The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 19yo TB Gelding

Free to great home: AUBURN, AL

19yo 16.1hh chestnut TB Gelding. Had an extensive career in the Hunter ring up to 3'-3'3". He was purchased a couple of years ago by a family for their daughters to learn on. He has the sweetest puppy dog personality! He has taugh countless kids how to canter, how to jump, or taught them their first riding lessons. He is also very good on trails. I've never seen him spook, kick, bite. He has absolutely perfect ground manners and is just as sweet as he can be.
    He does have an unsoundness in his right stifle that is corrected with regular (monthly) Adequan. If you try to ride him when he is unsound (obviously not a good idea, right?!) he will buck, but honestly, who can blame him? So his young owners are busy with school and not riding much and the mother has asked me to help find him a home where he can be loved and taken care of. He would make a super pasture buddy (very passive), or "pet" horse for someone to dote on and spend hours in the crossties with. He is also very rideable and could be a great trail horse or pleasure horse, but will need some maintenance for that stifle.

He is located in Auburn, AL. Feel free to respond here or PM me if you have questions or know someone who may be interested. Thanks!
    Last edited by Foxygrl516; Mar. 10, 2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: tried to edit title to include location...

Default Your horse

Is he totally quiet on trail rides? Would he go out by himself?

thanks

The girls in this family have taken him out on trails a good bit and he's always been a perfect gentleman. (I've witnessed it several times). I've seen him trail ride beautifully, pass "spooky" things w/ no issue, cross creeks, etc.

Again, he just needs to have his maintenance adequan (maybe a feed supplement would help as well?). Right now he has been out in the field for about 6 months and has not been ridden or worked. So he needs to get a good loading dose of Adequan to get comfy on that stifle again, and then if he is kept sound I've never seen him be anything but completely well behaved. An easy job on the trails would be a great fit for this horse.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I need to clarify anything. Thank you!

Oh, I forgot to answer one of your questions. Sorry. Yes, I have taken him out on a trail by himself before and he was totally fine. He hasn't done it a lot since he's been at our farm because his owners are kids and not allowed to trail ride alone. But in the times he has done it, he has been totally fine with it.

Default Sent you

a PM - did you get it?

I just got it and replied. Sorry for the delay!

Bump
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Duncan has been placed! Thank you all so much!