The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horses accidentally fed twice? Should I worry?

So, this morning I got a call from a fellow boarder. We have a new barn guy and he feeds early in the morning - 6ish.

She got to the barn around 8:30-9:00 and didn't think that they had been fed, so she fed. Again. They are all outside and looking happy. I'm inclined not to worry too much - but should I be worried?

Also, I'm assuming that we should feed as normal tonight?
    thanks!
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

I wouldnt be too worried. Mine sometimes get extra grain as a treat. Unless theyre getting huge amounts, specific meds or certain supplements, im sure theyre fine!

Exclamation

It is very dependent on the amount of grain they get.
    a horse normally getting 1/2 # of grain, suddenly getting 1#, shouldn't be a problem.

However a horse getting 2-5#'s of grain could be in serious trouble. The fact that everyone looks fine now has no bearing on the long term outlook. Problems with grain overload are not immediately apparent unless they eat enough to cause immediate distension. Ingestion of more than the normal amount of grain increases the digestive bacteria, when they die off they produce toxins, and it is the toxins that cause laminitis.

Preemptive treatment can run from giving mineral oil, to simply giving Banamine.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I wouldn't worry. Eating their normal amount at 6, and their normal amount again at 9 shouldn't cause any issues.

I might drop a word to the vet and give banamine if a horse with a serius predisposition to gut issues got 5# at 6am and 5# at 6:30am, or if the horses got their normal feed at 6am and some other horses normal feed at 9am. Obviously, all bets are off if there were meds mixed in with the grain that they got double doses of.

I think your safe. It sounds like it was 3 hours apart. I feed the horse here breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Lunch is at 12:00 and dinner is at 3:00 and all have been a-ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Reddfox View Post
    So, this morning I got a call from a fellow boarder. We have a new barn guy and he feeds early in the morning - 6ish.

She got to the barn around 8:30-9:00 and didn't think that they had been fed, so she fed. Again. They are all outside and looking happy. I'm inclined not to worry too much - but should I be worried?

Also, I'm assuming that we should feed as normal tonight?
    thanks!
    Heehee barn buddy, we're not COTH-addicted or anything, are we?
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Heehee barn buddy, we're not COTH-addicted or anything, are we?
    Great minds think alike
    Going to the COTH fount of knowledge!
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!