The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On food stamps and owns 4 horses, one is a stallion

This is more of a rant than anything else. This is really none of my business, except that this person looks up to me as a mentor and likes to tell me all about her dramas. Or should I say, dumps all of her drama on me? I try to avoid her, but she likes to pounce on me when she gets the chance.

There is a 21 yr old girl that I know who works as a stall cleaner. She owns 4 horses which she boards at a crappy self care facility. She had 5 horses, but one died tragically due to her ignorance and that of the BO where she keeps them. These are all quarter horses and one is a 5 or 6 year old stallion. There is also a yearling stud colt. She is new to owning horses and has gone from leasee to owner in the last 2 years. She does not even ride these horses due in part to her work schedule, but mainly because of her physical condition. I have told her about the fuglyhorseoftheday website, in hopes of opening her eyes a bit. I am sure it has not worked. Her blinders are still on.

Now she tells me that she has been on food stamps for quite some time now. Talk about milking the system! Gross. Her situation with these horses and the fact that she might breed this stallion and make more craigslist horses just all seems so wrong to me. Of course you can't fix stupid. Stupid is as stupid does, or whatever it was that Forrest Gump said!

I know that there is nothing that I can really do. I have voiced my unsolicited opinion on occassion when she tells me one of her 5 million Walmart dramas. I have learned to just keep my mouth shut and avoid, avoid, avoid.

O.K. I am done with my rant now! I just had to get this off my chest. Thank you for reading this and letting me vent.

I've had a similar Rant myself at times. About all I can offer is you are not alone. ........... sigh
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

Welfare fraud! Unfortunately it's a fact of *the system*. In reality, no one who has, or earns, enough money to keep 4 or 5 horses would qualify for food stamps (unless they were not honest with the gov't. agency about what they own or earn).

Guess who is paying for her food stamps (and ultimately for her horses since the money she uses to feed her horses should be being used to feed herself!) Yup - it's all of us, the taxpayers who are funding her) So rant away!

Hope she gets caught and the money goes to those who are truly in need.

Makes me sick. I just don't know how people can have zero concience when it comes to doing the right thing. Maybe the food stamp police catch her drift and come after her?

And the out of state boyfriend also sends her money.

Report her to your states public assistance agency and they will investigate it. I know in FL public assistance fraud is a felony and taken seriously.
    If she can have horses she doesn't need food stamps.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

You can always report her for fraud: http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/aboutdhs/f...reportingfraud

Yeah - the more I talk to people with horses, the more I want to stop. While not working the system, I have a co-worker who is an idiot too; she has two ponies - one has a broken hip and she told me she gimps around but her husband gets on her (and her 2 year old colt). She also told me she's been looking for a farrier and the ponies haven't had their feet done in a year "or so"...we have a customer who is a farrier (we work at a bank) who will gladly take care of her ponies - I asked - but she says she doesn't like him. And not so horse related, she also told me she hates her dog (a wheaton terrier!) so she keeps it in a crate for 23 hours a day..."because he's stupid and eats crap and pukes it up." even though they feed him Ol' Roy, which she claims is top o' the line dog food. She gripes about the dog messing in his crate every single day.

Anyone want a Wheaton Terrier? I know where she lives

Ok, I will add my rant. Co-worker who is up to her eyeballs dealing with her worthless husband and 5 children. Had 2 horses and a pony, always getting out. She claims the one was a great jumper, so I always wondered why she didn't sell him as a "jumper prospect" on CL. Somehow he was injured and had to be put down. Still have the pony that nobody rides and a maybe green broke horse that nobody rides, not to mention that she's a very green rider.

And they never seem to get feet done unless her father-in-law does it (I'm sure he has a clue what he's doing), they feed bread that the bread guy gives them bc they run out of hay, and their water tank freezes up. Will she find them new homes? Hell no, bc some day she will have time to ride them and if she gets rid of them her husband will not let her get horses again. Constantly talks about sending the one to a trainer, despite the fact that once it comes back she has neither time nor talent to do anything with it. (The wonderful trainer claims he can train it in 30 days-yeah, but not for her to ride.)

And she had her lab bred. Bc what's one more BYB breeding labs?

I'd report the welfare woman though.

I also want to add my rant: Yesterday my BO shows me a new horse that came in on trial for one of her friends. Friend went to see horse and thought it would be a reliable trail horse. She also felt sorry for it. Parelli person comes and drops it off. Of course before she leaves she has to show the friend the special way of leading it by walking in front and flapping arms like chicken wings to "keep it out of your space". Horse is pitifully thin, a 2/3 on the Hennecke scale. Of course Parelli owner has been doing the feet trimming and horse is absurdly low in the heel and long in the toe. Also horse "knocked the fence over and got into the feed room last night and ate molasses and rabbit food". Owner also admitted that she had fed the horse ACORNS. Horse was colicking by the time I saw it and was still in pain even after vet had been out and administered banamine.

Some people should just rot in h***

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Yeah - the more I talk to people with horses, the more I want to stop. While not working the system, I have a co-worker who is an idiot too; she has two ponies - one has a broken hip and she told me she gimps around but her husband gets on her (and her 2 year old colt). She also told me she's been looking for a farrier and the ponies haven't had their feet done in a year "or so"...we have a customer who is a farrier (we work at a bank) who will gladly take care of her ponies - I asked - but she says she doesn't like him. And not so horse related, she also told me she hates her dog (a wheaton terrier!) so she keeps it in a crate for 23 hours a day..."because he's stupid and eats crap and pukes it up." even though they feed him Ol' Roy, which she claims is top o' the line dog food. She gripes about the dog messing in his crate every single day.

hundredacres, you must report this person to SPCA/appropriate organization, for the horses & the poor dog!

