The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunt Coat Tailor

I am looking for recommendations for places/people that will make a hunt coat for me. I have found fabric I really like, but am having trouble finding someone to make the coat. Would prefer someone in the OK area, as I do have someone who could make it in TN, but that is just so far away.

It might be a good idea to purchase one of the hunt coat patterns you can get online, bring it to someone who is used to doing suiting and then get them to make it and tailor it to your body. A regular seamstress/tailor would probably be a lot easier to find than an "equestrian" tailor!

Here are some patterns:
    Suitability

There are some photos on the site of finished products.

Out of curiousity, what does your fabric look like?
    a horseless canuck...

Find a mens tailor. A well made huntcoat needs attention to detail and is fairly complicated. It most resembles a mens sportcoat so go to a good mens tailor.

Quote Originally Posted by ifiwereyou View Post
    It might be a good idea to purchase one of the hunt coat patterns you can get online, bring it to someone who is used to doing suiting and then get them to make it and tailor it to your body. A regular seamstress/tailor would probably be a lot easier to find than an "equestrian" tailor!

Here are some patterns:
    Suitability

There are some photos on the site of finished products.

Out of curiousity, what does your fabric look like?
    I haven't actually purchased the fabric yet. I am hesitant to purchase it since I haven't found anyone to make it yet. But the fabric I am looking at is more formal, black & navy- small squares with faint stiching in the squares (navy stitching). Subtle but pretty.

I will have to check those patterns out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Good 2 View Post
    Find a mens tailor. A well made huntcoat needs attention to detail and is fairly complicated. It most resembles a mens sportcoat so go to a good mens tailor.

That is what I have been trying to do. I have found one, but he is super super expensive, in fact won't even give me an estimate yet. I know people who have used him for suits and know he is really expensive for those.

The other two men's tailors I have contacted won't help me out...only do men's jackets.

My next stop is to contact some of the shops that sell/rent/make the tux for weddings.