The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mikali View Post
    I guess that's why I have been told to buy Contendro, not breed
    Well I wouldn't exactly go that far. If you have the right mare for him he can make exceptional horses.

So a longer lined long legged horse is the ticket for contendor?

Shannon D ...... We bred Contester when he was available fresh to Song Sung Blue B by Branco and we were very pleased with the gelding that was produced by this pairing. He was sold to a dressage rider and there is a video of him as a long yearling on our facebook page . His name is Jupiter B . He is going to be a very big boy.

Now on Facebook ...... Bannockburn Farm LLC
    Allyn McCracken
    Sport Horse Breeder
    www.bannockburnfarmllc.com

I have a really super Contendro mare who received 9's on her free jump in Germany in her MPT. She is only 15.3h but is incredibly rideable, easy, light on her feet, and scopey. She is everyone's favorite to ride here at the farm. I also own a stallion by Contender, who is my all-time favorite riding horse. I fell in love with a number of Contender offspring watching them compete and realized that many of the horses I picked out of the crowd were by Contender, which is how I found my amazing Contendro mare, and subsequently Contempo, my stallion. My mare is incredibly talented and athletic, and again, very very easy, but I would definitely say she could stand to have longer legs for her shape.

For whatever reason Contendro often has smaller offspring, it seems, but this mare is SO beautiful, talented, and easy, I would take 100 15.3h versions of her over any other 16.2h horse you could find me. She is too cool. You can see her on my site as Cotton Eye Jane. (Yes, that's what the German's named her, it's not my fault.)
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Default Experience with Contendro and Contender

I've bred with Contendro frozen semen in the US and had some luck but not easy. Contender isn't available frozen in North America at all and if you had some of the old frozen from pre 2007 when he was available here - I've not heard of any pregnancies. That said, both are amazing stallions and produce incredible horses. We have both Contender and Contendro offspring on our farm and they are top quality and great minds.
    Kc Branscomb Kelley
    Branscomb Farm
    http://www.branscombfarm.com

I LOVE Contendro. He is so consistant in producing a very particular type it seems. I had wanted to use him a few years ago on my very large, rectangular, long legged Hano mare for a dressage foal (never managed to get semen). I would not use him unless you know your mare will throw height (or if you are ok with small).

If you like that line though there are some other options; Chequille Z is a taller stallion and his sire is from the same damline as Contendro. Or Conteur (very closely related to Contendro 1 through dam and sire line) who is a nice producer.

I own the Contender son Contester II who is coming out at I1 this spring. Great brain, long legs, short topline. Contester II was imported as a yearling.
    He placed 4th nationally at the Developing Horse Championships last year. He has put a very strong stamp on all of his foals.

He is available for breeding, working on a new website but feel free to contact me for pics and video if you are interested.

Good luck!

Josie

denara@live.com
    JW Sporthorses
    Home to Contester II
    (Contender/Lancetto)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/JW-Spo...s/256565069298

Contendro is in my eyes very far from being tricky to breed to. He throws very very consistently the same type of horse. I remember well his first sons at Verden licensing. All the same shade of darkish bay. All around 1,61- 1,64m. All elastic with pretty faces. So it is easy. You know what to expect. But if your goal is a huge more heavier horse, than you can say it is tricky.

Comic and calido are also options for a dressage horse.

Contender is eva positive.
    Alexandra
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Lucky 2013: http://youtu.be/NVXVIaNcrKQ

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Contendro is in my eyes very far from being tricky to breed to. He throws very very consistently the same type of horse. I remember well his first sons at Verden licensing. All the same shade of darkish bay. All around 1,61- 1,64m. All elastic with pretty faces. So it is easy. You know what to expect. But if your goal is a huge more heavier horse, than you can say it is tricky.

Contender is eva positive.
    "Tricky to breed to" for folks here Alexandra who have not seen his family or many of his offspring. Many people here didn't "know what to expect" and were shocked to find out that their offspring were so small.

This is an example of the culture divide in regards to breeding.

hmh, I do not know why this should be an culture divide if talking about this stallion ?

This stallion is now old enough to have offspring in the most difficult classes. Just today in the Grand Prix at Braunschweig one to be seen.
    Codex one e.g. also very known.
    No need to know his family now as there are so many on the ground and each year to be seen in various threads on licensings, pics on facebook etc. or videos on youtube.

To talk about Contendro's breeding results is not really tricky, it becomes tricky if we speak about stallions who are in the first years to be used. but even than. I would say all the people breeding in the US using frozen from Europe do their homework pretty well. And one can not really speak of a culture divide.

Even though it is interesting to know the family of a horse by sight not just by paperform, it becomes more and more less of a comparative advantage if the stallion in question is old enough to have internationally competing offspring on the ground. Especially in the times of internet and lifestreams of a lot of riding shows etc.
    Alexandra
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Lucky 2013: http://youtu.be/NVXVIaNcrKQ

And why people like me have to ask so many questions. lol

I have several "standard dressage type" stallions picked, but I'm trying to think outside the box to add power without losing the movement.

hmh, I do not know why this should be an culture divide if talking about this stallion ?

This stallion is now old enough to have offspring in the most difficult classes. Just today in the Grand Prix at Braunschweig one to be seen.
    Codex one e.g. also very known.
    No need to know his family now as there are so many on the ground and each year to be seen in various threads on licensings, pics on facebook etc. or videos on youtube.

To talk about Contendro's breeding results is not really tricky, it becomes tricky if we speak about stallions who are in the first years to be used. but even than. I would say all the people breeding in the US using frozen from Europe do their homework pretty well. And one can not really speak of a culture divide.

Even though it is interesting to know the family of a horse by sight not just by paperform, it becomes more and more less of a comparative advantage if the stallion in question is old enough to have internationally competing offspring on the ground. Especially in the times of internet and lifestreams of a lot of riding shows etc.
    Alexandra , your post only proves what I'm trying to say. Most breeders here don't have the luxury of doing what you just said. They don't have the luxury of witnessing these competitions , stallion liscensings , foal brandings etc. Most breeders only see videos.

The op is a good example. It was good that she asked because she didn't know. For someone like you and I......you are right. It's not "tricky" to use Contendro.

I think "tricky" is the wrong word. Ignorance, (not in a negative way) is probably the more correct word. I'll be the first to admit my ignorance about what Contendro can produce. I'll be the first to admit I'm a novice at this. In the future, i do plan on getting to Germany to see these guys for myself, as soon as I get back teh vacation days during the hrose illness last year.

BITS, it just depends what you want. I noticed in the UDBB thread you mentioned no De Niro because he tends to throw small (which I personally haven't noticed?) so my thoughts were that you want to avoid stallions who do not throw height? If so, stay away from Contendro (as lovely as he is).

Slightly OT, but I'm curious as to what you'd cross Calido to for a dressage horse? I think he is absolutely breathtaking.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

De Niro throws small? I have only seen a handful, but the ones that I have seen were definitely substantial sized warmbloods and not small by any definition.
    I have only seen one Contendro. He was definitely small (maybe 15.3?) and definitely more of hunter mover. I can't remember what the dam was though.

If you look for a dressage inheritor from Contender, go to Conteur! We bred to him and to Contendro. The latter a waste of time and money, despite the good mother and motherline.

FWIW, I have not observed DeNiro offspring to be small.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    FWIW, I have not observed DeNiro offspring to be small.
    Hmm.. her Deniro isn't big at all. But her weltmeyer is 17+.