The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Are you a USEF member?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

6 8.33%
  • Yes, to compete in young horse breed show/line/futurity/materiale classes

9 12.50%
  • Yes, to compete in mature horse under saddle competitions

7 9.72%
  • Yes, to compete in BOTH young horse and mature horse competitions

41 56.94%
  • Yes, but membership is for other than competition reasons

9 12.50%

Default POLL: Breeders, USEF Member?

Fellow breeders - I'm doing a quick poll for a project I'm working on related to USEF and US breeders. Would you please let me know whether you are a current USEF member and if you are, what type of competitions might be the reason behind that membership?

TIA!
    Last edited by baywithchrome2; Mar. 16, 2011 at 06:13 PM.

We at In Flight Farm do mostly dressage competitions, but over the last couple of years, we have entered a few in hand/sporthorse classes and have had super results. We have 7 more foals coming in 2011, so we will definitely make our presences felt in the sporthorse division this year. www.inflightfarm.com

I voted yes, because it is virtually impossible to show (at least and get credit for it) without the membership, but the USEF just sucks, as does the USDF. Both websites are horrible and the data is completely corrupt.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Ditto what Tiki mentioned. I mostly show in DSHB and some Dressage but used to show 'A' circuit hunters. I've been a member for 11 years (USEF).

I've been a USEF member since the mid 60s and a licensed official since the early 70s. I have held licenses in hunter, jumper. hunter breeding, hunter equitation, eventing and dressage (S). My horses compete in dressage, hunter, jumper and eventing currently, and occasionally in hand. I support recognized shows of all types mostly because I believe that drug testing keeps the sport more honest. Play by the rules please!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I am, even though I live in Canada. That way my US destined horses are in the system, which is easier when they show there, or when they sell there.

Thanks for the comments guys! Please keep the votes and the comments coming... good, bad... I'll take it all. At the end of the day, this could benefit all of us so even if you are a lurker on these boards, please let us know your status!

Yes, I'm a member but I only life-time register certain horses because I think the USEF isn't doing much for breeders in the US. I will never understand why they are unable or unwilling to implement ONE registration number per horse - a number that stays with the horse throughout its lifetime, regardless of how many times it changes owners. The fact that they don't do this makes all of their awards programs a joke.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

and their data a joke.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I am a member of USEF when my horses are being shown which can be off and on thoughout the years. This year I decided to register my foals for two reasons. A added perk for future buyers but more importantly so that HOPEFULLY I can follow and/or find them in the future. That said...I agree 100% with Siegi, if horses are allowed to change names (as a breeder I strongly discourage all my buyers to change names of our foals) then they MUST have only one number for life. As breeders it is vital to our programs to be able to follow our youngsters thoughout their lives. Our broodmares "resume" is built mostly on her offspring and their accomplishments. She can earn predicates based on this. I have a SUPER KWPN Elite mare that has had 9 offspring most of which are "lost" because no matter how much research I do I can't seem to find them...and they are out there competing! Very frustrating! I have another horse I sold that I wish I could locate for sentimental purposes but his name changed and soon after even his USEF number...who knows where he is at...he is probably close to retirement and I wanted to offer a retirement home for him if needed. I wish USEF made these this easier for us, especially breeders!
    Last edited by Sabino Farm; Mar. 16, 2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I have been a member since 1974 and have competed horses for years in dressage. Now my horses compete with my trainers in both dressage and DSHB shows.

I am a member, have been for years, but don't LIKE it. I show both babies and under-saddle and am only a member so that the horses/farm get credit for their results. I generally life-time register all of my foals, but may not continue that, as it is such a joke when a transfer is so cheap. I agree with those who want a one number for life system and that the data is a JOKE.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I agree with those who want a one number for life system and that the data is a JOKE.
    You would all think differently if you lived and competed in Canada Equine Canada has NO sire ratings, NO breeder ratings, NO division standings...we don't even have Year-End awards or Zone awards. NOTHING. I'm lucky sometimes if I can even find show results on the Equine Canada website. It's terrible, and not all shows and show results are listed. We (Canadians) are ENVIOUS of the USEF/USDF database system. So you may think your system sucks, but there are many other Countries that don't have half of what you have!

