The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Default Best All-Weather Stain for Barn; Recommendations for Contractor in Bucks County PA

Our wood-sided bank barn is in desparate need of re-staining. It has not been stained since we've owned the place (almost 7 years) and probably at least 5-10 years before that. Looking for recommendations for an all-weather stain that will last a long time. I believe the current stain is Cabot.

It's currently a chestnut color but I'm thinking of a classic brick red! My only concern is that it will weather to a pink color. Not sure I want a pink barn , hence my desire to have a long-lasting stain.

It's located in Bucks County, PA. Looking for recommendations of a good contractor to do the work. It's a very large, tall bank barn so it would entail quite high heights.

Thanks!
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Bumpity bump! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Doesn't anyone else have a wood-sided barn? I know I can always go by what the Home Depot guy or Consumer Reports says, but was hoping for some real-world feedback too.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I would get a copy of the Lancaster Farmer. There are ads in there from people that paint barns. Most contractors from Lancaster will travel to Bucks county for work.

I have Cabot solid stain. Better than anything else we've tried but I'm not sure that says much about stains in general. It resists mildew. The west side has faded after 3 years. Get a solid stain. It has more protection.

In theory stains allow less prep but u need to do it every 5 yrs. You might get 10 out of paint.

Default General Finishes

This company is local to me, but distributes nationally: http://www.generalfinishes.com/ I know the owners personally and they are wonderful people. We used an interior stain for our stalls (would be happy to send before & after shots). Highly recommended products & service.
    www.krausesporthorses.com
    KWPN Jumper Breeder
    www.WyngateEquestrian.com
    SE WI Boarding, Training & Sales

I like Sherwin Williams Woodscapes for a solid stain. It's supposed to be guaranteed for 8 years. I used it on my house about 6 years ago (two coats of gray covered up red with no primer needed) and it still looks great. It's a rather light gray so I guess I wouldn't really notice if it has faded.

I had access to a 75 foot Genie lift basket for 2 weekends while we were building an indoor across the street from my barn. I was able to paint my 40x50 metal barn roof in 2 days with it. Material cost only $75 (aluminum flake and tar roof silver paint). A local paint contractor wanted $2800 for the job. I would definitely check what it costs to rent one for a week...mostly because you will probably want to do carpentry repairs before staining/painting given the barn age.