Report her for welfare fraud...I hate paying for these welfare whores.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Report her for welfare fraud...I hate paying for these welfare whores.
    I went to the dollar store this week to buy cleaning supplies. I only had a couple of items - no cart or basket, but this woman with a grossly overflowing cart hit the line at the same time that I did. Of course she pushed ahead of me. She had $60 in Easter CANDY and then pulled out her foodstamp card to pay for it all. Loser. And we wonder why there is a childhood obesity epedemic and an entitlement mentality.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    I went to the dollar store this week to buy cleaning supplies. I only had a couple of items - no cart or basket, but this woman with a grossly overflowing cart hit the line at the same time that I did. Of course she pushed ahead of me. She had $60 in Easter CANDY and then pulled out her foodstamp card to pay for it all. Loser. And we wonder why there is a childhood obesity epedemic and an entitlement mentality.
    You should see them at the grocery store. Cart FULL of top shelf food like steaks, lobster, etc all paid for on an EBT card. Then they whip out a wad of $20's or $100's and pay cash for a bunch of booze and cigarettes.

Knew a woman-- a sihgle mom--on public aid. Worked as a stable hand and the BO would let her ride a little. If she can buy riding gear why is she on welfare and Medicaid? This has a happy ending. This woman did pull herself up by the bootstraps and become a licensed vet teck.

Know another one who has lots of property, keep several horses, has no medical insurance for herself, and kids are on Medicaid. At least she works but not at anything that gives benefits.

Been part of Church Christmas programs which are Tag Tree to provide gifts to families/children listed thru Salvation Army or other programs. Show up to see what to list for these kids as gifts and mom meets you at the door with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. They can feed Their needs but not their kids.

The list is endless. People don't often make wise decisions. Haven't you seen the professional horse people who can drop 20/30K on a horse but can't afford to live on their own so they move back in with elderly parents and can't afford medical insurance? Have I ranted enough yet?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hoarders come in all shapes. Animal hoarders are the worst. Most " Just love dem horses." Or cats or dogs or what ever comes down the road.
    Most know nothing about what they are doing. Animals suffer and family suffers.
    The food stamp eligability workers need to get all the facts. They can only go on what they are told. If the subject of the first post did not tell them she has 3 or 4 horses then don't blame the eligability worker.
    I was told Food Stamps were granted by the income a person has. If it is under the State and Federal amount then they get the food stamps. Many people I know are under the income limit but do not go and apply for them.
    They say there are people sho need them worse than they do.
    IF you know for sure this person is cheating then by all means report her.
    But make sure you have all the facts first.
    If you hate to deal with this person then tell her so.
    It is better to be up front and honest that to let her think you are her friend.
    JMHO
    sadlmakr

I want to know how these wenches get away with this crap. When I was first divorced I applied, and twice was turned down for benni's from the state. Had two kids, and made $800 a month. Was told I "made too much money" and the rent my parents charged me wasn't enough to make me qualify. WTF?! Me, and two kids, pay $400 a month in rent and survive on the other $400?!?! When the Army followed my example and gave my exhubby (who had yet to make a child support payment after a year) the boot, I finally got SOME assistance and since the kids no longer had medical insurance they got that too.

I couldn't afford insurance for myself, so I went without doctors.

Got a better job, and WHAM I lost all my benni's before the beni's of the new job could kick in. No biggie, I wanted out of the system ASAP but not with the unceremonious "Hey, congratulations to you for trying to better your situation! We're going to give all the money you've been spending on good healthy food to some undeserving [woman] who blew her money on luxuries now."

Am I just too honest?

Didn't get my first horse until long after I'd gotten established without assistance, though. I had my aunt's horse to ride when I had time, and my money was better spent elsewhere.

I hate when people who don't NEED the assistance get it no problem, or who needed it, but are at a point they can live comfortably with out it, continue to get it. But when I needed it, I had to jump through hoops. There's a trick to manipulating the system I must not have learned. Aggravates me to no end. I didn't WANT the assistance I NEEDED it, and not long term. I was the type of person it was designed for. It's supposed to help you through a rough spell, not sustain you your entire miserable existance....UGH
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 6, 2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: language
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    And not so horse related, she also told me she hates her dog (a wheaton terrier!) so she keeps it in a crate for 23 hours a day..."because he's stupid and eats crap and pukes it up." even though they feed him Ol' Roy, which she claims is top o' the line dog food. She gripes about the dog messing in his crate every single day.

That is HORRIBLE. Omg, that freaks me out. How can you keep another living creature in that sort of situation? That is CRUELTY. And it makes me sick. Report her, I'd make something up if I had to do so. That is sick, 23 hours a day??? Sick, sick, sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    hundredacres, you must report this person to SPCA/appropriate organization, for the horses & the poor dog!
    Wish I could - there is no such organization here and since the horses have food and water, "no harm done" according to our local laws. Also....the dogs at the shelter are also in cages 23 hours a day - I doubt they'd have much to say. I did contact a Wheaten Terrier rescue and they'd try to place it if I could convince her to give the dog up . Coincidentally, I read that these terriers can have digestive problems.......I may try and talk her in to giving the dog up. Even if I have to take him myself and then beg a COTH'er to take him (I have 4 dogs now).

Quote Originally Posted by blackhorsegirl View Post
    Knew a woman-- a sihgle mom--on public aid. Worked as a stable hand and the BO would let her ride a little. If she can buy riding gear why is she on welfare and Medicaid? This has a happy ending. This woman did pull herself up by the bootstraps and become a licensed vet teck.
    Really? This is really worth commenting on? How dare someone on welfare actually get on a horse? Wow.