The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ladies no-chafe underwear

Has anyone had any experience with these "Jelly Pantz"? http://www.jellypantz.com/the-high-tech-starter-kit-9

Are there any other anti-chafing/anti-bruising/anti-hurt-like-heck-down-there underwear to consider?

Thanks for any input!

I've had a ton of luck with the aerie (american eagle) hipsters with the wide cotton bands around the legs. You might also just have the wrong saddle, or your saddle doesn't sit right on your horse.

Default Don't make fun of me!

OK, don't make fun of me, but the solution we found was boy underwear! When I was a working student, last summer, in FL...obviously heat and chafing became an issue!

We asked the trainers and they told us they were both riding in Hanes Men's ComfortSoft Briefs!!! I felt really weird buying and trying them for the first time, but let me tell you...they are AWESOME!!! And as an added bonus, they cost like $2 a pair, not 50!

Let me find a link:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-...-Pack/10761353

We all ended up wearing them...and as an added bonus, they really get rid of panty lines since the leg opening is so low. I wear a size 8-10 in womens clothes and wear a M in these, so you may have to think a little about the sizes.

Worth a shot for so cheap! Good luck!

I don't see it on their site anymore, but about a year ago I got totally seamless underwear from Victoria's Secret. It's made of a somewhat shiny material, and unlike all the rest of the "seamless" underwear, it literally is one piece of fabric and the only seam is one four inch seam on the back. No seams along the bands, sides or anything. It's the most perfect riding underwear I've ever found, but I don't know if they make it anymore.

Echodecker - do these Hanes, um, "bulge" in the front? Sounds like an interesting solution, and I'm all about the cost thing!

Haha, I was right with you, but no they don't! I think that since my anatomy doesn't make them "bulge", the fabric never gets stretched out. They aren't made in a shape so I think they are just like girl briefs unless they are stretched out by a guy

Quote Originally Posted by CobJockey View Post
    I don't see it on their site anymore, but about a year ago I got totally seamless underwear from Victoria's Secret. It's made of a somewhat shiny material, and unlike all the rest of the "seamless" underwear, it literally is one piece of fabric and the only seam is one four inch seam on the back. No seams along the bands, sides or anything. It's the most perfect riding underwear I've ever found, but I don't know if they make it anymore.
    LOL, I have a pair of those, they are my show panties

OP are you having trouble with bruising while you adjust your pelvis? I went through a phase while i went from hunter seat to dressage seat where I was bruising myself every time I posted. My bike shorts with padded chamois helped alot, and cost the same as those panties you put a link to, except that they are shorts, and go down the leg (a bonus if you are also experiencing rubs)
    Seatbone and inner thigh sores can be cured with the bike shorts, or... wearing a thong. I used to hate thongs. then I discovered they tend to run small, so if you are a M in regular panties, you are a L in thongs.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by echodecker View Post
    OK, don't make fun of me, but

We asked the trainers and they told us they were both riding in Hanes Men's ComfortSoft Briefs!!! I felt really weird buying and trying them for the first time, but let me tell you...they are AWESOME!!! And as an added bonus, they cost like $2 a pair, not 50!

Let me find a link:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-...-Pack/10761353

Worth a shot for so cheap! Good luck!
    HaHa! Those are what my husband wears! If I don't like them, I can pass them on!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    OP are you having trouble with bruising while you adjust your pelvis? I went through a phase while i went from hunter seat to dressage seat where I was bruising myself every time I posted. My bike shorts with padded chamois helped alot, and cost the same as those panties you put a link to, except that they are shorts, and go down the leg (a bonus if you are also experiencing rubs)
    Seatbone and inner thigh sores can be cured with the bike shorts, or... wearing a thong. I used to hate thongs. then I discovered they tend to run small, so if you are a M in regular panties, you are a L in thongs.
    I used to bruise and rub from a combination of things that seemed to have a domino effect. I have since bought a new saddle which gets fitted to my horse every 6 months, and what a difference! But I'm still getting bruised and a bit of chafing every now and then when I have a particularly unbalanced ride. The new saddle gives me much more confidence to sit, so I'm still developing muscle memory. I believe in time and as my core strengthens this will become a non issue which is so much better than last year when I thought maybe I just wasn't cut out for riding.

I am fit - I run and do some strength training, but I've just got to master this balance thing. I'm so happy that I see it's coming! Now to find some underwear... Thanks for the posts so far. I'm looking into all the suggestions.

Great to hear you exercise outside of riding! I can certainly tell when i've missed a week of exercise.
    Running and strength training are great; what are you doing for flexibility? The two things I focus on are core strength, and flexibility. I stretch my hamstrings several times a day (mine tend to get tight FAST)
    I go through the vinyasa yoga cycle at least 3 days a week. Takes about 15 minutes and wow, makes a HUGE difference in the saddle. I also try to do the kenpo quad stretch before leaving for the barn. REALLY helps if you have a tendancy to get huntery in the saddle
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ditto to underarmour - I ride between 8 and 10 horses a day and I get no (really) chafing since changing over to these a couple of years ago. Before that I had tried so many different kinds, I thought "monkey butt" just was an unsightly and painful of riding!

I also ride in UnderArmour compression shorts...they are great..I used to have really bad chafing problems in the FL heat with full seat breeches.
    Last edited by eks; Mar. 7, 2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: spelling

I also had a problem with chafing really bad and to add to it i get UTIs on a regluar basis so keeping that area in good order is important...lol....I went through all kinds of undies and then a friend induced me to UnderArmour! They work soooo well.....they are so comfy and I have not had any problems with chafing since however I ride endurance and in Im in Fl. Just gotta find what works for your body...Good luck

The only thing that has worked for me after trying many different panty styles is padded bike short skins. These are whats work best for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Canari-Liner-C...9503863&sr=8-1

I get that there might be circumstances where we get abnormally chafed and rubbed, but if this is happening regularly, get your saddle checked first ! Nobody should be putting up with crotch pain on a regular basis. It can be as simple as moving your balance point back half an inch - or we might need to to swap out your saddle for something with a bigger, or smaller seat size, or a narrower twist, or a smaller, or bigger thigh block, or a wider, or narrower seat.

I see on their home page that 'uncomfortable saddle' is cited as one reason to try fancy knickers. It's not. 'Uncomfortable saddle' is a reason to fix your saddle !

Girls ! Do not put up with saddles that knacker your nether-regions

Try Spanx. They're better than biking shorts.

Thongs in the summer. Pantihose in the winter.

Both of these work because there is no elastic around the leg.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Try riding in deerskin breeches. I like Tropical Rider.

Doesn't help with the bruising, but Chamois Butt'r is what all the bikers used and it works wonders and is totally safe for "down there." http://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-.../dp/B000HZGTUS

Also, I second (third, fourth...) all the posts about a new saddle. I am a re-rider, and was having a really painful time with my old saddle which fit me perfectly when I was 16 (no longer!). For the longest time I thought it was my fault - out of shape, lost my seat, etc. Then I sucked it up and bought a new saddle with a wider twist - the pain vanished completely! It wasn't the cheapest solution, but TOTALLY worth the money.