To answer the OP's question, even though I'm from Canada, I have a USEF membership, as I have multiple USEF judges cards and we always purchase USEF lifetime numbers for our babies.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg & RPSI approved pony stallions Daventry's Power Play & Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals www.EquineAppraisers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    You would all think differently if you lived and competed in Canada Equine Canada has NO sire ratings, NO breeder ratings, NO division standings...we don't even have Year-End awards or Zone awards. NOTHING. I'm lucky sometimes if I can even find show results on the Equine Canada website. It's terrible, and not all shows and show results are listed. We (Canadians) are ENVIOUS of the USEF/USDF database system. So you may think your system sucks, but there are many other Countries that don't have half of what you have!

To answer the OP's question, even though I'm from Canada, I have a USEF membership, as I have multiple USEF judges cards and we always purchase USEF lifetime numbers for our babies.
    What a super post to help us put things in perspective-- kind of like "my back is killing me and my family's driving me nuts, but at least I'm not in Libya or Japan"!

More directly to the point: couldn't respond to the poll. It needs another option to enable me to do so, and I suspect I'm not alone: membership depends upon how much, at what level, and in what disciplines I intend to show in a particular year. Some years I pay USEF (etc.) dues, sometimes I don't. It's an economic decision.

Daventry..... not sure I agree with your opinion that a bad system is better than none. Just think about how you would feel if somebody else's horse got the HOY award because the USEF isn't keeping good records on yours.

In the IT (information technology) world there is a very old saying.... "Garbage in, garbage out, or GiGa for short!" and that definitely applies in the USEF's case!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I am a member and our horses compete in dressage and in-hand comps.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    More directly to the point: couldn't respond to the poll. It needs another option to enable me to do so, and I suspect I'm not alone: membership depends upon how much, at what level, and in what disciplines I intend to show in a particular year. Some years I pay USEF (etc.) dues, sometimes I don't. It's an economic decision.
    Thanks Fish. I should have been clearer and I totally understand and appreciate what you are saying, but for simplicity sake, let's just focus on whether you are a USEF member currently. TIA!

Your poll could use some options for Hunter/Jumper exhibitors/breeders.

There are no USEF Hunter Young Horse classes. So they tend to show in divisions as babies that might not be recognizable as limited to young horses because those classes carry no USEF rating.

I do compete young horses but if I'm doing IHF I have to have USEF membership to show as long as those classes are held at USEF rated shows but competing in IHF in itself doesn't require USEF membership.

I compete mature horses in performance classes. In H/J that's just not under saddle classes.

Yes, I'm a USEF member, can't show without that and a USHJA membership ( for me and the horses )

All of my babies have USEF lifetime numbers and many also have USDF and USEA lifetime numbers, for USEA at the "to training div. level" to date. I do USEF hunter breeding, DSHB classes, and FEH classes most years, depending upon our evaluation of each youngsters. Those showing HB also have USHJA affiliation. The lifetime numbers, I believe, have helped with my sales. I've seen a big improvement in USEF pedigree-keeping though it isn't still very good. I am also a fanatic about taking advantage of the USEF correction system. Also, I hold memberships in USEF, USHJA, USDF, and USEA annually as well as state and regional organizations. RE-UP time is complicated!
    One complaint: Regarding the new USEF American Performance Horse division with its 3 age divisions, with over 200 horses ranked at year's end in each age group, only the top single horse in each received recognition. USEF told me that the others are simply ranked. I don't believe that an archived ranking, age group by age group, is going to even get a look-see by the average USEF member, yet this is where our "AMERICAN-BRED HORSES" can be found. Not well done, USEF!