The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question my horse hit his head... should i be worried?

It was, really, unavoidable. He was standing cross-tied fine for a half an hour while I was hosing him down after my lesson, then he spooked at something, pulled back, cross ties released, he reared in a doorway, bonked his noggin, then turned and trotted off.

He got a little scrape, just peeled a little skin. Treated that. No issues. He seemed fine when I left.... i told my trainer, and the barn manager and another rider saw it. No one was overly concerned, but I know the poll is a fairly sensitive area.

He let me touch and palpitate it.... so I'm not concerned, but I figured I should ask if anyone had had any negative reprocutions with their horse knocking their head.

Thoughts?
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

I wouldn't worry if he trotted off and then was ok with you touching it.

I've had my horse really slam his poll area hard against a trailer ceiling before while unloading, and I called my vet for advice and to see whether or not they thought he needed to be seen. They said as long as there wasn't blood and he didn't appear neurologic, there was nothing to worry about. I think they meant more gushing blood/large wound than a scrape though

I wouldn't worry unless he appears neurologic, and it sounds like he doesn't.
    The best is yet to come

Ok... just making sure!! Thank you!!!
    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

I had one whack her head on something (I figured maybe reared in the barn since the ceilings are a bit low). Not only could I NOT touch her, she had a big V gash on her forehead and her whole head swelled up. Had the vet out, he slapped nitrafurazone on her head and said if she was moving around fine to just give bute for the swelling. She's fine now and the swelling was gone in a couple of days. Granted, it wasn't exactly on the poll but the gash started about a half inch below her ears on the forehead so I'm pretty sure she probably whacked her poll on the way up.