I think I'll have to find some. But it's good to know that white is good too!

Baxtersmom-tell me about the maroon Pikeur coat! I think maroon would look great on my black horse, and the brown Diana on my bay. I would love to find a maroon coat but haven't seen anything like that in a dressage cut.

Fargonefarm, Irideon makes a cream breech (Passeio side zip) that is very comfortable. The full seat doesn't feel like a diaper and it hides the...um..."cottage cheese" very well.

I want a dark, dark green coat! Like Hunter green! It would look lovely on my chestnut gelding, paired with champagne breeches and shirt, no?

Thanks dogsandponies! I will look it up
    And Beasmom - I think that would look stunning - especially on a chestnut!

I bought a gorgeous chocolate brown Eurofit Reim coat with a pale blue collar last fall on eBay. I have a chestnut paint with a blue eye. Honestly, I hadn't thought about wearing it for dressage shows - actually bought it for APHA breed shows - but may reconsider now.

I'm really bummed that FITS no longer seems to be carrying champagne breeches though!

Quote Originally Posted by 4wdNstraight View Post
    Baxtersmom-tell me about the maroon Pikeur coat! I think maroon would look great on my black horse, and the brown Diana on my bay. I would love to find a maroon coat but haven't seen anything like that in a dressage cut.
    I actually searched forever and then just happened to stumble upon it at a local tack sale. But I have seen at least two on eBay in the past two years!

Default How about Royal Blue? Is that a dark color?

I've seen it in Europe. I LOVE it. There's a Pikeur in that color on the Amira Equi site. I don't know if I'd dare . ..

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur_Gotha.html - this is the color, not the coat. I guess it's actually "Cobalt Blue". I would get the Ghia - which I have in Navy. Lovely coat.

Fatorange, I think that would work!

I like a longer coat -- to cover my (ahem) generous backside and thighs.

As a scribe even prior to this rule change, I have seen black, navy (I wear navy), many shades of grey, dark green, even maroon in the ring of recognized shows. I've never heard a judge say anything other than "ooo, nice turnout".

I have seen white, cream and beige breeches in the ring. I've never seen or heard of (I used to wear beige at one point) a comment.

I've seen waived coats and riders with solid color pink, lavender or blue shirts.

Judges are soooo much more interested in a quality ride than calling someone out on their dress. In my experience.

1 members found this post helpful.