The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Mystic Connection TB

Anyone know anything about this horse? On top he's from a line of purpose bred for sport stallions, and pedigreequery had him with one foal and an owner's telephone number. On the bottom he's out of a Babamist mare.

A Google search shows a TB gelding named Mystic Connection sold in 2005 at the Frying Pan sale for 10k. Right Age. If he were still a stallion he'd definitely be one to consider. Cormac and Blue Murmur on top.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Anyone know anything about this horse? On top he's from a line of purpose bred for sport stallions, and pedigreequery had him with one foal and an owner's telephone number. On the bottom he's out of a Babamist mare.

A Google search shows a TB gelding named Mystic Connection sold in 2005 at the Frying Pan sale for 10k. Right Age. If he were still a stallion he'd definitely be one to consider. Cormac and Blue Murmur on top.
    I believe this gelding was bred and owned by Alain Seheut (who now stands Soprano). For a long time Alain and Gayle were keeping Mystic Connection (whom we called Hey You) as a stallion. Alain promoted him as an eventing stallion. He was well bred for the job, both top and bottom. As I recall, he is by Machison Sword (sp?) out of Mystic High (a mare that Bruce Davidson rode at Badminton). Alain had leased Mystic High from Mary Hazard.

We met Alain at a High Point Hanoverian Inspection back on August 11, 2000, when he presented Mystic High to the AHS. (She was then 21 years old and had Mystic Connection at her side). On that day the AHS turned her down. We had the impression that the Hanoverian Inspectors did not recognize Mystic High and simply went on the aged mare they saw in front of them. Alain was pretty upset as he walked out of the ring. One of the committee approached him a few minutes later, at that point Alain had the flyer of Mystic High, with the photo of her at Badmington with Bruce Davidson. They suggested that he re-present Mystic High. Alain was still pretty upset. He basically said no, he was not going to beg. If they did not want a mare that had the quality to compete at Badminton, so be it. At the GOV inspection, the GOV approved her, and though her colt - Mystic Connection was not being presented to them. Holly stopped the Inspection to comment on what a nice foal Mystic Connection was. Holly also commented on what an amazing performance career Mystic High had, and that her current condition was a reflection of her age. At the time Mystic High was a bit past her prime, but an amazing mare none-the-less. We still have video of both of these Inspections. (As an aside, I was very impressed with Holly at that point, breeders should value performance careers over the "pretty package." An aged TB mare can really look it, as breeders we want to see past age.)

Mystic Connection was a nice horse, but tough. We spent quite a bit of time with Alain and Gayle back then, at one point we had Cooldanz with them. We saw quite a bit of Hey You. We were there when Alain backed him. For a time it seemed that Hey You /Mystic Connection hung the moon. When he was about three, Alain told us he was a lock to be approved GOV (some deal where Evelyn had seen the horse and loved him). Next we heard he was gelded and sold in the Frying Pan auction. I hope that who ever now owns Mystic Connection values him... he was beautifully bred, and very loved.
    Last edited by Cartier; Mar. 8, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was bored at work this afternoon (very rare to have down time, so I'll take it!) and I was googling Mystic Connection wondering what happened to him and happened upon this, so thought I might revive the conversation.

My homebred mare Contortionist is the horse vineyridge was referring to that is listed on allbreedpedigree:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=.

Once I decided I wanted to event, my mom bred our registered Dutch, half TB mare to him when he was only three. The broodmare had two other warmblood dressage babies previously and as I was riding two off the track TB-turned eventers at the time it seemed a sensible solution. Some fanciness with enough TB to do cross country!

I was younger and not super involved in the stallion selection at the time, but as I started competing the baby I got a little more intrigued and looked him up. The outcome / timeline that Cartier mentioned makes sense. From his USEA record looks like he was ridden by a junior and then professional up until 2010 and then poof, nothing since. Oddly enough, I was riding in the dressage warm up at The Ark in 2008 doing Novice and noticed a horse that looked just like my mare, Tori. Looked him up in the program later and lo and behold it was Mystic Connection, her dad. Small world!

Definitely find it interesting that Cartier mentioned he was "tough." My mare calculatedly mean horse on the ground - unlike any of her siblings and absolutely a "nature" not "nuture" set of habits. Pins her ears if you look at her wrong, threatens to (an will) bite if you brush just the wrong spot, cannot be led around at a show or get on a trailer without a chifney and will strike violently if you put a chain over her nose. If I had a dollar for every time my dad threatened to take her to an auction because of her antics... I wonder if these "tendencies" were apparent in Mystic Connection and ultimately led to his gelding and subsequent sale.

