The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Producer's Pride

Does anyone use this all grain feed? I did a search on the forums and I found that people consider it a low end feed. My horse has not been eating his feed lately. Unfortunately I don't know the name of the feed he is on (i've been at my barn for close to 10 years and I've slacked off on knowing the exact name of his feed). But he's always been on basic horse pellets (probably considered low end anyway).

He's a 15 yr old tb and has always been fat and an easy keeper. He has not really been cleaning up his feed. He still looks fat though. The BO suggested we switch to something else, which at my barn is Equine Senior. I've heard that some people are not too happy w/ this brand, which is why I went searching for feed today. He gets quality hay but I'm starting him on supplements so I need something to feed these w/? Any feedback appreciated. Sorry for the wordiness.

He's never been a picky eater and has stayed fat on the low to middle range pellets. He's pooping ok. He lost a shoe a couple of weeks ago and was very off for a couple of weeks. The guys who feed fed him a bit of the equine senior and he was eating that.
    Last edited by teal tea; Mar. 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Adding info

While I am not a big Purina fan (I assume that's the brand you mean when you say "Equine Senior"), I would feed anything they make in a heartbeat before I would feed Producer's Pride or any other generic "all grain" or "all stock" equivalent. For one thing, it is impossible to balance the nutrients in a feed in such a way that it would be appropriate for all species of livestock, as those feeds claim to be. In addition, frankly, you get what you pay for when it comes to feed ingredients, for the most part. Cheap feeds are cheap because they use cheap, lower quality ingredients. I used to work at TSC years ago, and I would not touch this feed with a ten foot pole, unless I had a couple of steerss hanging out in my back field getting fat or something like that.

We are a former Purina Gold Dealer.We still maintain a dealership with them though we have no plans to EVER have a feed store again.
    There are about three or four grades of feed w/in their system
    the lowest grades we referred to as "bait" to get a horse to the gate
    to catch him :>
    these feeds do no harm but also do no real good.
    the mid grade feeds were fine enough,but were meant to maintain a horse in his current state with no work.
    the higher end feeds were problem specific or meant to increase a horses condition or maintain him at work.

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Thanks for all of the responses.