The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pre purchase exams?? UPDATE W/ PICS

What do you do in the case where there is a horse that you are interested in, but it is about 4 1/2 hours away? Do you just randomly pick a vet from that town for a PPE? What if you're not able to be there during the PPE? Do you ask the seller for a suggestion of which vet to use? Or do you just take your chances and hope that when you bring the horse home, you get a PPE and nothing is wrong? (I know the answer to that question, just wanting opinions.) My vet won't drive that far and I don't know any of the vets in that area.
    This particular training barn does not do trial periods because of a bad experience a few years ago. So bringing the horse home to have a PPE done and being able to send it back if it doesn't pass isn't really an option.
    Last edited by NBChoice; Mar. 12, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

All I know is I was told never let the seller choose the vet- they could be in 'cahoots'- So if I were in that position I think I would ask who their vet was, then search for vets in the area online and pick a different one.

Ask the seller to give you a few choices of vets.
    If it happens to be the vet they use, vets SHOULD BE HONEST ENOUGH to act in YOUR interest since you are now the client. Do ask the seller to allow you access the horse's medical records from their vet though.
    And yes, I would be there.

I just pre-purchased a horse and couldn't be there so requested they video the exam. When I got it I was appalled at the "quality" of the exam.

So just make what ever arrangements you have to on your end to be there. It is your $ so make sure it is spent to your liking.

See if you can get recommendations from horse people you know in the area if at all possible. The quality from vet to vet differs so much for things like being good at detecting lameness that I would be loathe to rely on a vet basically cold called off the 'Net. If you don't know anyone, ask on COTH for a recommendation, even that is better than a total blank slate.

Ask the seller which vet they use, then't don't use that vet. Call around to different places -- I was in this situation a couple years ago and many vets did not do pre-purchase exams because they didn't want to be liable if the horse turned out to be unsuitable. So I had a heck of a time even finding a vet to do it, and said vet was actually too far away from the horse. The seller offered to trailer the horse to the clinic (1hr+) to get the vetting done.

First I would recommend asking who they use and get any records from that vet. You can do a yellow book search for vets in the area or ask the seller for the names of several other vets that service the area.

If you will not be there (long distance customer) you will likely need a vet that takes credit cards - some around here do not and will not perform services for out of area customers since collection would be a problem. Also, find a vet with digital x-ray (again some around here are still old school, so be sure to ask) That way if there is anything questionable you can always have your vet or another for a 2nd opinion look at them
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I would ask my vet for recommendations in the area. He can always come up with good ones.

Then I would set up the vetting for a time when I knew I would be available by telephone to discuss questions or make decisions (Continue and go deeper based on a problem found or stop. etc) as things occur.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Also check out AAEP's site for vets in the area.

Ask your vet which vets in the target area would do a good prepurchase - then call those vets and find out which one is their current vet - and select a different one from the list!
    Sandy in Fla.

Default I can't believe no one suggested......

POST ON COTH!!!

Surely we have some posters in the area of your potential match and they can point you in the direction of a good vet.

Quote Originally Posted by sar2008 View Post
    POST ON COTH!!!

Surely we have some posters in the area of your potential match and they can point you in the direction of a good vet.
    You beat me to it!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

What's the approximate cost of a basic PPE?

Quote Originally Posted by sar2008 View Post
    POST ON COTH!!!

Okay! Area of the horse is around Fulton/Columbia, Missouri.

altjaeger: my last PPE was $100.

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    What's the approximate cost of a basic PPE?

It depends on what you consider to be "basic" - does "basic" include x-rays? Flexions? Just checking the heart and lungs and eyeballing?

I've seen vettings that went on for HOURS. And paid for vettings that cost $800 (and that was yeeeeears ago).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Okay! Area of the horse is around Fulton/Columbia, Missouri.

altjaeger: my last PPE was $100.

Start a thread titled "Vet NEEDED in/around the Fulton/Columbia Missouri area"

The body of the should just say your looking to do a PPE for a horse and need a good vet. Any suggestions are appreciated

Hopefully you will get a few recommendations

A PPE for $100? must have forgotten a 0
    Basic exam is usually around $350-$400 then with Xrays (front feet, hocks, stifles added if needed) would bring it to about $1200-1300 with blood work as well $1500-1600 (this would be for a hunter or jumper) But a lot can be added over that (xrays of fetlocks/knees, scope, ultrasound, spinal xrays)

Nope! We got a PPE on my gelding last year for about 100-150. We were lucky. It was a pretty thorough exam as well, I was impressed. We didn't get x-rays though, so that probably brought the price down quite a bit.

If I could I'd ideally like to have my vet look at any x-rays. I would post on COTH for suggestions of course and ask my vet

I was reading through and couldn't believe no one had suggested COTH until a ways down
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Quote Originally Posted by Cancara View Post
    All I know is I was told never let the seller choose the vet- they could be in 'cahoots'

I always laugh when I hear this. With what a Vet has invested in school and equipment do you really think they are going to lie to help a "regular client"? I don't think so and neither does our "regular Vet" who does quite a few PPE's for our buyers.

When a potential buyer calls, we make it clear to them that it is their option as to which Vet they pick. However, and this applies to everyone, don't you think the regular Vet knows the horses, the standard of care they've received, the reputation of the seller, ect. ect., far more than a Vet who is a complete stranger?

This reputation of soandso lying for soandso is just one of the black marks on our industry that makes it hard for the honest sellers to do business.

I agree with asking your vet for a recommendation. Maybe someone they went to vet school with? I have had bad luck with vets I just picked blindly. One missed a club foot on a sight unseen purchase...told me it was a bad trim job.

I also agree with not using the seller's vet. It is called a "conflict of interest" and in most cases a vet will decline as it could potentially put their practice at risk IF they inadvertantly miss something and someone suspects them of being less than honest. (and I have seen a vet slightly change the angle of an xray to hide a chip so the seller's vet wouldn't see it, so don't tell me it doesn't happen!)