But for all of the hoops we jump through with her on the ground, she's awesome undersaddle - zero nerves, completely independent, and loves her job. She's a successful training event horse, with the ability to go prelim but my crazy work hours don't leave enough daylight for prelim-level fitness work.

I think they look kinda similar - my mare is in the top two pictures from the Waredaca Training Three Day in 2010:
    http://216.38.62.109/competitions.ph...lassic&id=2581

And Mystic Connection at a Training HT:
    http://www.hoofclix.com/Full-Gallop-...vXFWw&lb=1&s=A

Anyone know where he ended up? Career change?

1 members found this post helpful.

Boy this brings back memories… I think you should contact Alain and Gayle. As I said in the post above from years ago, there was a time when Alain felt that Mystic Connection “hung the moon.” He loved the horse. I remember back in 2003 that he thought it was crazy that we were breeding to Contango instead of Mystic Connection. (as an aside, our resulting Contango foal was the black and white pinto we named Commander, who matured to be the stallion we later sold to England, who we have the photo with jumping 1.55m with Alex Hua Tian. There are many photos of Commander on our website at www.logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com). I remember Alain trying to get one of boarders at our barn in Monkton who had an ISF Counsel daughter to breed her to Mystic Connection.

We have long since parted company with Alain, but I can say this, at one point in time he adored Mystic Connection. As a breeder, we love being updated on our “babies.” I can’t believe that Alain would not love to know about Mystic Connection’s offspring.

2 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Mystic Connection's sire, Macsen's Sword, was also the sire of Bruce Davidson's homebred Amber Lust, who was the sire of Jam or Rock on Rose, I forget which. Probably Rock on Rose. Amber's Lust was also gelded and sold.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I believe Rock on Rose was sired by Lusty. Jam is by a stallion named Snar... If I'm recalling correctly.
    -Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by AppJumpr08 View Post
    I believe Rock on Rose was sired by Lusty. Jam is by a stallion named Snar... If I'm recalling correctly.

I think that is correct. Snar was a cool boy....died too soon. Rock on Rose was out of Dorada (by Sir Wimborne) by Amber's Lust.

I've known a couple of Macsens Sword offspring. Often really really pretty and a very nice type. I don't remember them being mean. One had bad KS that made her dangerous undersaddle but she was sweet on the ground.

I would suspect that streak is coming more for the bottom of his pedigree.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Default Mystic Connection Update!!!

Hi everyone!!! This is so crazy. My name is Elle Gahagan I bought Mystic Connection (Teddy) when he was 5, so in 2005. I had no clue he was ever a stallion and it is so crazy to see that he has babies!!!!! He has the BEST personality but was a lot of horse especially because I was 12 at the time. I still have him, he is currently at my grandmas farm in Delaware. I would love to hear about his baby/babies??? And see some pictures!!! Please please let me know if you have one of them! I attached a photo. If anyone has contact info for his original owners in would love to get in touch with them!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Alain Seheut bred and owned Mystic Connection. We used to call him "Hey You" when he was very young (the horse, not Alain, I have no idea what Alain was called as a youngster ). Mystic Connection was sired by Macsen's Sword out of an incredible mare whom Bruce Davidson competed at Badmington (and at this moment I completely forget her name, but she was exceptional). Alain and Gayle will know all of this and so much more. Mystic Connection was loved and very highly regarded, from the moment he was born. I remember when Alain and Gayle were just starting him under saddle. We lost touch with Alain and Gayle years ago, and were surprised to hear that Mystic Connection had been sold. (Sort of like, we were surprised to hear that Romantic Star had been sold, when we saw him with the people in Virginia, you'd have thought they'd sooner sell their right arm than the horse).

As a breeder I can tell you that we love hearing about our "kids" as they go through life. Alain posts here as Olde Country Farm which is located north of Baltimore in a town called Butler (as I recall). It is near Monkton, MD. Alain stands the popular Sandro Hit son Soprano. I'll bet he and Gayle will be trilled to hear from you. He had some fairly recent posts and photos about his success at Devon this year with Soprano kids. Here is the contact information:

Alain Seheut
    Olde Country Farm
    www.oldecountryfarm.com
    Last edited by Cartier; Nov. 16, 2013 at 07:24 AM.

Mystic High... his dam's name was Mystic High... incredible mare. I believe that she was sired by Babamist. I recall that Alain had leased Mystic High from Mary Hazard (or whatever her name is, she is a partner of Bruce Davidson). Mary might have lots of first hand information about the horses in the pedigree that you will probably not find in Google or some other database. And I now see that I had already posted this years ago, up above.
    Last edited by Cartier; Nov. 16, 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Here's Mary Hazzard's website: http://www.lanefieldfarm.com/mysticreplica.htm