The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Spring vaccinations / twice?

A friend who boards at a nice Northern Virginia facility just called and she's livid.

She always schedules her Spring Vaccines in 2 visits with half the shots the first visit and the remainder on the 2nd.
    A month ago she called a bit peeved in that the Vet gave her gelding all of them at once. She was in contact with the office
    and did express her disappointment and they of course apologized.

Yesterday the Vet returned to the same facility and once again gave him all his Spring Vaccines ....

I'm curious if anyone can shed some light on the safety (or unsafety) of being double vaccinated?

(To add insult to injury since she had not left a check to cover the visit they took the liberty of billing her credit card they kept on file)
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

It will be fine for everything except her wallet. I think I would ask for them to refund ALL fees for both visits since they messed it up both times.

Pissed wouldn't begin to describe me! Not good for the immune system. Yes, I'd be asking for a full refund for both. And make sure that I was there next time for a vet appointment.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't think there will be any impacts on Dobbin's health, especially if they were a month apart. I agree that she should be demanding at least one, if not both, visits get credited back to her card. Inexcusable.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

No harm done, other than to her pocketbook.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

When I worked at the Health Department, we used to regularly do this to children, without noticeable harm. The kid would come in and the mother would say he had some shots, but she didn't know where or when. School wouldn't let him in without one dose of every vaccine. We would give a dose of everything. Then, she would find the old records and we'd find that we gave the same vaccines another health department gave them a month before when the family lived in a different county. The risk of a vaccine reaction goes up, but is still pretty low.

I would be angry at the vet's office. They are clearly pretty disorganized.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It will be fine for everything except her wallet. I think I would ask for them to refund ALL fees for both visits since they messed it up both times.
    This.