The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Really need some advice...long HELP

...gonna give you the latest. My filly just turned 3. Have had her for about a year. When she arrived her feet were FINE...however, I had someone trim her and I knew she wasn't trimmed right...(pigeon toed)...anyway then had another farrier(months later) trim her and said farrier just trimmed like she was.

OK, vet came out to give shots earlier this week. Made a comment about her feet--and wondered if she has had any lameness issues...

Got w vet today and said vet says filly ought to come in for xrays (don't ride or work filly till then)...to see what her angles ARE and see if any damage has been done... and then make a plan about which farrier to use etc.

I feel like an idiot..I knew her feet weren't right but went along with "trainer" at barn--not blaming "trainer"...mad at myself.

SO????? have vet apt Monday... xrays are expensive...I want to do what is best for my horse.....

Any suggestions, comments will be appreciated.... FYI filly is nice & potentially a 45k horse.... I KNOW...potential is just that potential..just trying to give some info @ her.

Frustrated...Help!

Can you post pics of her feet?

Dalemma

If you generally trust the vet and his or her opinion, I'd probably do the x-rays as a "better safe than sorry" kind of thing. However, I will note that some horses just are pigeon-toed, and no amount of "corrective" shoeing will fix it. I will also note that I've known quite a few pigeon-toed campaigners that have been showing successfully as hunters on the A circuit for quite some time now with no apparent issues...

Exclamation

Get the radiographs, and go with the recommendations.

Yes, your baby may be pigeon toed, but the proper trimming and shoeing can help improve things. The proper trim is the most important.

Finding a good farrier is not easy. The ability to wield a knife, and a rasp does not a farrier make. They need to have an innate talent for balance, as well as enough brains to understand the dynamics involved.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

This will come out more harsh that it sounds:

If she's a $45K horse, don't begrudge her a set of radiographs. They also may be useful to have on hand later if you get into this trainer/farrier snafu again in the future. You have a picture of the inside that goes with the bad-looking outside. Or, her pastern axis really and truly may the source of the problem. If that will be a problem for the kind of market you see for her, well, you might as well know that now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    This will come out more harsh that it sounds:

If she's a $45K horse, don't begrudge her a set of radiographs. They also may be useful to have on hand later if you get into this trainer/farrier snafu again in the future. You have a picture of the inside that goes with the bad-looking outside. Or, her pastern axis really and truly may the source of the problem. If that will be a problem for the kind of market you see for her, well, you might as well know that now.
    What MVP said. Really not harsh at all. Just the truth. Might be money very well spent. You know, that whole spending money to make money stuff. Get the x-rays. You really do need to know for sure what's going on.

Good luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Agree, get the xrays. If nothing else, you end up with baselines to compare possible future issues. It's a really good idea, espescially if you have a potential conformation issue. Down the road on a PPE someone might be more inclined to buy a conformation flaw if there is proof that the current xrays show no changes from her 3 yo ones.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Get the xrays. She's young and has alot of miles ahead of her.

Gonna get the xrays!!! Really appreciate your input, Thanks

Some horses are just pigeon toed. Sometimes trying to "fix" it can cause more problems than just going with the flow with good trimming.

Good luck.

...filly wasn't pigeon toed when she arrived...thats part of my issue/ and I really don't think I'm trying to fool myself in wanting her to be something she isn't. I can live with pigeoned toed...just not how it seemed to "begin"

Going to vet tomorrow--will give an update

thanks all!