The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lippizaner Resources - Help?

Hi All,

I was just contacted last night by a friend who is following a childhood dream, and beginning research to write a book about the Lippizaners. This is an email she sent me last night:

My childhood dream

When I was 10 years old, I was on a train travelling from northern to southern Germany, admiring the horses on the countryside; a woman dressed in white, short blonde hair, with a pearled cashmere sweater appeared. We shared our passion of horses; horses are my first love. She invited me to the breeding farm of the Lipizzaner horses in Austria. Being only 10, it never occurred to me to get her name or address. Forty years later, at fifty years old, I am in search of this woman.
    She's leaving for Austria on the 27th of this month, and asked me if I knew of any breeders here in the states or in Europe, associations she could talk with, or any other bits of information I could relay. The sum of my Lippizaner knowledge comes mostly from seeing the White Stallions on tour, and the snippets I've read in books... can anyone here offer morse useful info than that?

Thanks
    -Jessica

Tempel Farms would be my 1st stop in the US.

http://www.tempelfarms.com/
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

TouchstoneAcres is a poster here on COTH and is also a breeder. She has breeding contacts in Europe.

http://www.touchstoneacres.com

Lorree
    Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom
    "Now, did you really mean that I should half-pass to the right whilst turning on the haunches to the left? Or was that just you farting?"

Thank you both!
    For anyone who is interested, this is the book Fran wrote last year: For the Love of Peaks

She was also featured on Maine Public Radio.
    -Jessica

My parents have a good friend who was one of the soldiers who, under general Pattons command, rode a lippizan out of Austria to save the breed in WWII. He is in a home on Cape Cod- but from what I understand is of pretty clear mind, I have always thought someone should write his story...I could see if he would be interested in speaking with her, if she would be willing to make the trip to Cape Cod. Send me a PM if she is interested!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    My parents have a good friend who was one of the soldiers who, under general Pattons command, rode a lippizan out of Austria to save the breed in WWII. He is in a home on Cape Cod- but from what I understand is of pretty clear mind, I have always thought someone should write his story...I could see if he would be interested in speaking with her, if she would be willing to make the trip to Cape Cod. Send me a PM if she is interested!
    Ohmygosh.

I just PM'd you with her contact information - what an amazing opportunity that would be. Thank you!!
    -Jessica

I got your PM- Dad will be home tonight and I will ask him when I see him and get back to both of you.

Such an amazing resource that really should have his story told- I hope it works out- if nothing else maybe I could go over and interview him for her and record it or something...

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    I got your PM- Dad will be home tonight and I will ask him when I see him and get back to both of you.

Such an amazing resource that really should have his story told- I hope it works out- if nothing else maybe I could go over and interview him for her and record it or something...
    That would be *amazing*. What a story to be told - an amazing piece of history.

Thank you thank you thank you!
    -Jessica

There is a Lipizzaner group on yahoo which has a lot of breeders on it. There is also a website on Multiply started by one of the riders in the Spanish Riding School. There are many breeders there including some from Europe. The URL is http://horsesanddressage.multiply.com/.

When I was a kid I went to the breeding farm in Lippizza, Yugoslavia. I believe that it was distroyed during the most recent war there.

Quote Originally Posted by JanDinWA View Post
    There is a Lipizzaner group on yahoo which has a lot of breeders on it. There is also a website on Multiply started by one of the riders in the Spanish Riding School. There are many breeders there including some from Europe. The URL is http://horsesanddressage.multiply.com/.
    Thank you!! I'll pass it along to my friend.
    -Jessica

fjhouston Guest

Thank you all so very much for your responses.. I will be in touch.. ;-)

Fran Houston, 290 Island Avenue, Peaks Island, Maine 04108, 207.807.2157
    email: fran_houston@hotmail.com
    facebook: http://www.facebook.com/fortheloveofpeaks featuring my lovies photographs
    "Maine Watch" with Jennifer Rooks on MPBN: http://video.mpbn.net/video/17854312...arttime=945000