The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yet another Thoroughbred pedigree...

I know that you guys get a lot of these, so thanks a million in advance for your help!

I just purchased this guy to be my next sport horse project, but since I have never gone the Thoroughbred route before, I am not very familiar with their bloodlines.

I really like how he was put together, but the people I bought him from had absolutely no clue on where he came from (they recieved him from a college vet clinic) or even his name (they told me his registered name was something silly that it certainly was not). I looked him up on the jockey club website by his tattoo number and I ended up with a black-type winner bred by Juddmonte Farms who only raced 14 times (2 times stakes starter) and won about 190K. I know this is modest, but I still thought he might have been raced more, or at least placed somewhere better than the field I found him in. I have no clue how he got lost in the shuffle, or why he was at a vet clinic (since they found nothing wrong with him in terms of soundness or even any old issues).

With that being said, I was curious if anyone knows anything about his lines....I'm looking for commentary on possible scope for jumping, mind (its hard to tell this close in, since he has been through so much and is a nervous wreck...I am letting him relax slowly, but I want to make sure that he doesn't have a propensity toward the crazy), and longevity in sport.

Thanks again!
    http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pe...tor=Y&x=54&y=5

Nice bloodlines! And there is a nice pic of him on pedigreequery.com if you look him up..... yummy!

I looked up his race record and his last race was an $80,000 claimer and he placed 2nd. 2 years ago. Ridden by some names like Edgar Prado and Kent Desormeaux. I wonder what happened?

Jennifer

I am not really sure what happened to this poor guy. All I know is that I was quite suprised after looking up his tattoo number.
    I don't want to think something untoward happened to him, but the fact that noone knew who he was or bothered to look up his tattoo before I bought him and got him to my place is strange to me, especially since the Jockey Club is providing this service for free so that this sort of mis-identity does not happen.
    It was brought up that when he was deposited at the clinic the person who put him there said he had a lower branch suspensory strain, but the vet has said that he was sound from the moment he was on the property and that all x-rays are clean.
    Furthermore, even though I am not a thoroughbred breeder and know nothing about bloodlines, I think that it is strange that the first thing they did was geld him at the clinic, without even bothering to look up his tattoo.
    Things are strange in this situation for sure, and even if I cannot get to the bottom of all of this, I am confident that I can give him a good home and hopefully find him a job that he likes as well.

He's super fancy!!! After his down time I bet you're going to have a fantastic horse!!

Handsome!
    And a "who's who" of names you'd like to see in a jumper/sport horse pedigree. Very nice!
    -Jessica

I think this economy has changed the kind of TBs that are being made available for those of us buying OTTBs. I hope that things go very well for you and your new boss.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I do wish we would use microchips in North America instead of Tattoos. The Brits/Irish do it, the Aussies and Kiwis are now doing it instead of brands, and the French and Germans are also moving to it. With microchips, there is no chance of misreading the tattoo or losing it with time. Tattoos are so hard to read and mistakes are often made.

If your guy had been microchipped, he wouldn't have gotten lost.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I do wish we would use microchips in North America instead of Tattoos. The Brits/Irish do it, the Aussies and Kiwis are now doing it instead of brands, and the French and Germans are also moving to it. With microchips, there is no chance of misreading the tattoo or losing it with time. Tattoos are so hard to read and mistakes are often made.

If your guy had been microchipped, he wouldn't have gotten lost.

This is the reason I'm very seriously looking at ordering microchips for anything that leaves my farm, before they go. It's just one more level of identification.
    -Jessica

Furthermore, even though I am not a thoroughbred breeder and know nothing about bloodlines, I think that it is strange that the first thing they did was geld him at the clinic, without even bothering to look up his tattoo.
    If you read his race charts, he ran as a gelding, so he was gelded long before that, if I'm understanding your account of his history correctly.

