The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE POST 21 :) to (schooling) show or not to (schooling) show the greenbean

I'm very pleased with the progress my little mare has been making. I wouldn't show her rated yet (training level), as we're still working on better transitions etc (thinking of one rated show in September), but overall, we can "do" TL. I'm considering getting her out to a couple of local schooling shows just for the show experience. But then the perfectionist in me says wait a little longer, get things a little more solid. .

So, should I go by "school one level higher" (which I definitely use as a guideline for rated shows), or should I just expose her to as much "stuff" as I can? I only have one season of show experience myself, so I still have an itch to get more under my belt. I know there is always the option to just go to the show grounds, but I think if I went, I'd actually like to go in the ring
    Last edited by InsideLeg2OutsideRein; May. 2, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I would just go for it. If you have reservations then just enter the intro classes A and B so you don't even have to canter her at the first show. Just view it as simply getting yourselves in the ring and getting some experience. Good luck!

I would just enter her and take her...dont think too much about it Dont worry what other people will say if it all falls apart. YOU are the one out there doing it, and getting your horse exposed

If it's a schooling show just go and get your horse exposed to as much as possible. There's a lot more to showing than just riding the test(s). I have a 4-horse trailer and I fill it up every time we go to a schooling show. If I only have 3 going under saddle I will still bring the two year old (or whatever) to hang out, see the sights, learn to be a "big" horse, etc. Schooling shows are there for the purpose of getting both rider and horse more comfortable with the whole process. Go and have fun.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Default Oh definitely go and show!

The more practice the better. We've lined up all the schooling shows we can find this spring and early summer. I want to attend some Arab shows with dressage but going to a rated show and blowing all that money without being well prepared just doesn't seem sensible to me. So, off to the schooling shows where we made some fun friends last summer anyway, and practice practice practice.

I want to show my gelding in sport horse under saddle too, but he's never been in a group class under saddle, just dressage. Once again, I'm going to find me some 4H shows or other local shows to show him in a hack class or hunter pleasure or something before I go to an A Arab show and spend mucho dinero. That way if he decides to come unhinged in the midst of all those other horses I won't feel bad at all, unless I scare some poor 4H kids or something. I will try not to do that!

You can get a lot of show for your money at schooling shows. Definitely do it!

Like everybody else says, just go!

There's a big difference in how my horse does the test at "home" and at shows. We still haven't been to enough that he treats a show like any other thing so it's always more work when we're away from home to do the test well.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Just go!

A little personal experience here... I took my not-even-ready-for-intro mare to a schooling show, and while we provided comic relief for the class as she spooked at every invisible monster she could find, it was a good experience for us both and gave me a good idea of what and how she'll spook away from "home"....

I posted something similar over on the Hunter forum and I got encouraging advice- just go for it! One poster said, "Can your horse walk/trot/canter without killing anyone? Then go for it!"
    At schooling shows no one expects you to be perfect. I'm like you, a little nervous but also really eager to get some experience. So I say go to the show, have fun and who knows, you might win a pretty ribbon!

Quote Originally Posted by OTTB-Baron View Post
    I: "Can your horse walk/trot/canter without killing anyone? Then go for it!"
    I'm pretty sure we meet that requirement.

Default Do It!

Just do it!

Last July I got my tb/qh mare who was green broke w/t/c & steering (kinda). I schooled her for a week, took her to a schooling show- did intro a & b, and got decent scores, but also came in 1st place for each class. 2 weeks later i took her to another schooling show and did intro b and training 2 (thanks to COTH dressage who all encouraged me to do it!)...and we actually got a higher score in training than intro...and tied for first again. We would've totally taken first if I had ridden her better.

So- just go for it. If you find that its overwhelming for either you or the horse- then consider that for next time. You can only try

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

There is a difference between schooling one level higher and getting exposure for the horse. The first outing should be hand walking at a show, and perhaps schooling in the warm up or walking around the show and go home (and let them sleep). Next time, show.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Young horses gain so much from going to schooling shows. I say just go and have fun. She may not be perfect but so what.
    Our trainer takes her youngsters out even if its a western show. Her attitude is to just let them see the world. And you meet some fun people sometimes too.

Go!

