The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Medal vs Maclay

So after stirring the pot on hunters and equitation, now I have the following question: What's the difference between a good Medal ride and a good Maclay round? In past decades, Medal was for the 'Hunter' oriented while Maclay was for the "Jumper" track. Reading the posts to my other thread, it would seem that a lot of ppl feel that the Big Eq is for the Jumper oriented rider. So where does that leave the hunter-oriented junior who wants to do Equitation as well?

Ummm....The Maclay is a Medal class. One of the originals. So named because you get (or used to) a Medal when you qualify for the Finals. Used to be really special to ride in a Medal class and there were not very many and those were on the National level and at 3'6"+.

Maclay format is 50% over fences and 50% flat-additional work may be asked of the top riders. The...oh what is it now....ASPCA? The old AHSA Medal? That format is over fences with the top 4 riders tested. The courses may be run over a Hunter course with some roll backs or something but, if they are in a dedicated ring? Sort of fall between Hunter and Jumper with some related disatcnce and some technical questions.

Then you got the Washington which is judged on a Hunter course and on a Jumper course with the scores combined (that one is hard). And the USET Talent Search which is bigger, you can be older and it is Jumper oriented.

Today we have some 3' Hunter type Medals at various levels but anything can label itself a Medal class. They run all the way down to 2' and even Crossrails these days. It's just a series of classes offered during the year with a Finals at the last show...sometimes it's just the one "Medal" class.

There is no specific "Medal" ride" because there are a million so called "Medal" classes. You just ride that course.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Findeight, I don't think that's quite right...

I think the OP is referring to the USEF Medal Final vs. the ASPCA Maclay Final.

There are four major equitation finals - the USEF Medal, the Maclay, the WIHS, and the USEF Talent Search.

The USEF/Pessoa Medal (referred to most often as "the Medal") and the Maclay ride about the same. Both are hunter seat equitation courses. The emphasis is on good equitation and horsemanship and the tack must be hunter legal.

The WIHS has a hunter round and a jumper round. The USEF Talent Search is the only true jumper seat medal and is also the only one held at 3'9".

I would think that a winning round in the Medal would look very much like the winning round in the Maclay.

ETA for comparison:

Chase Boggio in the Medal Finals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTDzMZ5-js

And in the Maclay Finals...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hYV...eature=related

I chose Chase because I could find videos of both rounds.

Maybe, I reread it, still not sure. Both explanations seem appropriate depending on what the question really was.

For the OP, there is always age group Equitation, usually held over the Hunter course with a few tweaks like a roll back or bending lines. Lots of Juniors do that one on their Hunters.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Maclay format is 50% over fences and 50% flat-additional work may be asked of the top riders. The...oh what is it now....ASPCA? The old AHSA Medal? That format is over fences with the top 4 riders tested. The courses may be run over a Hunter course with some roll backs or something but, if they are in a dedicated ring? Sort of fall between Hunter and Jumper with some related disatcnce and some technical questions.

In many areas all the equitation classes ( Medal Maclay etc) are run in the main ring. The use of a 'Hunter fences' for big eq depends on your geographic area.
    Every place I showed last year ( NY NJ CT SC MA ) held all big eq classes in the main ring over jumper type fences.

And SaturdayNight I'm not sure there is anything in the Medal or Maclay rules that mentions 'hunter legal'. especially as there is no Hunter section that defines 'legal' tack. By convention ring martingales aren't used in Hunters but there is no rule against it. You just won't get pinned for unconventional tack.
    WIHS and Talent Search rules are specific and allow running martingales.

It may be technically legal, but if you show up with a running martingale in a hunter class, you might as well show unjudged, because there is no way you are going to pin. Unlike a standing martingale which acts on a horse's nose, keeping the head down, a running martingale acts on the bit frequently causing the head to go up which is counter productive to the long, low frame you want in a hunter. A running martingale says "I need help to stop my freight train, I mean horse".
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    It may be technically legal, but if you show up with a running martingale in a hunter class, you might as well show unjudged, because there is no way you are going to pin. Unlike a standing martingale which acts on a horse's nose, keeping the head down, a running martingale acts on the bit frequently causing the head to go up which is counter productive to the long, low frame you want in a hunter. A running martingale says "I need help to stop my freight train, I mean horse".
    I'm old enough to find this ridiculous.

Used to be, for ultra-formal appointments classes you could not use a standing. Now it's just dandy to go in a big $ hunter derby with the horse's head tied down with a way over tight standing, but you don't get a look with a correctly adjusted running?
    Just another example of fad fashion over function and good sense. And using what the horse goes best in.

Sorry for wandering off topic.
    Last edited by Madeline; Mar. 13, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Apology
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I'm old enough to find this ridiculous.
    LOL Madeline, I'm old enough to remember when you didn't show in any kind of martingale or a breastplate. Oh, and if your horse didn't go in a big loose ring snaffle, it meant it was well schooled enough to go in a double bridle!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"