The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle pads with extra forward cut for the extra forward saddle?

My regular square saddle pads don't appear to fit well with my new saddle.

I thought you eventers might have a suggestion on where to get saddle pads that are cut for a forward flap saddle?

BOB sells custom saddle pads in a cross country cut. You get to pick the colors! A little pricey, but they are nice pads. Also, the PRI brand pads seem to work well under mine. AND I saw Dover has introduced a longer version of their All Purpose Riders saddle pad that is very reasonably priced. FWIW their regular contour pads (meaning shaped spine) seem to fit fairly well under my forward flap saddle, but it's also only a 16.5". Ah yes, and also the Equine Classics makes a jump pad, super nice pads, but hard to find locally here. They have velcro girth loops which are fabtastic! And they are also fairly reasonably priced!
    Last edited by kkindley; Mar. 7, 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added info

I'll be interested to see the answers.

I use dressage pads under mine.

Toklat has a whole bunch of different cuts, too--you need to go to their site and look at them; they are rarely for sale in tack stores.
    Click here before you buy.

This is what I did. They have a nce selection but you have to order them.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Toklat has a whole bunch of different cuts, too--you need to go to their site and look at them; they are rarely for sale in tack stores.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Not much in the way of color choices, but you can't beat the price on these...

http://www.horseloverz.com/Classic-E...pr-240197.html

PS. Don't order without a coupon code, there's tons online.

Wow!
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. I just hope it will fit my BdH forward flap...this way I can keep my Griffin Nuumed pad for special occasions!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I have a Barnsby Diablo, which has a really forward flap, and have been using the PRI pads - they fit perfectly, and have been really durable. And if you look around, you can find them in a zillion color combos...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

^Second that. I also have a Diablo and my PRI pad fits and looks great. Only complaint is that it faded REALLY fast from just washing it (it's a navy pad that I only use at shows). The TuffRider AP quilted pads also work really well as schooling pads.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Seconding Toklat - and you can get them through BoB. They last forever (I have one that's still going strong after 10 years). Is the problem with your pads that the pads themselves aren't forward enough, or that if you put them where they need to be the billet loops aren't long enough? I hate saddle pads extending much beyond the saddle, so although I have a very forward flap, my Toklat a/p pads work great now that I retrofit the billet loops with short loops of grosgrain so they'll reach the billets...

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    Wow!
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered one. I just hope it will fit my BdH forward flap...this way I can keep my Griffin Nuumed pad for special occasions!
    I think mine even fit under my trainer's ridiculous Courbette Vision extra-forward, so I imagine it would work for anything!

I second (or third) the Classic Equine pads. I have a super forward monoflap and they are the best ones that I have found. The PRI's are just a little too short in length for me. VTO carries the Classic Equines as well. I go with the large and they are perfect! I miss the color choices of PRI but you can't beat the price!
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/SP/CEQSP.htm

Default me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Roney View Post
    I have a Barnsby Diablo, which has a really forward flap, and have been using the PRI pads - they fit perfectly, and have been really durable. And if you look around, you can find them in a zillion color combos...
    I also have the diablo and love the PRI pads. But I also just bought a Pad Perfect pad at the end of the year last year-haven't competed in it yet since my season can't start until june but it fits great too!

Quote Originally Posted by Langfuhr View Post
    I have one in Royal Blue and it is great.

For everyday I use the Toklat xc cut pads. They have held up pretty well to my abuse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **