The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where do you get your flowers?

I'm looking for the bigger fuller ones to use for jumps, not the super skimpy cheapo ones from the dollar store that only look good with crossbars. I'd like to not pay an arm and a leg to do a course but not sure if that's a possibility!

Quote Originally Posted by upnover192 View Post
    I'm looking for the bigger fuller ones to use for jumps, not the super skimpy cheapo ones from the dollar store that only look good with crossbars. I'd like to not pay an arm and a leg to do a course but not sure if that's a possibility!
    I usually just get the $1 cheapies from WalMart or on sale at ACMoore, but they usually are pretty skimpy. I had a LOT of luck at our local flea market last year though... there was a woman there who was selling fake flowers and floral arrangements and she had big fattys for $1! I bought enough for a few jumps, but she didn't have too much colour variety. I look for her every time I go now. Maybe you have a flea market close by that you could check out?
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Can't help on where to get them, but can give some advice on making them last. It'll take time, but if you go through and glue the flower part onto each stem you'll find they hold up forever! Use super glue, gorilla glue or a hot glue gun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Buy off season flowers. I get mine at JoAnn fabrics for 70% off when the season changes. Really nice size bunches that are about 1' high for around $2-3 each.

I found a dollar store near me that carries big bushy ones, so check around. Otherwise, I've gotten some from wal-mart on huge clearance, and there is a farmer's market/flea market/random-stuff-market (lol) that I visit when I'm out that way, that sometimes has them cheap- obviously that won't help you, but an idea to check around for.

Garden Ridge, Hobby Lobby, Joann's etc all have them and most are decent.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I wait until Michaels has that pre christmas coupon of 40% off entire purchase or something like that and stock up. This does lead to a slight trend towards Christmas themed flowers though...
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Best place for silk flowers is the cemetary. I'm serious! After Memorial Day, they dump all the silk flowers from the winter into the dumpster. So after Memorial Day, take a couple of feed sacks, and voila! Of course, you may have a ton of pointsettas, but still. We had the best decorated jumps for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred1201 View Post
    Best place for silk flowers is the cemetary. I'm serious! After Memorial Day, they dump all the silk flowers from the winter into the dumpster. So after Memorial Day, take a couple of feed sacks, and voila! Of course, you may have a ton of pointsettas, but still. We had the best decorated jumps for years.
    you beat me to it! we used to have a deal with two local cemetery that if we cleaned off the plots we could take the flowers.

We always get the cheapos from walmart and then just double em up or what not… we usually just tied a couple bunches together…t hey always have the greatest most obnoxious colors…

We get our at Hobby Lobby
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

If you go to AC Moore or Michaels (or similar place) they normally have some flowers on sale... sometimes if you get the bigger bushier ones you don't need as many and don't forget to look at some of the greenery - some of the vines/holly etc are great for draping if you have brush boxes... or I've used strawbales as fillers and some nice big sunflowers in buckets at the standards

Default The key is to use enough...

You can buy those 50cent -$1 flowers and have it still look nice if you make bunches of them and place the bunches close together in the flower box. The main point when using the inexpensive flowers is to not be stingy. I usually get mine at Meijers or WalMart or Michaels, or anywhere really. I also second the purchase of vines, to glue down in the flower box and strategically let them drip over the edges.

Good timing!

We have both a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's here in town, and it seems like both put flowers/floral stuff on sale (40-50% off) at least once or twice a month.

Just now I bought 6 bunches of bright yellow daisy-type flowers at $4 each. (Yep, there's a barn show coming up.) There is roughly 8-10 flowers (3.5.-4" across) on each bunch, and each bunch is about 2 feet long. There's a decent amount of greenery on them and it's easy to split them up, if they're too tall or need to be thinned out.

The quality is quite good, and they had about ... 7 or 8 different varieties of 'big, yellow, tacky' flowers (trainer's specs).
    The dude abides ...

Here's a great tip that will make your flowers last forever: Spray them with clear polyurethane before you put them out. It's on they aisle with the spray paint. It makes the fabric kind of "laminated" so they don't fade or fall apart. We also spray paint them!

I have bought lots from Michael's, never looked quite right, then broke down and bought the "real" ones from Dover on sale, have to say the "real" ones look a lot better and held up pretty well. So am thinking will go with that from now on.... did once get some bushy crysanthemum like ones from Michael's that looked OK, but most of those are rather spindly and sparse looking.

I was going to admit I go to the cemetery, but I thought it would shock everyone!!! I went to a big cemetery in NC when they were doing a spring clean up and "helped THEM out" by trucking away all their discarded flowers. I literally filled the bed of a 1/2 ton pick-up and had a gorgeous supply that lasted for years! Everyone was happy. Good to hear about glueing the blossoms on. To "freshen" the look of faded blooms, I spritz them lightly with cheap, colored spray paint. Makes them look like new. My DD refuses to go with me to the cemetery...she thinks its goolish...I think it's a gold mine!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Really??? the cemetery?? I would have never thought about that!! That's a fantastic idea!!

I'll also try some glue and spray and try to extend the life of what we've got.

Thanks!

The dollar store near me has A LOT of variety of colors and types. They aren't in bunches, but we make them fuller by using the plastic ties. We also spray them with polyurathane and they last forever!

Another vote for your local cemetery. Ours changes out flowers every 3 months or so. Don't discount the big arrangements. Usually you can pull stems of flowers out of the arrangement, or if necessary, use scissors or wire cutters to cut the stems then use electrical tape to put clusters back together. We love them, but I freak hubby out whenever a horse spooks or stops by saying "must have smelled dead people."