The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Contender/Contendro I frozen semen

Is it still available? If so where? If not, anyone have extra doses to sell?

If not, how is Contendro I's semen? Anyone been successful with it?
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Mar. 10, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

I don't believe you will find any Contender semen available, at least not that anyone wants to part with.
    My experience with Contendro semen was excellent. I used it to do an embryo transfer on an older mare, and she took with one dose and I have a 2 year old filly now
    The only problem I had was that somewhere along the line the semen must have been handled roughly, because some of the straws exploded when we thawed them.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

How is Contendro's temperment?

FWIW we have a Contendro coming 3 year old out of a 1.60m GP Alexis Z mare at my barn. Might have been his upbringing but he's a little looky, but SMART. Never really panics and was out on the trails (our trails are NOT flat and easy either) his second or third time under saddle. Cool horse, can't wait to see what he does.
    Last edited by ShannonD; Mar. 11, 2011 at 12:46 AM.

We have some Contendro I in the tank. What kind of mare would you suggest using with him?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    We have some Contendro I in the tank. What kind of mare would you suggest using with him?
    Contendro is a great stallion but he , his full brother , 1/2 brother Caretano Z and 1/2 brother Cassito all are short coupled and short lined. They need very rectangular mares with long legs. This comes from their mother Bravo.

Hope that helps.

Even then you may get small. I have a 14'3''H Contendro I mare out of a 16'3"H Grusus mare. Not a first foal, just tiny. But I like that size. She is bred to my stallion, Ridley, and due to foal this month. Can't wait! She is a lovely mover with a great jump. Talented.

Chris Rush
    Fair Winds Farm
    www.fair-windsfarm.com

What other Contender stallions would be suitable for a dressage mare?

How often does Contendro throw small? Is it half the time or a fluke that 'can' happen on occasion? 14.3 is like..... pony sized

We have a Contendro gelding and we love him. He is out of a very successful Hannoverian mare. He is a bit looky but also very careful and competitive. He is probably 16.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjuVQ98HbK8

There are probably nicer Contender stallions out there if you are looking for a Dressage sire

A breeder in our club has used Contendro frozen at least 6 times. He has good mares, and the results have been super. One 3 year old filly in 2010 was Mare Champion of 3 year olds, Overall Champion Mare and Best Canadian-bred at her studbook inspection. A 2nd Contendro filly was also most attractive.
    His foals have included a "Champion Foal" and "Reserve Champion" over the years.
    I have a Contendro mare (bred by me in Germany, hence fresh semen). She is the apple of my eye. Not tall (scraping 16h), but great zest for life, tons of confidence, super, elastic gaits, and the trademark Contendro head.
    I think a leggier dam is a good choice.

I used a very solid, very big 16.3 hand Phantom/Polydor mare with Contendro. I wanted to down-size her a bit. The resulting filly is very nice and exactly what I'd hoped for. She is currently 2 yrs old and stands about 15.1-15.2. She is much lighter than the mare, still leggy and long-lined like the dam, but I think will mature shorter. However, she is already as tall as her 3 year old 1/2 sister by Indoctro, who seems to be permanently stuck at 15.2. Who can tell? My Contendro filly is definitely more reactive and sensitive than the mare or her 1/2 sister, but with the double Pilot I don't neccessarily think it came from Contendro Her reactivity is fine for me but is certainly not going to be for everyone. She is also a much better/fancier mover than her dam, with a much "bigger" trot and very good canter. She is NOT a hunter mover.
    Her 1/2 sister had the 2nd highest free jumping scores (9/8/9) on the AHHA inspection tour last year, and IMHO the Contendro filly is a better jumper in the chute. We will see what happens under saddle!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

back in the saddle, you might look at Contango and Camiros for Contender sons that can sire dressage horses (go, Ravel!)

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonD View Post
    FWIW we have a Contendro coming 3 year old out of a 1.60m GP Alexis Z mare at my barn. Might have been his upbringing but he's a little looky, but SMART. Never really panics and was out on the trails (our trails are NOT flat and easy either) his second or third time under saddle. Cool horse, can't wait to see what he does.
    Interesting about size...This gelding isn't much bigger than 16h if even either.

Is there any frozen from Contester?

http://www.goldenoakfarm.com/GoldenO...ter_Album.html

Quote Originally Posted by raffey1 View Post
    back in the saddle, you might look at Contango and Camiros for Contender sons that can sire dressage horses (go, Ravel!)
    I have thought about contango but he's a little massive for my mare. A friend has one by him out of a tb dam and she is very nice, but BIG. Here's a side by side comparison of my mare with contendro. Pretty similiar in type.

Another one on my check it oit list is chico's boy. Any good info on him? Has he sired dressage horses? I want
    ore uumph from the hind.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...m/9eb60621.jpg

Wow - Carlos - look at him jump!!
    Raffey1 - I think your suggestion of Contango is a good one. (Love Ravel ) He does often add size.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    I have thought about contango but he's a little massive for my mare. A friend has one by him out of a tb dam and she is very nice, but BIG. Here's a side by side comparison of my mare with contendro. Pretty similiar in type.

Another one on my check it oit list is chico's boy. Any good info on him? Has he sired dressage horses? I want
    ore uumph from the hind.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...m/9eb60621.jpg
    Yeah , after seeing many , many horses from this family , I would not use Contendro on this mare......sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. That's why I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Nothing to be sorry about. That's why I'm asking.
    I just meant that I was sorry because I've also wanted to use stallions that I later found out I shouldn't on a particular mare. It's a bummer sometimes.

Contendro is a great stallion but a little tricky to breed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    Please elucidate, Reece!
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    I guess that's why I have been told to buy Contendro, not breed
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com