The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hunter breeding classes

I have a beautiful Cunningham filly that toes out in her right front. Otherwise she is exceptional. How tough will the Devon judges be on something like this? She looks like a yak right now, and I am debating about bringing her in to get ready for showing in hand. I would hate to go to the trouble only to find that the toeing out is a deal breaker.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

ETA- post this in the Sport Horse breeding. A lot of the in hand pros post there.

Toeing out is a conformation flaw ( obviously you knew that).. so if she is against Ms Pefect legs - she won't beat her.

I think if she is nice and good conformation besides toes out, Devon or HB is a great ( but expensive) experience. Does she wing ? ( just curious)

Will it break the bank to send her? How bad is it?

Who would be handling her? A pro? Sometimes they know how to stand them so it is less obvious.

Sometimes, how they do depends on who else is out. Is someone else sickle hocked? Splint? Bog spavin? IF the horse has perfect legs, long back? You know what I mean?
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Default Pennywell Bay

Thanks for all the thoughts. The handler is going to come look at her and help me decide...he knows her and loves her. She is exceptionally beautiful and correct except for this one thing. I don't do breeding classes often....it is so much work and unless I think I have a chance to be the winner, I don't do it. I have wonderful 4 year old that the pro that is riding him is twisting my arm to put in the YHUS at DEvon....that one I am not confused about...he is just an average mover...NOT worth the $$$ of that class!!!
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

I am by no means an expert at the hunter breeding classes, but from what I understand usually they have to be even more flawless conformationally than you would need for a performance conformation horse. But, it also depends on who else shows up.
    It's important though where the toeing out originates. Does it come from the knee? The ankle? The foot and some farrier work could help?

Default CBoylen

She was very narrow and tall as a foal...and knockkneed. Most of that has corrected on its own, but the right knee is where it begins. My farrier did not want to alter it at all as she was so narrow and he felt she would broaden out on her own....and she has, mostly!!!

If it's from the knee I would probably not take her to Devon. But get your handler's opinion, or get her out somewhere before then and see how she takes. And realize when she grows up this is unlikely to ever matter!

Thanks so much for this discussion, it has been very helpful!!!

Can you pick up the foot and place it so it doesn't toe out? I had a pony that won several BYP classes that liked to stand really wide in front. I just picked up one leg and moved it closer to the other and you couldn't tell.

She wont be the winner with a toed out leg but she may place if the rest of the package is there. But if you can hide the flaw it may be worth it.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

I'd probably pass, particulary if she's a sale horse. I'd wait and hope that she widens as she matures and will possibly straighten out.

CBoylen has it right.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

May I ask what her breeding is on the dam side?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Default MCarverS

She is out of a very correct Consul mare, who is out of an incorrect Bold Ruler line mare.