The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default High quality basic black belt that can be used for breeches and jeans and care?

Anyone have a suggestion on a good quality basic (limited to no bling) belt?

I am getting so sick of the cheap belts they sell these days. I want to buy a nice basic black belt that will last for at least a decade if not more and not get all stretched out or peel etc.

I figure there are good bridles out there, there have to be good belts.

Also, does anyone care for belts like tack, or just leave them be.

I just threw out another belt that discolored at the edges and looked terrible. Quality these days is awful on so many products.

Thanks!

Hey Martini!

Try here DeHarts Leather and Engraving He has made outstanding belts and dog collars etc for me quite cheaply. They are lasting very well!

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I've usually gotten just a basic Calvin Klein belt. I like the ones that are reversable (so you have a brown and black all in one).

http://www.calvinklein.com/product/i...ductId=4282823

But not sure I would say they would last 10 years....
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Based on the quality of their halters, I would recommend the Quillin belts. I have also had good luck with my Tory belts, they are nice quality leather, reasonably priced and seem to last forever.

I have a Carhart basic black belt that I have worn every day for a year over jeans, breeches, and everything in between. No peeling, cracking, or stretching.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Anything and everything made by Brighton..

http://www.brighton.com/themes/?id=new&type=A

LOVE them!!

Good luck,

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I love my brighton belts also, but they simply do not hold up the same way (leather bleeds onto breeches when wet, front and back pieces of leather separate with hard wear). I usually assume my Brighton belts are good for 2-3 years. There is a reason I buy (on ebay) multiples of my favorites.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Liking my Tory belt from Dover. Also, I have a basic brown belt I got at Target of all places. and made in the USA!!! can't seem to find anymore though...

I love my Ariat belt- It works with breeches and belts really well! Ive used it for 2+ years... similar to this one, but on mine the buckle is a stirrup iron... http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/A...purBuckle.html

Land of the Maple Leaf & Tim Horton's Coffee

Thumbs up Freedmans

Freedmans Harness Shop - belts
    http://www.freedmanharness.com/catal...yle/belts/all/

Elegant, equestrian leather belts, (and much more... ) located in Kentucky. They used to be in Toronto - I remember seeing their leatherworks on display at the Royal Winter Fair, and they were really really beautiful. Simple, classic, timeless - no bling.

For leather care, on their site they recommend Oakwood.
    “Your appearance should reflect the care you take in every aspect of your horsemanship... feeding, grooming... everything you do, from the barn to the show ring. Class, people, class…" George Morris

Mine is from Bartville. Gorgeous leather, even stitching, durable buckle.

I am sure Quillin makes a lovely one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Anything and everything made by Brighton..

http://www.brighton.com/themes/?id=new&type=A

LOVE them!!

Good luck,

~Emily
    Ditto this and my Brighton belts last forever. My black one which is reversible is 8 years old and I qear it with breeches, jeans and anything else.

Personally, I like a little bling with breeches
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Ok, a little pricey, but my absolute favorite black belt I picked up at Bergdorf's It's gorgeous, the Italian leather will last forever, and I can wear it riding, out, whatever. A friend also picked a gorgeous brown belt up at another department store, I forget from which one, but the point of the story is try to shop outside the tack store and you might find just what you are looking for The worst part about 'cheap belts' is that they are still $50, which is not exactly cheap IMO.

I've had my Coach belt (bought at the outlet store) for going on 20 years and it still looks great! Very classy looking and just a nice basic good quality belt. Should last another 20.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert