The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions please

I have an coming 8 year old fancy small hunter prospect mare who is still green in her training she is a bit behind and has just started her showing carrier. She went to her very first unrated schooling show and placed in every class winning her handy hunter class and her hunter under saddle class granted this was just a small local indoor schooling show. Every body liked her and apparently the judge also really liked her. I sent her over for training this past monday at A hunter training barn and she will is being really good and they really like her they she jumps great. They have a small schooling show this coming weekend she will school in at 2.6 foot. Today I was asked about moving her up quickly from the baby greens to the pre greens which is 3' up here. I am just wondering what others thoughts were on how quickly a horse should be moved up in height. The mare is for sale.

Thanks in advance!

She is 8, not 3. the height should not be a problem...BUT...

Just make sure the rest of it is there-like flatwork and condition along with those lead changes-they need them at 3'. Plus staying quiet at the 12' step down the lines, which can cause more trouble when you step up then any fence heights.

If anything is getting pushed too quick, you risk a poor impression on your potential buyer pool-and they never forget a bad performance.

But if all is going well??? She will attract more attention at 3' then in any Baby Green or speed bump classes-get a better offer on her alot quicker too.

I say green light IF all goes well at the 2'6" in your next show.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks the mare has been on a pretty steady program, but her fitness does need to be increased although they are working on that now. She will be doing a 2.6 foot schooling show this weekend and a baby green bigger show in April so if all goes well perhaps she can move up after that. She gets her changes as long as she stays balanced. So far the trainer says she likes her more each day. She stays quiet and does not build in-between the fences.

I would just play it by ear. If she does well at a few shows, I would probably move her up if she were mine. The height shouldn't be a problem as long as she has her changes down and can stay relaxed on a more flowing 12' stride.

At the mare's age, if she's schooling 3' at home and is comfortable with it, I don't see a problem moving her up to 3' at the shows. On the other hand, I think there is something to be said for letting her do at least a couple of shows at 2'6" to make sure she is performing *consistently* at that level before going higher.

I agree with others who have said that she will attract more attention as a 3' horse than a 2'6" horse. On the other hand, make sure she isn't being pushed too fast by the trainers just to get a quicker and higher commission a 3' horse.

mare is only ever been schooled to 2.6 at home. She has the athletic capability to go higher but she just hasn't done allot and I have kept it inviting for her just working of straightness and rhythm and keeping it calm, she has not jumped a ton but has been doing grid work for the past month and coming along nicely, she has very good jumping form and her confidence is very good so I do want to be careful to keep her that way as she moves up in level.