The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 3 yr old free jump

For those who look at prospects, what do you expect to see in video? This is my 1st guy we are doing a video with a free jump. For my breed the inspection max free jump height is normally 3'3"-3'6", so that is what I have run him through. I've gotten a couple yeah, but how high can he go I'm not going to do higher with a youngster, but wondering if others normally do more.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Ask them how high their fences are. I bought a Connemara/Arab 3 year old last fall, and he promptly jumped two four foot smooth wire fences so he could join the other two horses. I had been told he was free jumping a blue plastic barrel in his pasture, and I guess the owner wasn't kidding.

Sorry. I know that doesn't help you much, but I didn't stop to think he might jump my fences. Fortunately, he only wanted into another pasture, not out of all pastures. I haven't had problems with him since I let him stay in the pasture he wanted into.

I wouldn't consider your horse if you were free-jumping him higher than that! 3 is a baby, if he's easily clearing that height & with decent style, he obviously has scope so the question is rather absurd ...

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    For my breed the inspection max free jump height is normally 3'3"-3'6", I'm not going to do higher with a youngster, but wondering if others normally do more.
    Here (Europe), at auctions and stallion selection, the 3y/o are free jumping much higher and with no negative consequences.
    I understand that everyone is entitled to his opinion, so I will not argue.
    Different places, different practices.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    Here (Europe), at auctions and stallion selection, the 3y/o are free jumping much higher and with no negative consequences.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    I understand that everyone is entitled to his opinion, so I will not argue.
    Different places, different practices.
    Ok but any horseperson worth their salt should be able to determine scope from watching a 3 yo free jump 3'6". If you can't, perhaps you should not be buying a 3 yo.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Quote Originally Posted by Czar View Post
    Ok but any horseperson worth their salt should be able to determine scope from watching a 3 yo free jump 3'6". If you can't, perhaps you should not be buying a 3 yo.
    Bingo! If a 3 yo can use him self well enough to get over 3'6'' that is plenty for me! I would prefer not to see him go any higher as a 3 yo and I don't want to see him over faced.

I still have to defer to the Europeans. They've been doing this a long time, really well. If its good enough for them, its good enough for me.

I would say, thou, if I am buying a hunter prospect, I'm good at stopping at 3'6". If I'm looking to buy a grand prix horse, I'd maybe like to see little more. It think it speaks to heart and character and bravery.

Obviously, I am also assuming this is not the first time through the jump chute. I am speaking of horses who have been trained with patience through the chute, with knowledgeable handlers with appropriate distances for the horse.

Well...this sounds like a story where the snake is eating his tail....

I am from Europe and now live in the US, so I can safely say I have a good feeling of the difference between the two continents...and you know what...? There is no such difference!!

The stallion tests in the US, for the warmbloods (not talking arabians or saddlehorse/QH), are imported from Europe and almost identical!! If you contact them (eg. ISR) you will be told they are expecting your 3/4 yo stallion to jump at least 3'6, and that if the judges AND yourself feel it like a good idea, higher.

Regarding the argument whether or not it is necessary to jump higher, here comes the snake...
    If the horse struggles to jump 3'6, you know he is not a formidable jumper, and you shall not raise the jump!!
    If the horse jumps 3' above 3'6, you can raise the jump, this will NOT affect his health since he already jumps above that.

In short:
    - if he is good, he is good and can safely jump higher...
    - if he is poor, he is poor and cannot safely jump higher...
    - if he is poor and you make him jump higher, shoot yourself!

Obviously, all 3 yo stallions are not ready for inspection. Give him time.

We free jumped one of our mares as a 3 year old up to 3'6"... that was plenty for us to see what she was made of.

We tend to free jump our horses as yearlings (very small), and then again as 3 year olds. We take notes of their strength and weaknesses and have thus far found them to hold true even once they have begun jumping under saddle. It has proven in most cases to be a very useful evaluation tool. They'll tell you how high they are wiling/able to go. The ones that figure it out quickly and are confident will go up to 3'6", the ones that need a bit more time to figure it out will stay low and build their confidence slowly until they are ready to show us what they are made of.

Ahsianita Free Jumping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0A7ZT-wZJM
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Florent View Post
    The stallion tests in the US, for the warmbloods (not talking arabians or saddlehorse/QH), are imported from Europe and almost identical!! If you contact them (eg. ISR) you will be told they are expecting your 3/4 yo stallion to jump at least 3'6, and that if the judges AND yourself feel it like a good idea, higher.
    At what point do you call it high enough?

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    At what point do you call it high enough?
    Your horse will tell you, just listen to him.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

I was hoping for something a little more statistical.

Personally speaking, height is not the answer.

When I am looking at a 3yo I am looking at the basics, how athletic they are, how quickly they put things together, and how they feel about the whole process.

If a prospect jumps 2' well, knee's above the vertical, square, thinks about where the power source is, figures out distances, hits a lick and keeps it, they I am going to be interested.

The issue with free jumping height is that it does not always translate to a backed horse.

In my opinion the only way to test scope is in the saddle, with continued test to see when their scope starts to diminish, and this is well beyond where a three year old should be.

This is not the rule, but most of the best jumpers I have ever had the experience of being exposed to as 3yo's showed you what they could they could do the first time they jumped anything bigger than a ground pole.