The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Regazzoni stallion

I'm hoping someone out there knows whether Regazzoni tends to produce height? I'm curious as to what my mare would throw, being that she is only 15.2 hands and her pedigree has mostly 16.1 horses. I would appreciate feedback. Thanks

I'm not sure about height, but I know he's supposed to be a refining stallion.

My husband saw him in person when he was at Oldenburg Farm and said he was not very big. I have loved many of his offspring but I would be careful using him on a small mare if you are looking to produce something bigger.

Ditto what others have said - he is not a big horse and I have always been told that he tended to produce small. A friend looked at him for that reason for her 18h mare.

His owner is very easy to work with and extremely knowledgeable. I am sure she would be happy to talk with you about your mare and what he has produced when crossed with different types.
    New Blessing Farm
    Standing the Oldenburg stallion Legaczy
    www.newblessingfarm.com
    "The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground".

I have a Regazzoni granddaughter (by Ragtime) out of a TB mare. Ragtime is 16.2, my mare is a hair under 16 hands, this filly is coming three and she is 15.3 and very refined. She should gain a little more height, but her knees are completely closed so maybe not too much. She is a very pretty filly, she is just a dainty girl.
    Sheila Armstrong

There is a lovely 4 yr old Regazzoni out of a Watch Me mare in my neck of the woods. Very modern looking, refined and not a big horse. I'd say 16.1 but just lovely. The dam has produced very large with other stallions.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Thanks for the feedback. This mare is an imported KWPN by Wolfgang and he does not throw height. With this 15.2H daughter of his I'd best go with a stallion who throws height. I love Regazzoni for this mare except for the height concern. Not too many riders want a 15.2 horse. She needs height and more neck (length of neck and fullness of neck). Another stallion I have considered for her is Idocus at 16.3H. This mare is as modern as I like. I would not want to create a more refined offspring. The mare is coming 19 and I'd prefer not to use frozen for several reasons, otherwise I would look at Wamberto. Thanks for your suggestions!

Idocus can throw small as well. I've known a few that were in the 15.2 hand range. I had an Idocus/Juventus mare, who never made 15.3.

I recently sold my Idocus mare. She was 16 hands on her tippy toes. Her dam was a MSB hanoverian who at 21 sticks well over 16.3. The Idocus foal was the 2nd foal from this mare, she also had a Wonderful daughter who was 16.2 at maturity. There was plenty of height on the dam's side of the pedigree as well.

Good to know this about Idocus. I was looking at Mezcalero for size, but he also does not tend to produce size. I adore Cunningham but don't want gray. If anyone has suggestions for a modern versatile european-approved stallion that throws height, length of neck, and a nice head, and who is available with fresh cooled, let me know!

Landkoenig? Definitely throws height.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by urciegirl View Post
    Good to know this about Idocus. I was looking at Mezcalero for size, but he also does not tend to produce size. I adore Cunningham but don't want gray. If anyone has suggestions for a modern versatile european-approved stallion that throws height, length of neck, and a nice head, and who is available with fresh cooled, let me know!

Are you sure about that with Mez? The offspring I've seen have not been small. What about Kathy's stallion Edelweiss?
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I had a lovely Idocus mare, who was subsequently purchased by my dressage coach - a petite woman who was happy with her 15.2 1/2 hands height,
    I love Regazzoni and his offspring - wonderful gaits and rideability, and power behind.
    You should look at Rock Brasiliano, now in Canada, a Regazzoni grandson through Riccione. Beautiful, "11" temperament, very rideable and trainable with soft, swingy gaits. In his SPT he received 9's or better for gaits and rideability. He is listed variously as 17.1 and 16.3.
    I have seen him several times in person, and he is very easy to love.
    Standing at Grandview Equestrian near Toronto. Is training Prix Ste Georges (7 yo).

Regarding Landkonig - I had a filly by him - wonderful mover, sweet, easy, happy temperament - and tall.She was a very striking filly - and captured the attention of all visitors, unfailingly.
    She has finished about 17.1h. Her dam (Espri / Woermann) is about 16.1+.

I agree that Regazzoni does not increase size. That said, I had a Regazzoni colt from a very tall Bon Bonaparte mare who grew up to be a leggy, elegant 17.1 hands.