The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Finding a Pony Sized Bit

I am looking for a bit for one of my horses who has a tiny mouth. He is right at 15 hands and needs a 4 1/2 inch bit. Everything that I have just hangs out of his mouth.

Anyway, what I was looking for was a Myler Eggbutt w/Hooks in an 02 or 04 (snaffle) mouthpiece. I can have one custom made for $$$, but wanted to see if COTH had any suggestions. I have never shopped for pony gear before!

So, what are some of your favorite places to shop for pony bits?

Thanks in advance!

justforponies.com

or go straight to the source and ask if they make that bit. I looked around Tolkat's site and it doesn't look like they make what you're looking for in a 4.5". The closest I saw was a Dee with hooks, level 2 mullen barrel. (I could have browsed over, I looked quickly)

Are you sure a 4.75" won't work? My 14.2 TB pony with a very petite head (wears small pony nosebands) takes a 4.5" in Happy Mouth, but has a 4.75" in his HS and Myler bits (though they are loose rings). Just a thought!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    justforponies.com

or go straight to the source and ask if they make that bit. I looked around Tolkat's site and it doesn't look like they make what you're looking for in a 4.5". The closest I saw was a Dee with hooks, level 2 mullen barrel. (I could have browsed over, I looked quickly)

Are you sure a 4.75" won't work? My 14.2 TB pony with a very petite head (wears small pony nosebands) takes a 4.5" in Happy Mouth, but has a 4.75" in his HS and Myler bits (though they are loose rings). Just a thought!
    Thanks for the reply! I did call Myler and can have the bit made for around $140.00, but don't want to be stuck with a custom bit that doesn't fit anyone else if he doesn't like it.

Maybe I could get away with a 4 3/4, but the 5 inch I have tried on him is still huge. Poor little guy is a 14.3 TB with an unbelievably small muzzle.

I will check out justforponies.com also.

You can rent Myler bits from this outfit:
    http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/tack/bits/mylerbits.html

They have 4 3/4 sizes, which might be close enough for a rental. You could decide from there whether you need to custom order a 4.5".