I have a dear friend who talks about showing her lovely horse. But things are "not perfect yet" so she has put off showing yet again.

This has gone on for 9 YEARS. NINE years.

Schooling shows are for getting us out there, and seeing how we are progressing.

Go, and have a great time!

A few years back, I took my then "green bean" gelding to a schooling show just for fun.

He won - hands down - BOTH of his classes with absolutely no expectations from me or my trainer outside of keeping it pleasant. He'd been under saddle for a month.

Even the show office tent billowing in the gusting breeze didn't faze him.

Go. Have fun. Remember to breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    There is a difference between schooling one level higher and getting exposure for the horse. The first outing should be hand walking at a show, and perhaps schooling in the warm up or walking around the show and go home (and let them sleep). Next time, show.
    I have already taken her off the farm to a clinic, and she has managed really well. The schooling show is at a barn in literally walking distance (just ride down the hill) from my barn, and I plan on schooling her in the "show ring" at least once before the show.

And thanks to everyone for the encouragement!!! I brought it up to my trainer, and she too thinks it's ok to go for it. I guess I have no excuse not to go now .

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    And, honestly, some horses need to go more than once before entering the ring. Not talking about your mare. This is just a general soapbox comment. I have a nice mare who is calm, quiet, obedient at home. Nothing fazes her. Take her to a show environment and she flips out, rears, bolts, spins, bucks. She's a very intelligent horse and gets overstimulated. As her body matured (very slowly) her brain has matured (somewhat). She is one horse that needs lots of very, very slow exposure to make it all positive. Sometimes I forget or get my own goals in the way of her training.

Overall if you think your mare is ready to go experience a show (and not all schooling shows are quiet, small crowds) than take her. If you must enter the ring then make sure it's a test that she can do well with confidence. In this case it would be Intro. Keep the training scale in focus. Have fun. Laugh. Praise her when she pleases you. Enjoy yourself, the beautiful day and being out with other crazy horse owners.

Go for it!! This is what schooling shows are for. Dont go out and enter into a level you arent ready for, but if you can "do" training level, then go for it. Everyone needs to get several (or a bunch) of schooling shows under their belt before a rated show. It will be good for you and your horse. The judges comments will really be able to point you toward what you need to work on.

ETA: if your horse never leaves your farm and the arena (ie, going on trails, etc) you can expect her to act up/spook at shows. It doesnt sound like thats your situation, so while just hand walking her at a show is a good idea, I think you would be fine going into the show ring. Have fun!

Going to schooling shows is a good thing for your young mare.

When I take mine for their first shows, I am just going for the milleage, my goals are to have fun and show them something else. We do the test but I make sure I give them a nice experience.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by NCSue View Post
    And, honestly, some horses need to go more than once before entering the ring. Not talking about your mare. This is just a general soapbox comment. I have a nice mare who is calm, quiet, obedient at home. Nothing fazes her. Take her to a show environment and she flips out, rears, bolts, spins, bucks. She's a very intelligent horse and gets overstimulated. As her body matured (very slowly) her brain has matured (somewhat). She is one horse that needs lots of very, very slow exposure to make it all positive. Sometimes I forget or get my own goals in the way of her training.

Overall if you think your mare is ready to go experience a show (and not all schooling shows are quiet, small crowds) than take her. If you must enter the ring then make sure it's a test that she can do well with confidence. In this case it would be Intro. Keep the training scale in focus. Have fun. Laugh. Praise her when she pleases you. Enjoy yourself, the beautiful day and being out with other crazy horse owners.
    This...

My gelding and I are training TL at home and even a little beyond but when I take him out he does Intro until he becomes perfectly comfortable at the schooling shows.
    Its just hilarious sometimes to see how quiet he is at home and then watch the "Dr Jekyl" transformation at some of the busier schooling shows

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou for my Isabell saddle and a full seat pant.

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    Its just hilarious sometimes to see how quiet he is at home and then watch the "Dr Jekyl" transformation at some of the busier schooling shows

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou for my Isabell saddle and a full seat pant.

This is what I fear when I get my young mare out to shows!!! Am getting an Isabell just for the grip factor!!! Well, that and I don't want my good saddle destroyed. She's a bit hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.