The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Loves Horses

Quote Originally Posted by LovesHorses View Post
    Sending her to the trainer is a great idea, but a month won't get you much. That is barely enough time to get one fit and to start to understand them. That is also assuming the trainer is home the entire time. I would think three months minimum or don't bother. Trainers can't work miracles in 20 rides. Good luck!
    I know. I am not looking for her to solve all the problems, just more direction. I guess I am looking for her expertise in whether to continue as a hunter or bail. She is nice on cross country, I can ride her down the road. She is super athletic.

Actually, the pro who showed her for me before saw this post and was kind enough to email, said something along the lines of, she is super talented and scopey but maybe not a hunter. And this pro can ride.

It is not like I have to get rid of her, I own the farm and she definitely has value in me keeping her as a riding horse and not as a show horse.

Again, like the one pro said - she has so much talent, it is almost sad not to see her go on w/ someone else.....
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I feel your pain. I also have a hot, sensitive mare who is coming 7 this April. I've known her since birth and, while she is gorgeous, I don't know if she'll ever be 'hunter' quiet without chemical intervention. It's a hard call to make since I've been in pharmacy school for the past two years so she's largely had the winters off. But even in consistent work she's only had a ride here or there where I wasn't constantly working to keep her calm and relaxed. I've tried working her 7 days per week, only 2-3 days per week, hacking out, overnight turnout, lungeing, supplements, hormones, massages...you name it.

I figure it will be good for her to pretend to be a hunter and attempt to practice being quiet and calm until I graduate. After that, the Dark Side is calling

Thirty days with a trainer may not be ideal but, in this case??? OP has her well started and is not looking for a Derby Hunter in 30 days, just an honest evaluation of the direction she should be taking. That is a fair amount of time for that trainer to do that particular job as well as, maybe, solve a training issue. Not cure it, just identify it.

It's a pretty realistic sounding poster and I think the trainer is a great way to get to the bottom of this.

If nothing else, trainer may be able to sell her along to somebody better able to deal with her or recommend she just be a pleasure horse. But OP needs a second opinion.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LovesHorses View Post
    Sending her to the trainer is a great idea, but a month won't get you much. That is barely enough time to get one fit and to start to understand them. That is also assuming the trainer is home the entire time. I would think three months minimum or don't bother. Trainers can't work miracles in 20 rides. Good luck!
    I strongly disagree.

My trainer turned my mare around in 5 rides and if I had the budget for a month of full-training, I would come back to a new horse.

It just depends on the quality of training

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I strongly disagree.

My trainer turned my mare around in 5 rides and if I had the budget for a month of full-training, I would come back to a new horse.

It just depends on the quality of training
    I agree. I hired a pro rider (she lives 15 minutes from the barn) to ride my 3.5 y.o. 2 times a week and she is making her progress so much so quickly. Though as GLR said, you have to find the right person for your mare.

Your mare is beautiful. I'm with everyone else, send her to the trainer to be evaluated. Maybe she's the prefect hunter for someone else, maybe she'd be better as a jumper or eventing. Or maybe you want to keep her and just trail ride. Horses don't know or care if their talent is being wasted... but, riding and owning horses should be first and foremost about having fun. If you aren't having fun maybe you should sell her to someone who will have fun with her.

Am I the only one seeing a gelding in the OP's profile picture?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Am I the only one seeing a gelding in the OP's profile picture?
    I moved her pic out due to a discussion about showing in-hand I was having. I'll put her back up ( that is her brother w/ Ray at Warrenton.)

It sounds like you don't take regular lessons? Regular lessons might help you give her a better ride so she goes quieter. You can also consider showing in jumpers for the fun of it. You don't need to be competitive if you don't want to, and if your mare is truly hot she'll have more fun without being worked into the ground to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

The headset issue would not bother me. That is a training issue and can be fixed.

The hotness/nervousness is another story. Once you've had some of the babies that are good citizens, it makes all of that other stuff hard to deal with. I personally am not interested (at all) in owning youngsters that exhibit behavior that you are describing. Some people don't mind it and manage to channel that energy into a brilliant performance. I find that the greenies are plenty of work under the absolute best of circumstances, without mental baggage.

Sometimes it's a matter of deciding what you want to live with. A horse that's frustrating to you might be a dreamboat to someone else in a different program or climate.

To look at her and read what you say about her I'd continue to invest in her. 30-60 days with a good trainer can do amazing things, but it sounds like you are going to have to find a way to ride her more also, is there someone you can pay to put rides on her? Even if it's some basic flat work, on the days you can't get out there? She's adorable, and you already know what you have and need to work with, plus unless you are going to keep her for a trail horse a 6 year old greenie in this economy may be a harder sell than you think. Good luck, I just love the look of her! Sometimes those QH crosses come out with the just the right amount of everything! <3

eta: have you tried depo? Some people swear by it, some say it does nothing. Worth a shot? and opps thats a gelding in your pic, well in any case he is lovely LOL!

Default Update...

So- establishing a regular routine, even if it is a light lunge in tack is helping ( duh-right?), Obviously they all have a program that works best for them. I hav been spoiled w/ the ones who act like they get ridden daily and are calm.

Also- a key factor with her I believe is I have separated her from her herd. She is in a solo field where she can see other horses ( not her herd, they are accross the street and could care less she is gone) but is on solo turn out.

I started this on Friday ( so it could be done while I am at home, just in case) and I saw a difference last night. I only have been lunging and ground driving her ( back to some basics) and she is paying much better attention to ME and not what is going on around.

Hopefully I can link a video at the end of the week.

Just thought I'd update.

I have some other options from a BNT who thinks she is more appropriate as a jumper. We'll see.... Figured I'd start back to some basics and work back up....