The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Default Antares saddle - how to fix the damage from jeans?

I bought a "like-new" Antares saddle (had been ridden in maybe 5 times?) from someone that was leaving the barn I worked at on the east coast due to a nasty divorce. This was about 4 years ago, but now said saddle doesn't quite look so new. It's got the normal wear from riding 4-6 horses daily for 2-3 years before I went back to college, but what's really concerning me is the seat, especially the pommel. I used to ride in jeans ALL the time and only recently just started riding in breeches religiously hoping that it would stop the problem from getting worse. The seat is pretty scuffed and just not wearing "normally" (compared to my trainer's Antares [that I care for just like I do my own] or my old Tad Coffin) Oiling helps, but I'd hate to oil my saddle frequently as I've always been told this isn't good.

Do I need to suck it up and buy the Antares leather care products? What do I need to do differently? I love this saddle and it's still got a lot of life left in it, I just want to get this fixed before it gets any worse.

I don't know if there's much you can do now, but you can always have the seat replaced when it's time. It's an expensive proposition but worthwhile if it's not in good shape.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Do you have a local Antares dealer around? I'd take it to someone who knows antares saddles and see what they recommend. I really do like Antares oil. It's pretty light and you can use a lot without feeling like you're over oiling it. Smartpak carries all the Antares leather products.
    Kelly
    Zimpatico - 21 year old Hanoverian

The only way to keep the damage from getting worse is to protect the seat. You might consider one of the very thin seat savers to ride in when you're not showing.

Otherwise, you will likely have to have the seat replaced.

You cannot reduce wear.

This is the seat saver I was thinking of: http://theotherseat.homestead.com/index.html
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Ditto the advice to start using a thin seat saver, preferably of smooth leather, to reduce friction on the worn areas. If the wear is in a confined area, you could also look into the possibility of getting it patched so that it won't spread. The patches are ugly but they are much, much cheaper than a new seat (think $50-$150 compared to $500-$800).

The damage is already done, oiling is not going to repair it. All you can do is ride in breeches and resign yourself to eventually having the seat replaced. I know Beval does a beautiful job but they charge $935 and up for seat replacement. I doubt Antares would be any cheaper and then it has to be sent to France, probably takes forever to get it back.

I agree with the other posts...you can't fix the damage when it's already done, unfortunately :-( Seatsaver, oil (to lessen the appearance), or new seat and NO more riding in jeans!

when this happened to my old saddle i called a person who did seat repairs. he was backed up for months and recommended using crazy glue in the areas that were worn out. it did the trick. it stopped the wear. yes i looks nicer to have a new seat, but its better than having patches put on it.

Would you guys say that this is a saddle that would need a seat replacement in the near future or one that just has some extra wear in the pommel area?

http://frenchusedsaddles.com//wp-con.../175-20003.jpg
    Last edited by GreystoneKC; Mar. 10, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: forgot link
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I got a very thin, smooth leather seat saver made for my saddle ($50 custom made). It protects the saddle from additional wear, and I just take it off when I go to shows. I recommend this kind of seat saver if you want something that you can't feel on the seat, and doesn't affect your ride. It also broke in to conform like a glove to my saddle, so it's not very visible either.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Greystone - that's about what mine looks, AFTER oiling! But otherwise it's got a whitish, scuffy look to the pommel.

Quote Originally Posted by TSWJB View Post
    when this happened to my old saddle i called a person who did seat repairs. he was backed up for months and recommended using crazy glue in the areas that were worn out. it did the trick. it stopped the wear. yes i looks nicer to have a new seat, but its better than having patches put on it.

Funny, my saddle was previously owned by my old trainer and she did that to her seat! It definitely does work. Doesn't look the prettiest, but in the year and a half I've had it the wear (from her wearing jeans as well, and the saddle is over 10 years old anyway) hasn't gotten any worse.

My friend sent her Antares back to the company to have them replace the seat. It was $600, it looks great and they threw in a new saddle cover. But it took them a few months. So I guess it would depend on how long you could be without your saddle.
    ~ Unexpected ~

Greystone, that one probably has some time if you baby it. I had one that literally slit across that part - it was old, it had been ridden in jeans, but was otherwise in impeccable shape. I had them stick a patch over it since I wasn't paying to replace the seat on a $600, 10 year old Ashland - the patch lasted a year or two. Then it fell off. The saddle is still quite usable and I still haven't gotten the seat or patch replaced. That was 7-8 years ago.

Mind you, I don't use it every day or even at all anymore - but for a while I was riding in it consistently and it held okay. If it were one I was going to use consistently I would pay to have it repaired properly.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't know if there's much you can do now, but you can always have the seat replaced when it's time. It's an expensive proposition but worthwhile if it's not in good shape.
    I'm dealing with this now. When I bought my used childeric, its pommel was abraded from the previous owner's jeans.

It's now time to replace the seat because holes have developed. I need to take it up to Wellington soon and have an estimate done. (gulp...)
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"