The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I order Durasole six bottles at a time! One of the most important products I use for my horses. Maybe next to their feed and hay! I am not that methodical about it... if the feet seem soft or it is wet or about to get wet, I use it. Wear gloves and use the wire end of one of those hoofpicks with the brush on one end. Brush it in gently, especially along the white line, and be sure to not let any particles backfire into your eyes!

Follow that up with a turpentine-based concoction my farrier invented, which I paint along the bottom of the outside of the hoof.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by Miichelle View Post
    . . .Six times daily?. . .
    No need to space out the application over an entire day. I typically do 3 applications in about 10 minutes. Once it has been absorbed and the foot is dry you can immediately begin the next application. Warming the sole with a heat gun and then applying Durasol while the foot is still warm speeds up the process considerably.

It would not be difficult to do 6 applications in half an hour because by the time you get all the way around the horse the first foot you treated is already dry and ready for the next application.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    No need to space out the application over an entire day. I typically do 3 applications in about 10 minutes. Once it has been absorbed and the foot is dry you can immediately begin the next application. Warming the sole with a heat gun and then applying Durasol while the foot is still warm speeds up the process considerably.

It would not be difficult to do 6 applications in half an hour because by the time you get all the way around the horse the first foot you treated is already dry and ready for the next application.
    Ok. THAT is do-able! I was thinking that it had to be applied like medication, spaced through out the day! Thanks!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I order Durasole six bottles at a time!
    where do you order from? i looked up the "where to buy" link on the website but none of the Oregon locations are close to me. are there any online distributors?

Valley Vet is a good place to get Durasole online. I have asked Smartpak twice to carry it!
    friend of bar.ka

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...7-7804794aa26f

Due to free shipping on 2 or more bottles they have the best deal on small quantities.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...7-7804794aa26f

Due to free shipping on 2 or more bottles they have the best deal on small quantities.
    How do you get the free shipping? I put 3 bottles in my cart, but it showed a fee of $7.00 for a total under $60.00 as well as a note stating I needed to add an additional $24.15 for free shipping.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

oh good to know. thank you for the link. i want to try this on my TB who is ouchy on any hard uneven (read gravel/rocky) surfaces but fine on soft (arena/grass) ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    How do you get the free shipping? I put 3 bottles in my cart, but it showed a fee of $7.00 for a total under $60.00 as well as a note stating I needed to add an additional $24.15 for free shipping.
    Seems they ended that deal recently.

I was wondering how they could do free shipping at a profit as my wholesale cost is about $9.00 /bottle or $227.00 for a case of 25 bottles.

Yes, what is it with the tiny bottles? I need the gallon size. I order 5 or 6 bottles at a time from Jeffers and get free shipping. But really, with a 4 white hoofed horse (size 3 shoe in front, size 2 shoe on hinds) and his tiny hoofed mare who has good hooves (size 0 shoes all around), it takes a lot of durasole to keep them in good shape with all the rain we've been having for months now.

I do like the product. I prefer crossapol as it can be used on hoof walls and soles as well, but it's far more expensive. So unless Cloudy has a relapse of hoof wall shelling, I'll keep buying the durasole. But I want a clear durasole (crossapol is clear and easy to see where it is applied as it is shiny.) Purple hands and nails for me, polka dot purple stockings for Cloudy.

Oh wait, is that case price good for Cothers?

Or, if you have a heat gun, you can apply, then use the heat gun to dry, then apply, then dry, then apply, then dry....etc until you get to 6

I don't have a heat gun, but I will often apply before I groom the horse, then half way through, then before I put the bridle on, and then a couple times again during untacking.

You can use a hair dryer. Our old farrier used to dry the pour in pads with a hair dryer.

I don't follow the protocol exactly. but I still get good results by just picking out the hoof, brushing the sole and frog to clean it, and applying the durasole. Then I use the brush on the hoof pick to brush it into the sole. Thus getting those splatters of purple on horse socks and on me. (Horses are stalled and thus have dry hooves to start with.)

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Or, if you have a heat gun, you can apply, then use the heat gun to dry, then apply, then dry, then apply, then dry....etc until you get to 6
    Do not use the heat gun/hair dryer to dry the durasole. You want it to soak in, not evaporate. The idea is to get the surface of the foot warm BEFORE you apply it so that the Durasole penetrates and crosslinks more quickly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Oh wait, is that case price good for Cothers?
    That is what I paid for the last case I bought direct from the distributor - including shipping. Cost of shipping (UPS) varies by distance. YMMV

800-936-3636

Do not use the heat gun/hair dryer to dry the durasole. You want it to soak in, not evaporate. The idea is to get the surface of the foot warm BEFORE you apply it so that the Durasole penetrates and crosslinks more quickly.
    Huh. Okay, apologies for the miss. Could have sworn Stovall himself recommended the heat gun method at one point, either here or eons ago over in rec.eq.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Huh. Okay, apologies for the miss. Could have sworn Stovall himself recommended the heat gun method at one point, either here or eons ago over in rec.eq.
    Here are his exact words with my bold for emphasis:

" Use a hair dryer, heat gun, or similar tool to completely dry the frog and sole, apply Durasole while the solar surface is still warm and disperse with a brush (old toothbrush) until the sole is uniformly discolored, the solar surface of the hoof is fully saturated and product begins to pool instead of being absorbed."

Heat the foot before application.

If you blow hot air on wet Durasole you are going to make it evaporate AND THAT MEANS YOU ARE PUTTING MOST OF IT INTO THE AIR AND YOU MAY PASS OUT FROM THE FUMES.

Thanks Tom. I'll see if I can get the discount for the case. If not, I'll ask my farrier to get my horses a case. Although he keeps telling me to quit using it as it makes their soles so hard. He might not order it for me.

I don't dry my horses hooves with hairdryer or anything. since they are in at night all winter, and out at night all summer, their hooves are dry when I put their durasole on them. Just recommended the hair dryer as old farrier used to use it to harden the pour in pads in winter.....when we used to have winter down here.

While I am sure that the product is far more effective if you follow the protocol for applying it, I can say that is is very good with my method which skips a lot of the hard work. Hard soles and frogs, even noticed by farrier. It works. And I don't turn my horses out right away in the wet pasture with all the rain we're having. I let the horses stand in cross ties or stalls for a while before I turn them out.