The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    137

    Default Spinoff from Microchipping Thread

    Who do you use (if any) to monitor your horse(s)'s microchip in case of theft? Pros and cons? Thanks!
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 1999
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaffle81 View Post
    Who do you use (if any) to monitor your horse(s)'s microchip in case of theft? Pros and cons? Thanks!
    Not sure what you mean by monitor...?



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Not sure what you mean by monitor...?
    Ditto. Microchips are not GPS chips....if your horse is stolen, you're not going to be able to see a little dot moving around in Google maps..



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 16, 2003
    Location
    Guthrie, OK
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    All mine are chipped. If for no other reason than if found they can be scanned and definitively identified.

    When equine slaughter was still going on in the US all horses had to be scanned and any found to be chipped had to be held until it could be confirmed the horse was not stolen, etc.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Not sure what you mean by monitor...?
    Ditto. Microchips are not GPS chips....if your horse is stolen, you're not going to be able to see a little dot moving around in Google maps..
    I realize they're not GPS... I'm thinking of something similar to 24petwatch or HomeAgain. Something that if your horse is stolen, you contact them, and they notify vets, auctions, etc...
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snaffle81 View Post
    I realize they're not GPS... I'm thinking of something similar to 24petwatch or HomeAgain. Something that if your horse is stolen, you contact them, and they notify vets, auctions, etc...
    Well, for that you will just have to go to the different websites and see exactly what they offer for services. I'm not sure that any of them will actually go so far as to notify vets or auctions....they would assume that you, as the owner, would be doing that. I think most just post a notice on their website, as well as obviously being helpful if the microchip is found by someone.


    ETA: Yup, checked the 24PetWatch site. They will post a note to their website and check their own database of reported found pets, but that's it. No calling vets/shelters/etc. Rightfully so, that's on you as the owner.

    You may want to check into insurance. I don't think I've ever seen it in the horse world, but most cat/dog insurance plans have the option of coming with a "pet recovery" stipend. Usually around $250 to offer as a reward/use to pay for lost pet ads or posters/etc.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    I knew of a horse with a chip that was stolen. Thieves whacked his neck with a baseball bat several times to disable the chip. Just lovely.

    The more you do to thwart criminals the more inventive they get to win.

    My brother owned a horse whose chip either could not be read or malfunctioned TWICE during the time they owned it, requiring it to have two more inserted. Yuck.

    Even if that horse was never stolen what they went through for their chip was just as bad.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 3, 2010
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Well, for that you will just have to go to the different websites and see exactly what they offer for services. I'm not sure that any of them will actually go so far as to notify vets or auctions....they would assume that you, as the owner, would be doing that. I think most just post a notice on their website, as well as obviously being helpful if the microchip is found by someone.


    ETA: Yup, checked the 24PetWatch site. They will post a note to their website and check their own database of reported found pets, but that's it. No calling vets/shelters/etc. Rightfully so, that's on you as the owner.

    You may want to check into insurance. I don't think I've ever seen it in the horse world, but most cat/dog insurance plans have the option of coming with a "pet recovery" stipend. Usually around $250 to offer as a reward/use to pay for lost pet ads or posters/etc.
    I personally use HomeAgain and they will fax lost poster printouts of my pet. I also get email alerts for any lost pet in whatever zip code I want. But these companies have told me they don't provide the service to equine owners... and I couldn't find one that does. That's why I came here to see if there was a company just not marketed well.

    I realize as the owner I have responsibilities, but some customers (including myself) want a service to help them in during a distressing time. For me that service is help finding my animal. Also I have insurance... but money doesn't heal the heart.
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse



Similar Threads

  1. Microchipping
    By PSD in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
  2. Microchipping - which company?
    By dressagediosa in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2011, 01:32 PM
  3. Microchipping
    By BansheeBreeze in forum Off Course
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Apr. 4, 2011, 01:54 AM
  4. Thoughts on Microchipping?
    By meupatdoes in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Mar. 14, 2009, 06:17 PM
  5. Microchipping - what companies are best?
    By 5chestnuts in forum Off Course
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec. 20, 2008, 01:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness