The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grooming:

As shedding season seems to be upon us.. at least it is here, i'm looking for tips and tricks on shedding and just grooming in general! Thanks
    Veni, Vidi, Vici. I Came, I Saw, I Conquered.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Tip: do not wear chapstick while currying fuzzy horse.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Makes me want to spit just thinking about it These days I'm thankful I wear glasses when shedding season starts. Close enough to goggles

A good old-fashioned shedding blade. And a glorious bath on the first warm day! Then clippity-clip-clip goes the rest of the winter coat.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    HAHA yes!! I just laughed out loud and am getting funny looks! Also when you have a nose drip and both your hands/arms are full of hair
    Veni, Vidi, Vici. I Came, I Saw, I Conquered.

I just bought the thingy rizzo linked so I'm hoping it will work like a charm. But what I normally do is wait until after its rained and the horses are covered in mud. THEN I take the shedding blade to them. The mud really helps it grab the hair. The other day I went to brush the one that's shedding so bad and the hair just kept floating right back onto his body in clumps. Pretty aggravating for both of us. So I could brush it loose and then I had to take my hands and wipe it off of him. It shouldn't be that much work:lol I've used those little pumice stone bricks but a couple of my horses freak out at the sound of them going across their coats. Kinda goofy but they don't work that well to make me put up with the wide eyed 'Is it gunna EAT ME???' looks. And I don't clip my horses so that's never an option. #1 they wouldn't tolerate it #2 I would butcher their poor coats.

I agree with dw, CLIP!!!

I've actually been visiting my old, retired yak/horse this weekend (he lives with my mom...kill two birds with one stone!), and spent some time grooming him yeterday. Holy hand grenades!!! I DO NOT miss shedding season!!! All of my horses at home are clipped, so we have very little honest shedding season, and it makes life sooooo much more pleasant. And you never really go through that ugly coat stage (and if you are, you just clip it off!!!).

So, lots and lots of currying, a good bath if you can do it, then get a fresh set of blades and clip like crazy!!!

I'm seriously thinking about trying a vacuum this year... I think my horses were both trying to win the "yak-of-the-year" title this winter

Otherwise, I use some combination of curry, shedding blade, furminate, grooming block, bathe when its warm enough. ANd, silly as it looks, I put a fine mesh fly mask on MYSELF to keep the hair out of my face. It works like a charm!