The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do you suppose my dog has been throwing up lately?

My JRT Riley does not normally have a sensitive stomach. This all started last week out of the blue when he'd sat in my car for awhile and then when I got in it, he blew chuncks all over the console. He seemed fine the next few days, but the last two nights he's woken me up because he had to puke. It was mainly foamy saliva.

What do you suppose is going on? He is acting normal otherwise.

Could he have gotten into garbage? I just went through this with my chihuahua. I did not know it, but all 4 of my dogs got into some garbage and only the chihuahua ended up with gastroenteritis and possibly a mild pancreatitis. $1000+ dollars later (x-rays, ultrasound, meds, 2 week stay at the vet), he is better, but still sensative. He too was acting fine, just would throw up every time he ate anything.

I would say your dog probably ate something and could either have something stuck, or have a gastroenteritis, or possibly pancreatitis. It's important to get veterinary care because they can get dehydrated and/or can get a bad or even fatal infection from all of the bacteria. That's why the vets call it "garbage gut".

I'm no vet, so it could possibly be other things, but IME, that is what it is.

This has been happening off and on for a week and you haven't taken him to a vet yet? It could be pancreatitis with foamy vomit and that could be very, very serious. Is he also passing clear, watery stool?
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Reasons my dogs throw up:

-Eating dead things
    -Eating horse manure
    -Eating hoof trimmings
    -Eating each others food
    -Eating their own poop (the doberman puppy is growing out of this slowly )
    -Eating other non food items (like Power Rangers arms or a variety of other gross things)

Did you notice anything non food like in the vomit? Sometimes if they get the hoof trimmings mine will throw up a few times until the hoof comes out and it is mainly the foamy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    This has been happening off and on for a week and you haven't taken him to a vet yet? It could be pancreatitis with foamy vomit and that could be very, very serious. Is he also passing clear, watery stool?
    My dog had pancreatitis and the only symptom he had was vomiting. It is a medical emergency and we almost lost our dog.

I would take your dog in to the vet immediatley!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Sorry, but I don't necessarily rush to the vet immediately either. Especially if the dog appears normal otherwise. That said, this has been a week... but I wouldn't be so quick to pounce on the OP.

Second asking if there is anything unusual in the vomit? Mine have done the foamy saliva thing and it turned out to be bone chunks, so I've had to be exceptionally careful how long they have a bone (even the large strong raw ones they do not have for long). Otherwise, if you don't think it could be bones or his getting into something, yes, I would take him in to the vet. It could be a number of things, including diabetes, too. Is he drinking and peeing excessively?
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Foamy vomit could also be a sign of pneumonia. My greyhound had those same symptoms when he aspirated some food. He coughed up the clear/whitish foamy mucus looking stuff. It seemed like vomit, but it was not coming up from the stomach. This can be very serious, I recommend checking with your vet in either case. I almost lost my beloved old guy (he is 13 now).
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

A quick call to your vet to let him/her know what's going on would be more beneficial to your dog's health than asking complete strangers on a BB - most, if not all, of us have never even seen your dog.

When I worked at a referral small animal hospital, it was amazing how many people would wait this long to even CALL a vet, not to mention actually getting the dog looked at by a vet.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but seriously - a WEEK'S worth of vomiting and you don't even make a FREE phone call to your vet?

Honestly, if I have waited a week when my dog got Pancretitis he would not have made it. Better safe than sorry
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but seriously - a WEEK'S worth of vomiting and you don't even make a FREE phone call to your vet?
    Really.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    A quick call to your vet to let him/her know what's going on would be more beneficial to your dog's health than asking complete strangers on a BB - most, if not all, of us have never even seen your dog.

When I worked at a referral small animal hospital, it was amazing how many people would wait this long to even CALL a vet, not to mention actually getting the dog looked at by a vet.

Ditto.
    It might be something simple and benign. But could be something more serious. With no other history on your dog other than it is a JRT no vet can make even a guess as to the list of possible causes.
    Could be something as minor as just some mild gastritis or something as major as Addison's disease (see recent thread on Cushing's).

After a week, dog needs to be seen.

Did everyone miss where he only vomited food ONCE and then was fine the next few days? He has NOT been vomiting ALL week.
    I work in a vet clinic and if my dog threw up once I wouldn't take her in if she was fine after that. But yes, now that the dog has "vomited" two nights in a row I would suggest having him seen by a vet. To be quite honest the two episodes could be totally unrelated.

