The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Santa Anita Handicap?!!

Surprised not to see anything here yet. So what does everyone thing? Did Twirling Candy get beat due to the distance? Being bumped around like a ping-pong ball at the top of the stretch? Or was he over-rated to begin with?

He had a horrible trip in many was so it's hard to judge his ability over the distance. That was one rough race -like watching billiard balls bounce around. Kudos to Game on Dude and Setsuko for their great efforts. I can see split opinion on the inquiry but it would have been more 50-50 perhaps if the jockey had been male.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Replay here: 74th Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap

A bit of a crazy race, but I'm not going to second guess the stewards lengthy decision.

This marks the first time in the races 74-years that a female jockey took the victory. I had to settle for watching the replay on line so the boos weren't heard but it was purportedly quite ugly.

Great quotes in regards to the boos:

When Baffert headed to the interview room, fans hanging over the tunnel yelled profanities and called him a crook.

"I've been to Belmont," Baffert said later. "This was nothing."
    From the DRF
    “The last time I heard that much booing was when Arnold Schwarzenegger was at Hollywood Park,“ said winning trainer Bob Baffert, referring to the former California governor’s trip to the races in November 2009.
    From ESPN:
    The decision was met with a chorus of boos from the ontrack crowd, a reaction that surprised Sutherland, 35. The victory was her fourth win of the meeting.

"I've never heard anyone boo me, not even in New York," she said.

From the LA Times:

Saturday's attendance was 524 fewer than last year's 23,829. In 1985, the height of horse racing popularity, attendance for Big 'Cap day was 85,827.
    Maybe if they truly made it a handicap race? Look at the weights - just 1 horse with over 120-lbs assigned - come on man, that's pathetic!

Setsuko came out of the race with a cut and a lot of swelling on his left front leg. And I am so glad to see someone call Baffert on some of his antics:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...eg-injury.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Replay here: 74th Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap

A bit of a crazy race, but I'm not going to second guess the stewards lengthy decision.

This marks the first time in the races 74-years that a female jockey took the victory. I had to settle for watching the replay on line so the boos weren't heard but it was purportedly quite ugly.

Great quotes in regards to the boos:

From the DRF

From ESPN:

From the LA Times:

Maybe if they truly made it a handicap race? Look at the weights - just 1 horse with over 120-lbs assigned - come on man, that's pathetic!
    The purpose of a handicap race is not to solely pile weight onto a horse for the sake of doing so. It's purpose is to equalize a field of variously talented horses by using weight and an 8 pound spread is pretty huge nowadays. If anything needs to be blamed, then the graded stakes system is probably the most responsible for the lack of "true" handicap racing and the huge weight spreads from years past.

Just another reason to disband the grades stakes system, which is my opinion has done more long term harm to racing than any medication.

So what did Baffert say?

Poor Twirling Candy, no wonder he chucked it in after getting bounced around like a ping pong ball. And a rough check earlier as well.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by On the Farm View Post
    The purpose of a handicap race is not to solely pile weight onto a horse for the sake of doing so.
    Trust me I understand what handicapping is and the purpose for it. That said Chantal only got the mount because PVal and Corey Nakatani couldn't make weight of that low.

California has for whatever reason assigned stupid low weights - which puts more pressure on jocks - in a desire for speed. When Twirling Candy went off in the Strub Stakes last month he toted 123lbs. That is silly considering he had been putting in the lightening fast times as of late.

They didn't give him 126-lbs (as they should've) only because of one reason: more weight makes the owner/trainer balk and without the horse you have less money wagered. Pure and simple.

Everyone was agape when TC broke Spectacular Bid's time in the Malibu Stakes yet they failed to state he toted 8-lbs less at 118-lbs. Of course any idiot can see the math that giving a horse a huge break like that will boost times.

All the So. California big graded races are carrying silly lower and lower weights. Does that mean today's horses aren't capable of running with 126-lbs? That is the standard measure for the classic distance pure and simple for freaking 3-yr old let alone Twirling Candy at 4-yrs old and holding that track's record for the distance.

If all things are equal and the spread is still the same between the lowest handicap horse and highest shouldn't they be able to run with the same typical weights seen in 1980? I do think for a handicap race it is a sad state of affairs to suggest we need to get lower just to satisfy owners and trainers and coax them to run their horse.

From four years ago regarding the same race: Chronicle Race Forum quote.