The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good saddle for both dressage and jumping?

Any suggestions on an "all around" saddle for a smaller OTTB? I can't swing two new saddles right now (new horse, old tack doesn't fit) so I am looking for something I can use for dressage and jumping. Dressage is my stronger area and I feel I can overcome a saddle not meant for only dressage. I do have a longer femur which is making finding a jumping saddle a little more difficult (knee rolls get in my way).

Thanks in advance!

I found my Devoucoux Oreka quite comfortable to flat in. Also like my Berney Bros Dublin jumper for both flatting and jumping. Some of the older saddles like the Pandur, which can be found inexpensively: http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/jumpi...Used10616.html work well for both.

An Ainsley Pro National could be another choice. A lot of people with a longer femur like this one: http://www.saddlesource.com/proddeta...0000224&cat=11

Also, the Dominus saddles could be an option: http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com/used-t...us-used-saddle

A lot will come down to personal preference and what fits your horse.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a longer femur too. Given my experience, I would recommend getting a well-fitting jumping saddle and doing your flatwork in that for the time being, rather than getting something in between.

I have had good luck with Black Country saddles myself, and I order them extra-forward. Check with Trumbull Mountain in VT to see what they have used (they will also work with you on fitting).

Quote Originally Posted by CookiePony View Post
    I have a longer femur too. Given my experience, I would recommend getting a well-fitting jumping saddle and doing your flatwork in that for the time being, rather than getting something in between.
    Agreed. I also do both dressage and hunt seat. I ended up with a close contact saddle that has a slightly deep seat and straighter flaps. It's a lot easier to do dressage in a close contact saddle than trying to jump in a saddle that is made more for dressage. Plus, you can show lower level dressage in any saddle, but can't show hunters in a dressage saddle...
    Kelly
    Zimpatico - 21 year old Hanoverian

Thanks for the responses. I will defintely be looking at these options (and of course finding the best fit for the horse).

I have the Berney AP & love it to death & back. They are really reasonably priced for the quality of leather and the workmanship.

I hope to pick up their dressage saddle within the next few months. Berneys are well known for fitting TB’s
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I'm going to second the Black Country. The Tex Eventer I have on trial is beautifully balanced for flatwork, which is usually a bad thing as i've found that if they're balanced for flat for me, they suck for jumping because they tend to put my leg too far underneath me. The Tex Eventer has an elongated balance point and a sloping seat which allows me to adjust my balance back and forth as needed, so it works as a flat and jump saddle for me. My Biarritz is also pretty good for flat, but i find that it puts my leg slightly in front of me for flatwork, which is great for jumping. The seat on the Biarritz is deeper than the Tex Eventer, if that matters to you.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I second (or third ) the idea of fitting your horse and yourself for a proper jumping saddle rather than using a "it'll work for both" criteria. With my long femur, I found that the saddle that worked best for my little horse and me is the Devoucoux Chiberta made with an extra forward flap (and luckily a major anniversary coincided with this discovery and hubby paid for half of saddle - just sold my old saddle and I'm now debt free!!!...) - yes, I can do flatwork in it just fine, but the primary function of this saddle is jumping, which is the primary reason it's in my tackroom. When I find the money tree out in the swamp, I'll buy a Devoucoux Makila...til then, my magic saddle is so very lovely! Good luck in your search.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Have you heard the saying about saddles: "All purpose equals no purpose"? Get a good jumping saddle. You can do lower-level dressage in that until you can get a dressage saddle. Your balance during jumping is the priority over your dressage position.

we use collegiate Sr. event saddles. they are really comfortable, well made and put you in a nice position on the flat AND over fences. I have ridden in a lot of different saddles, but i honestly like the sr. event saddle.

I have a Crosby Olympia which I believe eventually became the Crosby Sofride. Very secure for jumping and fits my arab cross who has a back more like a shark finned TB. I don't have any problems flatting in it.
    I am not sure how well it would work with a long femured rider.

IMO they also ride a little small. I normally do well in 17.5 but mine is an 18 and I don't think I could ride in a 17.5.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

There are plenty of good all purpose saddles -- mostly the ones that are more suitable to jumping.

A lot depends on the rider's conformation and the balance point of the saddle. I've had several A/P saddles that I found very useful.

An Albion Original Comfort saw me through Training Level eventing and then I had a Stubben VSS that I jumped/flatted in for several years. I have a nice Austrian saddle right now that I use for general hacking and popping over fences up to about 2' and I find it's comfortable and balanced -- great for the days I don't want to ride in a true xc saddle or a dressage saddle.

Many "eventing" saddles qualify as AP in my book. I would just be careful to find one that has a fairly flat seat and where the stirrup bars aren't too far forward (that will put you in a chair seat).

Here's something I wrote about it.

What does an All Purpose Saddle Look Like?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.