The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2011 Intro Test A

I did a little searching on here but couldn't find anything helpful. Did anyone else notice that Intro test A no longer has a halt-salute at X? How should this test be performed? Do you salute the judge at all before entering at A then? I'm a little confused on this one.

Thanks!!

I went to a clinic a few weeks ago where Janet Foy and Bill Solyntjes went over the new tests. They mentioned the "no halt" on Intro A. Just ride it like an eventing dressage test. No salute or halt.

Thanks! That helps!

DD has been to one show where the new tests were there and we schooled the no halt. Threw her for a loop the first couple of times (horse too) but we managed. Big key is the transitions since both of the circles are right in front of the judge.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of where those circles were placed. We'll be doing the Intro tests mostly to get my lovely young mare more acquainted with the whole show idea, but certainly something to remember!

Yeah, I'm not so sure I like the new tests. Don't like that A doesn't have the halt/salute, although it does have the free walk all the way from corner to corner which I really want to do. My horse has a FABULOUS free walk and I want to show it off! Intro B & C only have the short diagonal free walk from the corners to E or B. Intro B and C do have the halt and salute though. But C has cantering.

Just weird, but I'm sure once I really ride them I'll be able to figure out which ones I want to do this year!
    Last edited by WBLover; Mar. 31, 2011 at 11:42 AM.

Default link?

can someone provide a link to 2011 intro "a" ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

thanks!

The 3/4 circle of canter in Intro C rides poorly from what I've seen. If they wanted a test where people wouldn't be afraid of getting run away with on a straight line (can't think of any other reason for it), circling 1 1/2 times around in canter would be much more reasonable allowing the greenie to actually get going before told to trot again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schiffon View Post
    The 3/4 circle of canter in Intro C rides poorly from what I've seen. If they wanted a test where people wouldn't be afraid of getting run away with on a straight line (can't think of any other reason for it), circling 1 1/2 times around in canter would be much more reasonable allowing the greenie to actually get going before told to trot again.
    Not to mention that it's at A... just in case you have a horse that is tempted to run out.

Default Tests A B and C

My riders (mostly ages 8-17) have been schooling the 3 Intro tests and I like A and C the best. B has the free walk on the short diagonal. Its an easy test (B) but I thought FOR JUNIORS and for real newbies - I really like Test A. There is a lot of emphasis on transitions - giving the newbie rider more time to really focus on preparation. I like that the rider can come in fluid at the trot and down transition between X and C - focus on straightness and not worry about a halt at the start where so many newbies go crooked. When I have the greener riders ride Test A - they really are able to put emphasis on what classical dressage wants the beginners to focus on as well as the green horses.

The B is more like the old tests but there is that free walk on the short diagonal. I like the free walk on the long diagonal too but that is my preference!

Then Test C - I guess I have to examine the test again but I have them transition to the canter as they approach centerline. I think the directions read that they want the judging focus to be on preparation for canter and the transition. There isnt - it reads to me - emphasis on having a developed canter to any extent. Which is very good for this 'level'.

So really, Test C is a good substitute for the old Training Level test 1 that Intro people liked to try out so they can try canter. Test C is sort of the same but by direction puts the judging and riding emphasis on the prep and transition not the quality of the canter.

I might be the only one - but I felt like for my newbies to dressage - Test A develops into Test B which develops into Test C and once you have those down - you should be ready for Training Level. I thought they worked better than the ones in the past. Just my opinion.

The three training level tests seem to be more true to training level.

I worked on the old "A" a few years ago and ended up not pursuing dressage at the time. Fast forward to today - I did my first schooling show and like the new "A" much better. I also like trotting right in and no halt at the beginning of the test - for a newbie, once I was in the ring, I wanted to just go and we had a nice forward trot which at the start, I didn't want to stop at X. I felt test "A" gave me a chance to work on transitions, circle shape and bend and showed off a willing and obedient horse. I also loved that I got a ribbon at my first show with a 20 year old horse

I now feel ready to pursue B and C. B seems the most boring and very short to me but it's part of the path to training level!

I would think that coming in at the trot, and a working trot indeed, you are transitioning down to walk at x - this last post reads as though the rider trotted through X? My copy of A indicates that the medium walk is kept until M when the trot is picked up again, so one isn't 'keeping' the nice entry trot by not halting at X. Instead, X is used to demonstrate the downward transition to a medium walk.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherRound View Post
    I would think that coming in at the trot, and a working trot indeed, you are transitioning down to walk at x - this last post reads as though the rider trotted through X? My copy of A indicates that the medium walk is kept until M when the trot is picked up again, so one isn't 'keeping' the nice entry trot by not halting at X. Instead, X is used to demonstrate the downward transition to a medium walk.
    That is correct. Didn't mean to imply that I trotted through X...but that I would much rather transition to walk than actually halt and salute at the start. Just my opinion.