The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default U-Gard and pregnant mares...

Does anyone have any experience using this with pregnant mares?? I couldn't find any information about using it on pregnant mares.

My mares has about 3 months left in her pregnancy, and I think her ulcer is flaring up . She's super cranky, and will leave her feed on occasion.

Suggestions please

Have a look at Neighlox. My repro vet has her mares on it throughout pregnancy.

I used it with a late term mare. Vet was just about to have me ship her to New Bolton and suggested I try it. She said it was very benign on the scale of meds. Worked on her and no issues afterwards.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Horsetales: I completely agree. Have you ever tasted it? LOL, I am weird, I taste stuff. Nothing in that would hurt anyone. IMHO
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

According to the packaging "safety in pregnant mares has not been determined". One of my mares is very ulcer prone, so I would also love to know if it is safe to give her when she is preggers.

Also used it in late term mare last year after checking with vet. No problem and a big help to her. She delivered a nice filly with no issue.

Good luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I used it recently in a 7m pregnant mare. My vets felt it was fine to use. The "safety in pregnancy has not been determined" byline just means they haven't done a controlled study etc etc, just like with people. It is a pretty benign drug in general so I wouldn't have much concern esp in late term when all the important bits are formed already.

And yes, I have tasted it- accidentally, and it is VILE. It smells great, but wow I hated the taste when I pulled the cap off with my teeth. Yuck!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Quote Originally Posted by buschkn View Post
    I used it recently in a 7m pregnant mare. My vets felt it was fine to use. The "safety in pregnancy has not been determined" byline just means they haven't done a controlled study etc etc, just like with people. It is a pretty benign drug in general so I wouldn't have much concern esp in late term when all the important bits are formed already.

And yes, I have tasted it- accidentally, and it is VILE. It smells great, but wow I hated the taste when I pulled the cap off with my teeth. Yuck!
    I have never seen U gard with a cap that didn't twist off the bottle or pry off the bucket. Are you thinking of ulcergard perhaps?

I used gastroguard on my mare when she foundered in Sept early in her pregnancy. That was 1/4 tube 2x/day for a preventative becasue she was on massive amounts of NSAIDS.

She still has 2 months to go, but so far the pregnancy is progressing. fingers crossed.

In humans, omeprazole is associated with osteoporosis with chronic use. As a doctor who is married to a doctor and who breeds horses together with my husband, we do not use omeprazole in pregnancy - neither horse nor human. Like so many drugs, the deleterious side effects are often not appreciated for years before a public health warning is issued.
    Hence the warning "not determined in pregnancy" in an attempt to limit litigation (should any bad news materialize) and to shift the responsibility to the individual.

We use ranitidine in both when indicated because we do not take any risks. In horses that means three times a day dosing, but then we have no worries about the bone density/matrix in our foals. The other advantage with ranitidine is you can buy at Costco at a pretty good discount and it becomes effective within one day of administration v. omeprazole which is expensive comparatively and becomes effective after three days.

We have also used ranitidine in foals when indicated - ie grinding, etc or after a positive endoscopy. Fortunately we have only had one case so far.

You should also know U-Gard (omeprazole 1 mg) will NOT treat ulcers, only prevent them. You need the higher dose of Gastro-gard (omeprazole 4 mg) for several weeks to 2 months to treat ulcers.

U Gard is NOT omeprazole.

Default Aloe Vera Juice

You can try Aloe Vera Juice-very benign,and maybe a probiotic-i use Fastrack on my broodie...keeps things moving...or possibly even Natural Plan Stomach Soother(Papaya)

Also have a look at : http://www.redmondequine.com/daily-gold.cfm

Thanks everyone-One thing I'll add, after looking at the Daily Gold, is she will NOT eat powder. Thats why I was suggested to try U-Gard Pellets

Default SUCCEED

Can't believe i forgot to mention...Succeed Oral Paste-you can syringe into her mouth orally yourself-excellent excellent stuff....or Foxden Equine's Tractguard(pellets)....also consider Smart Gut or Smart Digest Ultra...not sure if they are approved for broodmares though however they do come in a pellet

I used U Gard for many years with my broodmares and to date, have not had issues with any of the resulting foals and their bone density (that I am aware of)-BUT, having taken Protonix for years myself and later finding out the side effects, don't know that I would do it again. I have had two bone density scans-nothing has changed but the side effects that came up three years later for me: unexplained rashes and allergic reactions to ANY and all antibiotics. Now that I am no longer taking it, these have subsided but...if I knew then what I know now...