Your horse has excellent bloodlines for sport. The Caro line produces great jumpers (even if they're usually grey!). Damascus, Graustark, Alleged, Buckpasser -- this is all really top-notch.

Good luck and have fun.

Wow, he is a very good looking horse. I bet you will have a lot of fun with him!

Here's a direct link to the pedigree with a picture of him, if anyone wants it:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/trimaran2

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    If you read his race charts, he ran as a gelding, so he was gelded long before that, if I'm understanding your account of his history correctly.
    Thats good to know. I must have missed it on his race chart. When I looked him up at the Jockey Club to change his owner of record into my name, they still had him listed as a stallion for some reason, so I changed that information as well. It must have just not been updated.

Thanks for all the comments. I feel pretty lucky to have found this guy after looking for several months at different tracks up in the midwest. I am very excited to see what he can do in the future!

*Edit*
    After looking at his results on Equibase I don't see where it is on the report where it says gender for all horses running, only for the winner. The last time he won on October 3, 2008 it listed him as a horse, whereas in the Jefferson Cup, the winner was listed as a Gelding. Again, I don't know much about reading these charts and could just be wrong, but I am curious for my future knowledge. The Gelding distinction on the first page of the lookup only changed after the Jockey Club was notified that he was Gelded. My information that he was gelded at the clinic was from the person I purchased him from, but then again they told me that his name was Frank Sinatra. (Thankfully, his tattoo is very clear and several different people have read the same number, blinded to what the others have read. He also looks exactly the same as the picture linked above, except he has lightened up quite a bit and has a ton of hair from standing in a pasture in Iowa).
    Thanks again for the info guys!
    Last edited by Stoney447; Mar. 6, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more information and question.

The 2007 maiden race he won listed him as gelding. But I suppose it could have been a mistake, and I didn't look at the other wins.
    Edited to add that the 7/18/08 win also lists him as a gelding.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney447 View Post
    I know that you guys get a lot of these...
    Each and everyone is special. And what a story your boy has! His name is pretty cool...are you keeping it? Does he have a barn name yet? Best wishes for you and your new horse!

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    The 2007 maiden race he won listed him as gelding. But I suppose it could have been a mistake, and I didn't look at the other wins.
    Edited to add that the 7/18/08 win also lists him as a gelding.
    Yep, I went back and looked through them all again and most of them say Gelding and only that one says horse. I guess maybe the people who I got him from who said his name was Frank Sinatra got their horses mixed up! Thanks for checking again and sorry that I confused myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Each and everyone is special. And what a story your boy has! His name is pretty cool...are you keeping it? Does he have a barn name yet? Best wishes for you and your new horse!
    Thanks! When I thought he was Frank Sinatra, I was looking for other names....no offense to any Frankie fans...but no. I do really like Trimaran though, so I am going to keep his name for showing.

As for barn names, I like to experiment until I find something that fits their personalities. He has been such a wreck these past two days, that I dont want to base his barn name off of how he is acting right now, so hopefully he will relax and I can come up with something not so embarassing for him, altho my other horses will attest that my barn names are usually goofy.

My boyfriend calls him Pancakes, and refuses to call him anything else, saying he has always wanted a horse named Pancakes....so I guess we will see if that sticks....altho I don't think I can see myself riding around going "Goodboy Pancakes! Thats the way to do it."

I like the nickname "Pan". You got a beauty, he's a lucky boy that you found him, it seems when horses start in a downward spiral it ends bad.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Caro does throw a good line of athletic horses but he can also throw his temperament. He wasn't the easiest horse from what I've read and heard as I had a gelding that was 2nd gen Caro and the temperament was definitely passed down. But the Dam's side will of course have influence too.

A very athletic pedigree for sporthorses. For potential towards difficult temperment...on the dam side Turn To can throw some tough horses though Sir Gaylord is one of the sons most often seen in sporthorse pedigrees so I would not worry about that one so much. Hoist The Flag can also sire some tough ones.

He is HANDSOME!