These are not the first times in his life that he has woken me up in the middle of the night to barf. He is 9 years old and has done his share of barfing. No recent hoof trimmings. His little JRT body cannot digest hoof trimmings, so if he accidentally ingests some, they come up 2 days later.

All functions have been completely normal, with acception of the barfing. If he had other symptoms, he'd have been rushed to the vet. He is following his standard routine. He is well hydrated. Wake up and ask to go potty, ask for breakfast, eat it with gusto, go outside to take a poop, run around all day with glee being a JRT, pee a bunch of times during the day. Repeat morning feeding routine in the evening. Poop some more.

I did notice a piece of grass hanging out of his little bottom after he did the butt drag, so I helped him dislodge it. :-) He obviously had eaten some grass recently. I know that dogs do that for all sorts of reasons, one being stomach upset.

The first barf was after a winding road trip, napping, and then standing up suddenly when I opened the car door. The other two midnight barfs were mainly water and foamy spit. NOT bile. Food had been digested.

Heading over to the vet right now, just to make sure. Have to be there before 7.

Hope he's okay! It might just be that he's getting more sensitive with age. My dog could eat anything when she was younger, but around age 6 began being very susceptible to stomach upsets.

Have you wormed him lately???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

gastric foreign body comes to mind...
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Vomitting in the car sounds like he got motion sickness while being in the car. The foamy stuff sounds like your run of the mill puking from upset tummy.

I too wouldn't be rushing my dog to the vet unless I had cause to do so. Given the symptoms listed here, I would wait until I saw further reason to do so. Yes, it is always wise to take dog to vet, but it isn't always needed. Some dogs get into stuff all the time. Vomitting is a frequent occurrence. Foamy stuff....It happens to my upon occassion. If frequent or repeated, Yes they would go to vet as needed.

OP, let us know how it goes. Hope dog is ok. I probably would have waited, but I understand the reasons for Rushing dog to vet.
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

I think Riley is becoming a midnight bulimic! After going to the vet and the vet could not find a thing wrong with him, we once again woke me up in the middle of the night to do one little barf! All of the barfing has happened in the dark. I will continue to monitor him and if it keeps up take him back.

He was wormed in September. He has the full medical plan at Pet Smart so any vet appointments are included no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Have you wormed him lately???

1) I HOPE NOT. It really is not in the dog's best interest to give them worms. ;-) DEworming, yes.
    2) Just arbitrarily deworming adult dogs is usually a waste of time and money. Few adults have rounds or hooks. Whips are harder to treat. And then there are tape worms, which no OTC deworms will get.
    3) If the dog in on monthly heartworm preventative like heartguard, interceptor, sentinal, etc intestinal worms are prevented. Heartguard only does R and H; none do tapes.

Sorry, just had to be picky. "Worming" critters drives me nuts!

Gastric FB also comes to mind a possiblitly as something of concern.

I know the dog wasn't vomiting every day. But if you vomited a couple times in one week you would prob go see a doctor. It ain't normal.

Keep an eye on him. Try feeding him earlier in the evening.
    For grins, you can try giving him 10 mg of Pepcid AC once a day for a day or 2. AS LONG AS EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT HIM IS 110% NORMAL. I have seen some dogs get a bit of, for something to call it, "gastric reflux". Esp if they have vomited a few times and then have a bit of esophogitis from it. It continues to bother them and they get "urpy".

Does anything other than his dog food and water go in his mouth? Ie ANY medication (OTC, supplements, etc), toys, etc?

Gee, I feel like I am back at work today ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    1) I HOPE NOT. It really is not in the dog's best interest to give them worms. ;-) DEworming, yes.
    2) Just arbitrarily deworming adult dogs is usually a waste of time and money. Few adults have rounds or hooks. Whips are harder to treat. And then there are tape worms, which no OTC deworms will get.
    3) If the dog in on monthly heartworm preventative like heartguard, interceptor, sentinal, etc intestinal worms are prevented. Heartguard only does R and H; none do tapes.

Sorry, just had to be picky. "Worming" critters drives me nuts!
    "Worming" or "deworming" are both perfectly acceptable according to dictionary.com

Medical Dictionary

2 worm definition
    Function: vt
    : to treat (an animal) with a drug to destroy or expel parasitic worms

OP,
    Hope your JRT is feeling better