The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default McClain Ward clinic at Lion Hill Farm

Does anyone have more information, I read in a magazine he is having one there, looking for dates, and any input about what the place is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
    Does anyone have more information, I read in a magazine he is having one there, looking for dates, and any input about what the place is like.
    Lion Hill Farm, where? The Lion Hill Farm in CT around the corner from me???

It's somewhere in CT, don't know where.

My friend Suzie Mancheski is the new trainer there. The whole barn is undergoing renovations and they just put brand new TravelRight footing in the indoor and are really looking to turn the place in a new direction. The barn is located in Easton, CT, which is right next to Westport. Suzie used to ride for David Hopper and is PHENOMENAL!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lion-H...1329847?ref=ts

THE CLINIC IS TO BENEFIT PEGASUS!

The information is :
    9am-10am 2'0 to 2"6
    10am-11am 2'0 to 2'6"
    11am-12am 2'6" to 2'0 to2'9"
    cost $125.00 4 to 6 riders.

Lunch 12pm to 1pm

1pm-2:30pm 3'0 to 3'6"
    2:45pm-4:15pm 3'6' to 3'9" cost $175.00

You must call first to see if there is a spot open and then let them know you are sending a check. You can only reserve a spot with a check.

This clinic is to promote the farm and the fabulous new facility and trainer they have.

If you want any more info....let me know or call the farm yourself!
    Last edited by holaamigoalter; Mar. 13, 2011 at 01:12 PM.

Default Clinic

What is the date?

May 8th, had to hunt for it, but finally found it on their FB page.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Can people come and audit?
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

If you audit you MUST make a donation to Pegasus. There is no minimum donation but you must make one.

They will be a food booth.

And yes, May 8th.
    Last edited by holaamigoalter; Mar. 13, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

That is the Lion Hill around the corner from me, I guess I will look into the DD attending

bumping...is anyone attending the clinic this weekend? My friend and I are planning to spectate

Quote Originally Posted by designequine View Post
    bumping...is anyone attending the clinic this weekend? My friend and I are planning to spectate
    My DD will be there in the 3'6" session with her young horse. She's a little nervous, since her horse is a hunter but our trainer (who's known McClain forever!) said that she should not miss it under any circumstances

I will be there.

If you are spectating, please remember to make a donation to Pegasus.

Ponymom, she will do great! McLain focuses on how your riding influences the horse, and would never try to force the horse into something its not!
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Anyone who is participating can PM me if you want - I did a clinic with McLain last year and would be happy to share my experience.

The clinic went great! I was only able to catch the last two sections but they were both wonderful. McLain hung around and talked to anyone who wanted to.

My best friend (Ally) was riding the chesnut in the 3' section. He is not lame for those wondering, thats just the way he goes I promise!

The head trainer at Lion Hill (Suzie) rode one of my boss's horses and I was very proud of Mac...he was perfect as always

He did keep the jumps low and it would have been cool to see them a bit higher but I think he was trying to keep it appropriate for all riders and there were some riders in both sections that could have learned more in a lower section.

Ponymom...I saw your daughter!! She rode amazingly that horse is so cute. And what an amazing leg your daughter has...nice stick on some of those big efforts he made

Overall, I think everyone had a positive experience. McLain did express that he wished he had more time to work on some more advanced flatwork and to change some tack. I do wish the applicants had been more prepared with questions to ask him. The was an extremely accomplished rider waiting to answer questions and only a couple people asked questions.
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

coming out of lurkerdom...I was in the 1:00 session (For those who were there I was the one who got to go first on all the jumping courses in that section)...had a great time and learned a lot. I believe I will hear his words about discipline whenever I ride into a corner after a fence now.

Thanks so much to McLain and Lion Hill. I hope it was successful for Pegasus!

Holamingoalter, I know I completely *blanked* on the questions I wanted to ask at the end..kicking myself the whole way home while I remembered them.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I watched the last two sections also and as usual, was extremely impressed with McLain's teaching ability. He reminds me a bit of the late, great Ronnie Mutch - who had a gift for delivering technical instruction in a way that the riders could quickly internalize, while remaining positive and encouraging.

The other thing that always strikes me about McLain is how fast he can size up a horse and rider combination, and zero in on the one or two things that will make the most difference for them. In that respect, he's an absolute genius. Whether it is a tack change or a particular exercise, he can effect an amazing amount of change in a short period of time, and he seems genuinely interested in delivering that kind of "light bulb moment" type of instruction. I've seen far too many BNRs who teach low and intermediate level clinics and just more or less go through the motions. McLain is on the other end of the spectrum and was totally engaged in his teaching, even when the riders were "just" trotting through a little 2'6" grid.

It's a shame that opportunities to ride with him are so limited. I was really bummed not to get into the clinic and would have LOVED the opportunity to ride for him. It was especially a bummer to see the turnout of a couple people who *were* fortunate enough to get in ... quite amazing. Soap is cheap and elbow grease is free...
    Last edited by Lucassb; May. 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Haha - thanks Hola - the horse is a young one and has not had a lot of clinic experience, so it was a challenge. He was a little more interested in digging and schnuffling his nose in the footing than the actual exercises but he figured it out by the end - LOL!

It was a great experience to ride with one of the very best in the industry and Mclain is a fabulous instructor. I thought he was very gracious and patient with all of the horses and riders and was able to offer constructive comments in a very positive and easy to process way.

He was able to very quickly assess what every combination needed to work on and altered each exercise to expose the weakness and use the exercise to correct the flaw. It was genius the way he was able to distill his instruction to a level that was positive, encouraging and easily absorbed and seemed geniunely excited for the rider when they completed the exercise successfully.

I was also surprised by the turnout of some of the participants! My DD has clinicked with some big names before so knew what was expected in terms of turnout but also her trainer went into great detail at their lesson on Saturday about what *she* expected from us in that regard, I only wish that some of the other participants' professionals had that conversation with their students. How do you show up at a clinic with a dirty horse!!

I agree with Lucassb, that is a shame that opportunities to ride with him are so limited - he was brilliant! We would clinic again with him in a heartbeat and I would highly recommend him to all.

I wish I had been able to meet some of you! I was in brown riding pants, a green shirt, purple rain boots (left work early to watch our horse) and I had an incredibly bored German Shepherd with me lol

I loved watching all the sessions; everyone did great! McClain had excellent comments (when the loudspeaker was working). I uploaded some pictures, unfortunately the jumping angles aren't so good since I had a limited view from where we were sitting. There was also a LOT of cute around (ponies, kids, puppies, kids with puppies, etc!) and it was sometimes hard to focus on watching the riders in the ring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6267230...7626561430889/

Quote Originally Posted by designequine View Post
    I loved watching all the sessions; everyone did great! McClain had excellent comments (when the loudspeaker was working). I uploaded some pictures, unfortunately the jumping angles aren't so good since I had a limited view from where we were sitting. There was also a LOT of cute around (ponies, kids, puppies, kids with puppies, etc!) and it was sometimes hard to focus on watching the riders in the ring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6267230...7626561430889/
    Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!